I pulled a Dell pack apart today, I think I came out ok???

I netted 6 good batteries atleast good for now. They all had about 3.82 volts resting. But, they are Sanyo UR18650ZTA’s. So, charge at 4.35 volts and max discharge rate is 5.8 amps. They will be good for daily users and such, and will be usable in some FET driven lights.

I only have 1 Liitokala 100 charger that will fully charge this type of cell, so it is going to be a slow go. Will have to see how they do after they rest awhile!

I can get them close in a 4 slot charger and top off in the 100.

Matt

What is the model/part # of the Dell battery pack that
you pulled these Sanyo UR18650ZTA batteries from ?
How did you get the Dell ?

Nice score. You came out great! Free batteries. I use pulls all around the house, dog walks. When you have so many available use them :smiley:

I have used 4.35 cells charged to 4.18 volts for years before I got a 4.35 charger. Having 4 cells for free outweighed the little loss in capacity.

It was a Dell n3x1d pack for the lattitude 64xx and 65xx series. Must have been something on the PCB that died, all of the batteries look good! It was a dead pack from work, they were going to toss it! :slight_smile:

The Dell packs I’ve opened have tended to have slightly “better” 18650s than others (mostly HP) I’ve tried. So far, for me, the majority have that same PCB problem. Lucky! The way I figure it, given the price of the lowest, least-capacity, most unreliable “store-bought” 18650, even if you only get one or two, you’re ahead of the game.

Don’t forget, you’re also doing your part to keep landfill space available for all the food and product packaging we throw away…

You can learn more about them here, thanks to HKJ:
Test / Review: Sanyo UR18650ZTA 3000mAh (Magenta)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121650839345?\_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here’s where I get mine. They come to me after I crack them out of their casing like an oyster @4.3 volts, I flip the 4.35 volt setting on my Opus and charge them the rest of the way. Leave some for me guys, really! Yes they are the magenta 4.35 volt ZTA’s. They look new to me, I believe they are 2013’s. I have not tested one yet, if someone want to remind me tomorrow I will test one’s capacity. Right now they are on sale for 18 plus 4.99 shipping. Comes out to $2.67 ea. That works for me. I like the slightly higher voltage throughout its runtime.
Enjoy! :face_with_monocle:

I am not a greenie, that said I think keeping this type of battery out of a landfill is a huge win given the numbers of them being made and discarded. When I have one go bad or I do not like it they go to a real recycler, not the trash can.

Matt

Excellent score Matt,

I just saved 9 almost new Samsung 13Q cells from a discarded Milwaukee battery pack. The good pulls all test to capacity. While 1300 mAh is low capacity for $0.00 cost I’ll find plenty of use for them.