I work in a prison...

i googled and cpf came up first…i think there’s one here, too

It's the "blindingly bright" part of it and "self-defense" part of it, that worries me. You don't get blindingly bright till you get to something like a full 3amps on an XM-L and you don't see that in Any key chain light, or even any single AA light.

There's a big difference from a little light that irritates the eyes and a bigger light that literally will hurt and confuse an attacker.

AAA and AA won't cut it, unless you are talking aboutthe newest 4AA lights that are coming out. That is way far away from Key chain or even belt clip. It is more like holster carry for sure. Nothing I see listed here, so far, is Blindingly bright, not even close.

OP, if you are looking for a mega bright key chain light, there are none. You need about 750-1000 lumens to blind someone to the point that they can't just move and get around you. 500 lumens is uncomfortable and makes you want to move out of the beam, but 1000 lumens hurts the eyes and makes you not be able to see anything for a few seconds. At least that's my feeling.

It sounds like you want the kind of incapacitating light needed to stop someone cold for a second or two and nothing small will do that. If you want self-defense, you need mace or a taser stick, or a night stick. Those sharp bezels will just anger an already angry and desperate animal.

Perhaps I’m a little too hopeful of having blinding light in that small a package. How about as bright as possible?

I know there will be no perfect light and I will have to find a balance. I don’t think I can get away with the Ugly Stick recommendation (over 17” long), as the Warden would certainly look at me quite funny…lol

So…revising my search, I would like to have a clip light, not too large (is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me), starts on high, perhaps w/a defense style bezel.

Also, garrybunk asked if I wanted a strobe setting…would a strobe be effective in disorienting an attacker?

I think the members here should recommend P60 style lights that have a good belt clip, such as Solarforce, with a E1320 drop in. A P60 style light can usually cover both small and bright enough to blind. Solarforce are well made and dependable. The "budget" lights are many times, nothing more than "cheap". I would trust a Solarforce over most of the budget lights out there.

Other members here will know more about Solarforce. I know they have defense bezels and high powered drop ins can be had for not very much money.

I'm just a maglite guy, but Foy would know all about Solarforce and so do others here.

clip, bezel, aaa, how about dis?

imo, in the size/output you’re talking, only slightly more disorienting than high (constant on) mode - iow, no

the natural reaction is to look away or close your eyes, that makes it harder to attack…but disorient takes some serious power

If you'd go with strobe get one with a very fast strobe. You'll just look ridiculous using a slow strobe on an attacker!

-Garry

Here's a Solarforce for $20 with a clip on it.

Here's an XM-L U3 drop in fot it.

Here's one of those killer bezels.

All you need is 18650 batteries and a charger, or CR123A batteries.

you might like a look at this …
….Solarforce Gladiator

Strobe actually serves a purpose for LEOs.

Of course, there is more to do than just shine it into the assailant’s eyes - it will disorient them, but not for a time and a half. Disorienting people with a strobe light is just the first measure, usually followed by taking advantage of the aggressors state of shock - usually with a more hands-on-approach. Club, kubaton, mace, handcuffs.

It’s like the celluloid heroes kicking sand and dust into the eyes of their (usually better armed) opponents in the movies, then taking them by surprise.

….

Sometimes, I carry my L2P (SF XML-U2 three-mode dropin, defensive stainless bezel, forward clicky) in a tactical ESP LHU-14 quick-draw, quick-release holster:

a photograph of mine, it’s on the far right:

If that would be okies for your dress code at work, I’d recommend that combo. In your case, you’d probably want a two-mode dropin, custom programmed; probably two modes (starting on alternating fast strobe, then high or mid or whatever you need to find your way to the next fuse panel or the generator room to top off the diesel tanks, again)

hope that helps & all the best - prisons really give me the creeps, hats off to you and the brave ones who do that job!

I’ll be honest, reading this, the first thing I thought was xm-l solarforce, and I won’t recommend p60’s as a rule, + you have the option of using 2 cr123 cells if you feel better with these than li ion cells.

For a drop in, you’d perhaps be better with hi-lo-strobe memory. Set the strobe on memory and you can move on in a none emergency situation. As old lumens says, I’d forget strike bezzels, if your that close you want the light in your non dominant hand and a Billy club etc in the dominant. Use the strobe to disorientate (a forward clicky may be best here, momentary on strobe).

I can’t help with actual host or drop ins, these are just my thoughts on the subject. It should be pointed out that the solarforce is based on the surefire design that seems to have been intended for law enforcement/soldiers so seems a good suggestion for your situation.

id recommend against the aggressive attack bezels myself in this situation. could you imagine what could happen if an inmate got a hold of those 2” spikes

two-inchers! :open_mouth:

Gosh, I bet he wouldn’t even be allowed inside with those, as they would be regarded as a weapon. I’d stick with the much shorter B5-bezel, great for teasing knuckles and ribs when twisted back and forth upon, even with the corners rounded off and deburred with a file.

Properly aimed, a pencil can be as devastating, though. Remember Edward Bulver-Lytton:

“True, this! — Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.”

unfortunately most AA light aren’t as bright as 18650 light… but if budget is your concern
this light make a nice weapon… er… i meant light :wink: , it has a nice solid weight feel to it and of course the bezel is a plus too :smiley:

Forgive me for being brutally honest here but I feel I need to say this. You work in a prison. Regardless of your classification, there are things that you should have with you at all times. A flashlight is one of them. It’s a potential life saving device. Personally I would recommend an l2 with a xp-g emitter, but if you are not comfortable with lithium ion technology any of the other choices would be just fine using primary batteries. I would stay away from any type of bezel that is sharp. Your potential weapon becomes their potential weapon, not to mention if you did use the flashlight as a weapon you don’t want these guys bleeding all over you. Most of them are a walking biology lab with all the diseases that they have. Whatever your choice in flashlights may be, learn how to use it as a kubaton you haven’t already done so. Again sorry to sound so harsh. It’s just that in the last 30 days alone, I’ve seen four officers whom are good friends of mine go out in ambulances instead of the front gate. Stay vigilant. Stay safe. Let us know what kind of flashlight you decide. :slight_smile:

No forgiveness needed.

I am quite the fan of brutal honesty. I have seen the worst of what offenders can do to security staff and other offenders. It is indeed brutal!

As far as my job…I am not in security, but more admin. I will soon be on the education side as a teacher. On the whole, offenders in the education department are well behaved (relatively speaking) when compared to the general population. That being said, knuckleheads will be knuckleheads! That is why I would like to have something besides gas…especially if the lights go out. We have emergency back-up lighting…but you know how that goes with budget cuts and all…lol.

I really appreciate all the info from everyone here. I have been a part of forums (for other products/services), and many times they belittle you or insult your intelligence. I must say, that has, refreshingly, not happened here at BLF. The advice I have so far received has really has helped me know what to look for. No…I won’t have 2” blades on the end of a 2’ flashlight…lol. I just want small, bright, clip, EDC type light that has somewhat of a bezel…and frugal of course!

In my position, we are taught to be vigilant and always ask…“What if?”. A nice flashlight would certainly come in handy in one of those “What if?” situations.

Thanks for the brutal honesty and recommendations everybody!

Whatever you decide, come back and show off what you got.Wink

A strobe would be great for those midnight prison rave parties!

You speaking from experience? :)

-Garry