I want your opinions

In this following order:

BLF A6 or Astrolux S1 = Cheapest and most versatile 18650 tube light to date. One of greatest UI's ever (but I am biased ;)) Also inclusion or availability of short tube makes for easy second 18350 light.

Manker T01 - Amazing output and throw for its size and 14500. Can use 14500 or AA. Quality is better than the A6 but also twice as much.

I think the BLF A6 is awesome but isn’t it now gone? Or maybe its only the $40 Astrolux that’s left? Idk, but if its much more than the original group-buy price I think its too expensive, assuming quality is on par with the original runs.

The MH20 is a funky light to me. I’ve got one but its just kinda bulky, I think. The head is almost too big for its body. Its a fine light with a weird UI, but I can’t pocket carry it comfortably. So for edc, like you said, this one would be out for me.

The Godmes T01 isn’t a light I own. I’m interested in it, but I think its too expensive for what it is. And honestly I don’t think I’ll buy it as long as it says Godmes on it. If they go back to putting Manker on it then maybe I’m interested again, but Godmes is a stupid name for a flashlight company. And the price is out of line. I just can’t stomach paying Zebralight money for a Manker. Maybe that’s not fair and they’re really capable of building that good of a light, but I haven’t seen it yet.

One more to consider, since you asked for it: illumn has the Thrunite TN12 on blowout for $30. That’s a very good price on that light. The newer version has better mode spacing, but that older guy is still pretty great. I’ve got the new version, but I kinda want to buy one of these just to strip it and use it as a host. Think they’re a booger to open up though.

I agree with what bugsy36 said. The BLF A6 is a very nice light with great neutral white tint, but the quality and throw of the Manker T01 will be superior.

Overall output and tint will be superior with BLF A6, but portability and throw will be better with the Manker. If throw is very important to you, I suggest the Manker.

MH20 is the only one with USB internal charger.

Ciao

For $30 and both tubes, I can’t see the OP going wrong with this deal.

Best of both worlds, short tube for pocketability and regular tube for greater versatility.

Plus range of available tints. :slight_smile:

. . . . .

Leaving enough leftover to purchase one of these smart chargers.

And some batteries. (Definitely need some IMR 18350’s to get the most out of the direct drive Astrolux.)

I can’t give any opinion since the last time i was told never to teach someone to fly if you can’t fly yourself

Thanks for all the replies so far. So, I’ve eliminated the mh20. The a6 with the short tube seems versatile. So, let me clarify a couple of things. I’m not set on NW but prefer it. The same goes for throw. I don’t need pure throw but I like it. Because of where I live I often need to see a couple hundred feet away. It seems that the blf a6/astrolux s1, while not really throwy puts out plenty of light to reach out that far. So, any more suggestions or comments appreciated. I’ll let you all know what I finally decide on. You guys are great here on blf!

For maximum output, you’ll need to get high drain batteries for the Astrolux. I’d recommend you get the Keeppower IMR 18350 and the Samsung 30Q 18650, listed in the previous message.

For longer runtimes, you can try the Xtar 18350 900mah (black label) and the Panasonic NCR 18650B 3400mah. I say “try” because I personally haven’t used them, these suggestions come solely based on published capacity ratings:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallSummary%20UK.html
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

I have some 30q’s inbound. I don’t have any 18350’s yet so I’ll take a look at the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions. My only hesitation with the astrolux is that it would be coming from China. My last couple bangood orders from the China warehouse have been…frustrating. I’m still waiting

I only have the BLF A6 and MH20, but out of those three I’d personally choose the MH20. The diameter is a bit bigger but has more throw than the A6 and it’s much shorter. Plus I find it annoying that the A6 has 7 levels of output and sometimes I accidentally move backwards in the modes.

If you’re going to edc it and actually use it (not just play around with them like I do) then you’ve gotta go with and 18650, otherwise you’re going to have a short runtime which limits the usefulness of the flashlight. If you plan on using for more than 20 minutes at a time I’d stay away from an AA/14500 light. If you want throw you NEED to get a light with an XPL HI emitter. That emitter is just amazing.

