Ideas to mod my shelf queen - TR-J18

Hi,

I just noticed TR-J18 in my shelf. I haven’t really used it. Output is good but… output doesn’t justify it’s size. So, I would like to mod it.

I just checked it’s takes about 3A (@12v) on tailcap. For 7 leds thats kinda meehhh…

It uses TR-0169D driver:

Look like LEDs are wired in series. Just checked output voltage from driver was about 17-18v.

I haven’t done much modding so I want to hear any suggestion. Is there a way to mod current driver to get more Amps? I would prefer to try to mod this driver.

If that’s not possible what driver you would suggest? So far this look like a best option http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020419 but maybe there are better options? Right now $20 for driver sounds like a bit expensive but probably that would be worth it 0:)

Is there a resistor bridge “trick” you can do with that driver?

Definitely a boost circuit, if it uses 6-12vdc input and outputs 17-18vdc…wow

Is there any way to parallel the emitters?

found these

Only way to be able to go to a direct drive or linear regulated is to somehow cut the traces and/or make the emitter star parallel instead of series, and when you do that, you have to beef up the switch in the tail cap because current levels go WAY up when you do that

on my TR-J18 I used R220 resistor… it will gives extra oomph, and on one of my TR-J18 I used KD “monster” driver.
It certainly elicit more “WOW” from non flasholics friends but after about 15 mins on HIGH mode it’s goes kaput :stuck_out_tongue:
so I stick with R220 resistor mod on all my TR-J18 :slight_smile:

Thanks for links but look like mine driver is different than this Modified TrustFire TR-J18 +4800 lumen OTF . :confused:

Well, I don’t want to see how flashlight goes kaput :bigsmile:
I have to admit that I’m not very familiar with resistor mods.

I see there are a lot of resistors (At least I think those thing are resistors LOL)

Well:
R1: 151
R2: 103
R3: 334
R4: 754
R6: 331
R7: 103
R8: 3R30
R10: R500

I guess R10 [R500] should be replaced with lower resistance one, right?
I don’t like it’s location lol.
Any suggestion what resistor I should use instead?

Not sure if I will be able to do that but I can try.

Sorry for my noobish questions and my English. :wink:

R 5 is empty, so an extra R500 would do for starters :party: ,but IMO the main problem with these drivers is that they immidiately starts to ramp down the drive current when you turn on the light no matter how it is resistor modded and heatsinked :~ BTW drive current is higher from two cells than from three for some strange reason.

you could just straighten those 2 black thingies and soldered R220 on top of it… that’s what I did :smiley:

So there is no need to remove R500? Look like I will be able to do that. lol :bigsmile:

I’m just trying to find right resistor. I just found out that my underdriven Small Sun ZY-T92 has two R200 resistors. JohnnyMac picture of that driver.
I might borrow one. :bigsmile: R200 should be OK for TR-J18? Later I could replace Small Sun`s resistors with R10 probably.

or you could just ordered it from www.fasttech.com

What about this driver from this post, he inserted a 18V max driver into 12x and a 15x, that sounds promising : LightMalls UltraFire 15T6 16000-Lumen 15xCree XM-L