I would like a real bright light that I I don't have to build. Battery type isn't important. Aa and aaa are easier for me to get

I think an 18650 light with built-in USB charging and voltage monitoring is a better choice for OP than one that takes AAs. While NiMH and lithium AAs can perform well, unless you have eight of them, alkalines have pretty poor performance when asked to produce say, 1000 lumens like many of the multi-AA lights being suggested can.

The Niteye EC-R26 is $45ish on Illumn, and I think they take “BLF” as a discount code such that the light and an LG MJ1 battery are under $50. That’s probably what I’d go with.

A little late but this might help someone.

I recently purchased a Thrunite Archer 1AV2 from Amazon Canada for $33 CND which converts to about $23 AMD.
With a NiMH rechargeable it produces 205 lumens on high and with 14500 Li-ion it produces 465 lumens on high.
Very attractive beam pattern IMO and bright for it’s size. Impressive throw and useful flood.

I chose the neutral white over the cool white as I prefer more natural colors.
selfbuilt did an excellent review at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400041

With a 14500 li-ion I was able to maintain it on high (465 lumens) for 42 minutes before step-down.
It only became moderately warm. Overall I’m very pleased with this relatively small inexpensive quality light that is very bright.

For a light bright enough to use around the house (inside) get in on the current Group Buy of the BLF 348. Single AAA or 10440 cell with a Nichia 219B emitter for really creamy white goodness. Going for just under $7 USD right now. Measured lumens with a regular AAA is about 40-50. Much brighter with a 10440 Li-Ion rechargeable, but gets very hot very, very fast so short uses only.

Otherwise the TerraLUX Lightstar 80 is two AAA, around 150 lumens with a very nice beam with no artifacts. Selling for about $15 USD at Battery Junction. Streamlight has some very nice one AA Protac lights as well for under $50. I am partial to the EMS since it always starts on low and has no strobe.

Any Convoy S2+ with 8* AMC7135 drivers for a flood of light.

Any Convoy C8 with 8* AMC7135 drivers will produce a lot of throw.

Both of these flashlights use 18650 batteries. You will still get lots of light if you chose 4* AMC7135 drivers for the S2+.

If you want a flashlight with both flood/throw look at a Convoy M1.

I have owned many AA powered flashlights. These Convoys are small, powerful, and bright. Simply a better value than most AA powered flashlights.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/330416?spm=2114.12010108.0.32.6mSNGD

I really like Xtar chargers.

If you are not interested in a 18650 powered light look at Olight’s AA powered Baton’s. You will get more lumens for you money with 18650 powered flashlights.

I own the Convoy C8 with 7135*8 driver and agree fully that this is an exceptional bright throw light.

So impressed with the value, quality/price/performance, that I’ve ordered an S2+ 7135*8 for more floody needs.

Not sure Bkrumnow or anyone will currently find a light that is both “bright bright” and uses “common batteries” (NiMH or Alkaline I assume)

The Thrunite Archer 1AV2 I mentioned in post #21 gets 400+ lumen with an extension tube and 2 X AA’s or alternately use the Archer 2AV2 which comes with the tube.

I think that’s close to the best you can do with AA cells with half decent run times.

Of course you will get much higher lumens with Li-ion batteries and the 18650 size is a sweet spot, but it does require buying good (i.e. safe) batteries and a charger.

I agree Thrunite Archer 1AV2 would be a great choice also. :slight_smile: