I saw an 18V cordless drill body for $6.99 with no battery can i wire it for li ion?

I already have this identical drill with a battery so this is a thought experiment more then anything

Yesterday i was at a clearance store and i saw an 18V NiCad drill body for $6.99. How well would it work (discharge curves and all) if i used 5 li ion batteries for it, i don’t have a carrier that plugs in to the drill but perhaps i can make one, but how would i handle charging the batteries, preventing reverse current problems and keep the batteries from over discharging?

You could wire them up with balance leads protection circuit and a socket for a hobby charger’s balancing plug. Been playing with similar for an old black and decker 18v.

Went down the path for an experiment of using a couple of laptop batteries, worked ok but the control mcb of the packs got very hot fast LOL.

i wonder if i should just buy a depleted li ion battery pack and replace the batteries since it will have the balance and over discharge circuitry

There was a thread here were someone wired old lithium batteries from an MacBook in the old batterycase. He used it with a bunch of tools.

Would be the easiest if it were similar voltage. But where is the fun in that :bigsmile: 0:) :wink:

These guys had lots of fun :smiley:

As long as they did not file a PayPal claim saying it was delivered like that >) :face_with_monocle:

Next time my phone plays up I will show it that video J)

I was thinking the same, as my cordless drill has ancient NiCd cells…
It’s also 18 Volts.
But decided to buy a new one with 3S1P Li-Ion pack, containing 3 cheap 1300mAh 18650s.
They may be especially suited for high current though, because a cordless drill can be up to 150Watts (or something like that) when it it’s tough going.
I don’t think laptop pulls are high current cells usually.

I would have bought it though.
Probably a 2 gear machine, nice.

I can still go back and buy it but is there a reason to, i have one already and its got about 10 hours of use on it.

very, very good point