Ideas for e21a and optisolis hosts

Floor me with your suggestions; looks, function, easily modded. 90 degree or straight. A centered headlight would be nice, too. It would be a plus if a 90 degree could face up on its back.

Right now I’m thinking two Wizard Pros, and my d4v2’s if I can source drivers for them. I think that the e21a could benefit from more thermal mass than the AT Wizard Pro, though?

I don’t think D4 is right host for 4 leds array mod.

You need to start with suitable optics (bubbles top) or reflector (OP or MR).

Astrolux S4X series? Already a quad, already available with Nichia 219. Maybe the S41S Colored?

Seems that this thread name will bring many misunderstandings.
For e21a, you don’t need quad host, because there is still no “regular” quad PCBs for these LEDs available. But you can use them with special 4x array PCB (or even XM PCB) close to each other, with big base tir or reflector, in many single led hosts.

I would think this would be a great mod for the FW1A, already has an OP reflector and it could be reamed if need be.

Since you’re talking about Wizard Pro Rofis R1, R2, R3 or R4 are also good hosts for e21A. Can be anywhere between straight and 90 degrees. I have R1 with quadtrix and R2 with single e21A. There’s donut hole with stock reflector even with single emitter but easily fixed with DC fix or optics (I sanded down 17mm Yajiamei).

I decided to convert FW3S into FW1S with Virence’s E21 quadtrix. Convoy S2+ reflector isthe best solution but i might end up with TIR also from Virence.

Nice id! Did you use the ss fw1a bezel and spacers under the mcpcb? Beamshots?

Sorry brother, it’s still on hold. Other family things got more important so most likely i’ll have time in 2 weeks to continue.

So far it’s as is in picture, only temporary installed for a clearence check and marking stuff to rework.

I used stock mcpcb and 1 extra triple mcpcb, filed down the painted area and solder together.

E21 quadtrix is on top of that copper heatsink and it will be also soldered once i confirm how much i have to file bottom of it for TIR/reflector clearence.

Bezel is SS for FW1A, fits perfect!

Maybe tomorrow i’ll find some time to post components pics

I don’t like a floody flashlight so I expect it to be a worklight or lantern. A lantern would be better with a side switch. The Rofis is a great example of something that I wouldn’t have found on my own.

You’re gonna smoke those poor little E21 LEDs with a FET DD driver.
Very low Vf and relatively poor thermal properties.
Before you know it you’re well over 2 Amperes for each LED and then the heat will will fry them.

This doesn’t count?
https://www.virence.com/product-page/vr21p4

I have an R1 I’d like to mod with one of these. What do I need to order?

You can buy e21A or e17A emitters and mcpcb for quadtrix from Clemence here. You can have him reflow the leds too since they’re quite difficult to reflow properly. Bezel of r1 is press-fitted but not that difficult to remove. Here is an example of how to remove it without damaging it so much. It uses 16mm mcpcb. With stock reflector, beam will be ugly and have a very distinct donut hole. DC fix which you can buy from Boaz here in BLF cleans the beam nicely. If you want to use optics I used 17mm Yajiamei but had to trim it down the base with sandpaper to make it fit. You would also need something to press the bezel back into place at reassembly. Be careful when pressing down bezel and make sure the optics is aligned properly so as not to crush the leds (e21A and e17a are quite fragile). If the optics is too tall you might also break the glass lens while pressing so make sure it’s the right height.

Is $56 for the Wizard Pro at armytekstore.com normal? Or is it a temporary sale?

And wonder if these $56 ones will have LVP?

BLF35 is the discount code on Armytek.com for 35% off. Brings the Wizard Pro Nichia 144a down to $58.50. I bought 2 to get free shipping and a guy from Reddit is buying the second one from me.

The production Nichia versions that have been received have been tested to have LVP.

Not for armytekstore.com, though. Its already $56. You had me excited there thinking it was going to be $40.

The site is a little off. The V3 shows up on the front page with new products, but its only in cool, and you can’t find it under headlamps. I wonder why there’s armytek.com and armytekstore.com?

Well its $4 cheaper on Armytek.com after coupon, but they don’t show the V3 on that site.

I’m fidgeting now because I see the Wizard is longer and bigger than any other 18650 headlamp. The Tiara is also so cute and attractively sized, and would get you through one night.