I need a little comparisons and opinions on popular budget throwers...

Hi I have a few questions regarding these light models. I wanna know how these lights perform stock and the level of moddability of each light… I would really appreciate throw numbers!! I’m currently looking at HD2010, Courui 2010, Yezl Y3 and Convoy X3. Which ones will give more power stock? Which will have more throw stock? Which will have an easier host to mod? Thanks guys!!

Here’s Tom’s mods on the Yezl (62kcd, 900lm Stock)

Quote from Tom:

Tom’s thread on the X3 (36kcd, 666lm stock)

Usually just search the name of the flashlight you’re looking for, followed by “kcd” or “cd” and you’ll get some good info.

Throw is largely a factor of reflector diameter. I absolutely love the X3, but it isn’t in the same class as the others. Which is easier to mod? I have no idea. I have a Courui, and the hardest part was getting the emitter centered and isolating the leads from the aluminum reflector. Courui or uf-1405/1504 are the top budget throwers (after mods) in my book.

I’ve got all of them except the HD2010. To answer your questions:

Which ones will give more power stock? Yezl Y3 looks the brightest via ceiling bounce test, but doesn’t throw as far as Courui at stock. The Y3 does come stock with annoying (for me) PWM compared to the other two I have.

Which will have more throw stock? Courui

Which will have an easier host to mod? I’ve only modded the Courui and tried to mod the Y3. I wasn’t able to mod my Y3 because the retaining rings were just impossible to remove (both from driver side and springs, so no braided springs for me). However, the Y3, if you can’t access the driver, the LED is easily accessible and the driver can also drive an MT-G2 if you prefer to swap it out over the XM-L2. I didn’t have any real issues with modding my Courui (thread here ).

I see… I would want to mod if not for my poor soldering skills… I have fried 2 emitters while soldering the last time and I’m kind of afraid to do it again