I’d say try to hold out for a group buy or some other deal and get a Nitecore P12GT or Niteye MS-R28. Both use the XPL-HI emitter.

PM freeme, he might be able to get you a code for the MS-R28 for several bucks under your budget.

I think Acebeam’s EC32 is also a good choice, it’s lighter than other single cell 18650 and has a side switch. I’m kind of a sucker for side switches, they’re so much more convenient.

Join the Alu version of the X6/X5 group buy.

And I think that Governments don’t really look out for their “people” as much and as often and they look out for themselves. Hey you asked “I want your opinions”, so see what you get? :slight_smile:

What is the Alu version of the group by? Excuse my ignorance. And i enjoy hearing all opinions :slight_smile:

BLF X6/X5 Special Edition flashlight set.

Reference: BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Tentative price for the HAIII Aluminum set: $50.00

Production/delivery date: Unknown

The BLF A6 or the Astrolux version (actually the same light by the same maker) are great lights if you like the UI, and tube lights are very ‘pocketable’ compared to headed ones. No experience with the others you mention but I’m a fan of the Convoy C8 which does everything well at a superb price. Fasttech has dozens of emitters and tints to choose from. Modded it can be awesome and still at a good price.

Phil

The p12gt looks nice. If that we’re in budget it would be at the top of the list. Maybe I’ll hold out a little longer and find a deal on it.

Out of the three you listed, my picks in this order:

1. Nitecore MH20 (NW version available)
I like the form and features, shorter lenght than S1, high output, quick acess to turbo, good throw (the slightly larger head and SMO reflector contribute), side switch with blue light battery power indicator.
Plus it’s an $80 light. So if you can get it for $50 then :party:

2. Astrolux S1
I have the BLF A6 and the S1 is a slightly upgraded version, high output on turbo, great neutral tint (3D), an excellent deal right now for $29 with the shorty tube included. (if you’re concerned about orders from BG China warehouse, always select Priority Direct Mail for the extra buck or two, your orders will arrive in 15-20 days)

3. Manker T01
Nice looking light and great output and throw for its size, but…14500 is low capacity vs 18650
AND first batch production run might have some issues, see this thread (starting at post #29):
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/36274#comment-859550

-

If you can up your budget another $15 I’d get this:
http://www.eagletac.com/html/dx30lc2/index.html

Choice of LED:
◦CREE XP-L HI V3 Cool White
or
◦CREE XP-L HI V2 Neutral White

1160 Lumens (904 ANSI)

284 yards beam distance

Instant access to high, fast access to low

Rear switch (on/off) AND side switch (modes)

Blue LED battery power indicator under the side switch

10 year warranty

18650 powered, plus it can also run on a pair of CR123A batteries if needed.

Very comparable to the P12GT for less dough, plus a more compact size (shorter & thinner)

Here’s where you can order one $15 over your budget (Sale price)
(pre-order for NW tint)
http://www.illuminationgear.com/EagleTac-DX30LC2-CLICKY-ETDX30LC2.htm

The eagletac looks nice. I must say I am a bit partial to eagletac because those were some of my first real flashlights. One of my all time favorite lights is a NW eagletac p10a2. However, I am able to get a nitecore p12GT right at my price range thanks to one of the wonderful members of this forum. Oh, if I could only by all of them! I know you all feel the same pain when set to a budget.

Definitely this in Aluminum for $50. It has improvements on the A6 driver with more options and reduction of un-necessary stepdown (always annoys me), the beam pattern is throwy/longer range that most people prefer, and you get 2 high output lights. No contest really!

Alright guys,
I’m on the GB list for the x6/x5. Certainly wasn’t easy to decide but hey, 2 lights won in the end. I really appreciate everyone’s input and help. I will definately keep some of these other suggestions on my list and I’m sure I will own some of them in the future.