I want to learn how to mod a flashlight.

is there a link/thread for him on how to test his drivers to see how many amps it getting or any other info on how to use a DMM....That's one thing i never found when i started back then lol

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/Measurement%20UK.html

I believe this is such a cool idea! I would LOVE to get into modding myself. We could do a blf group light. Give everyone a couple of weeks to gather all their tools and make an order for certain things. maybe have a YouTube vid of step by step for noobs?

I'm interested. I just shuffled some lights off for new drivers, or the flashing of a driver. It would be nice to learn how to do driver swaps/installs and emitters. I currently feel like I'm on the outskirts of my hobby because of my inability to do these things. Show me the way in the persistance of vision...

Well, if enough people can agree on the host, it would be a fun deal. I would volunteer to possibly do a video of the step by step, if I were asked to and I'm sure others here who are modders would be willing to do the same.

We would have to figure out a host light first. Someone sharp enough to be able to list off a few of the best under $20 lights that can be modded easily and easily accessible to all (group buy for the host possibly), and maybe have a poll to figure out which one is the most popular for a host light. Then decide on what to mod, like a different emitter, heat sink, etc.

Anyone want to try to help set up something like that. Good organiser? Hopefully a modder who is up on which boards and such? Any sharp modders here want to help work it out?

First step, decide on battery type?

Then decide on a possible list of hosts and have a poll?

Yes, No? Help?

I have limited knowledge of all the lights out there and the only one I would say (off the top of my head), is good for a beginner is this light. Only because it will accept an 18650 or 3AAA and it already comes with a glass lens, aluminum reflector and a heat sink that can be modified. I am sure there are a bunch of them out there like that, but it's the only one I know of. That's why some other modders need to chime in on an easy to mod, versatile light.

I think a good approach may be to make or mod a P60 drop-in (making one from scratch is easier and cleaner, and modding one can be a practice for removing thermal pastes or adhesives and desoldering).

It's easy to work with, covers all the basics (choosing parts, de/soldering, fitting, thermal management, etc.), users can choose battery types to their liking, is cheap, and won't ruin a light if the mod doesn't work.

Well I think we need to get back on track and just build a simple light to start.

I think Garry Bunk was spot on in listing the parts needed to build a good light. The total cost was under $25 which most of us are willing to spend.

A second light might get a little deeper into mods and explaining how they effect the final product.

A C8 or variant may be a good choice, as the pill can be used in a P60.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe one you guys with more experience will do a step by step. I don’t even know what a P60 drop in is or what it goes into, so it would be interesting to see.

Actually, I just remembered the the flashlight wiki has a guide for this: http://flashlight-wiki.com/DIY_P60

Haven't read it thoroughly, so I don't know if it covers everything, but looks good.

Yeah it would be cool to be able to choose the mode. Let's get this started

Fire extinguisher (A, B, C)

Bucket of sand or big box of baking soda for smaller fires

Full understanding that you cannot put out a lithium battery fire, period, no way.

Eye protection and you _use_ the eye shields

Eye wash (bottle of water, sink) for the time you don't use the eye shields

Exhaust fan

Understanding of what the words "adequate ventilation" mean

Don't ask how I learned each of these.

Wow I'd love to hear those stories...

How about a Solarforce L2p for a host?

Hey Chicago X, I feel a little slow on the up-take. I didn't notice the resemblance of a P-60 pill when I removed the screw-in pill from my C8.

I really want to build a couple of pills for both the P60 and C8 format lights. XP-E's, XP-G's, ultra-violet, and maybe a green LED too.

I thought the C8 pill was different than the P60. I haven't seen many suppliers for C8 pills, and the plastic shield that protects the emitter for the C8 pill at all.

As a side-bar, I have a C8 with an XR-E that I'd like to build a series of pills to investigate performances head to head.

Show me what you got!

I like this thread. I just googled "ultrafire c8 host" and this was one of the higher "hits".

$12.00 - Ultrafire C8 host, user adds led, driver and battery for a complete light. Price goes down to $9.90 each, purchase 5 or more.

I don't know anything about this website / vendor, but the deal looks good from a price point.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1144

I have some questions about their lack of details, but I have emailed them for further info.

There are no descriptions on the 7 different reflectors.

I'd like to know if the pill protector disk is included.

I'll post the answers when they reply.

later,

KD has the LED isolator disks. You have read this thread too, right? Somewhere around here we discussed P60 vs. C8 pills. They are different except for few (1?) which I think is a Trustfire, if I remember correctly, which uses a P60 pill into a C8 sized screw-in pill - ah! Found it! Trustfire TF-R2.

-Garry

That host seems very expensive for our needs.

I've also been emailing Ric about the C8 host kit. He is more than willing to do a group buy.

Corrected my link to "this thread" in post 31 above. (Oops! Hate when I do that!)

-Garry

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the fast reply. I have been trying to find the link that specifically states C8 lights will work with P60 pills. I haven't found it yet, in fact several of the links that claimed to discuss this issue gave "404 page not found" errors.

From my point of view, P60 compatibility isn't that important to me. I'm more concerned with parts from different sources mating correctly, it wouldn't take much mis-match to wreck the relationship between LED and reflector to ruin the effort of building a flashlight. I don't think that reflectors are the same beyond smooth or OP, within the same family of pills.

I'm most reluctant in assembling parts, (reflectors and led's), into finished work, when we know that very small variances have very significant results. I guess that my desires to experiment aren't that great right now. I am mostly interested in throw with little spill.

So far I'm happiest with custom driver swaps. So-far my meager collection of lights, seem to have led's and reflectors that match.

I'm never going to have 15 - 20 lights, but I have noticed that if I am patient, I can find many of the lights I like at very good sale prices. At that point I don't mind investing in the driver of my choice.

All that to say, I'm still looking