Ignore user feature

I meant no offence or disregard for Chloe. Iā€™m sure admin will consider her request and get in contact regardless of the rest of this thread.

We have Mark as spam function, itā€™s pretty close to ignoreā€¦

Well ā€¦all except the ignore part of an ignore feature.

Actually you can. Just look in your account settings under the EDIT tab, thereā€™s a checkbox for ā€œEnable private messagesā€.

Ehhh, with all due respect :slight_smile: itā€™s actually nothing close to an ignore button, and should most definitely not be used as such. Hereā€™s a quick read on how and how not to use the SPAM button:

The majority is always right :slight_smile: if there was an offending post, i bet it would be removed asap by the use of spam function :slight_smile:

So, to answer the main question in this thread: if at all possible, I would prefer to avoid adding an IGNORE button. The main reason is that I simply donā€™t want offensive content to be visible to anybody. I personally do not like lewd posts and offensive language, and therefore I donā€™t want BLF to be a medium for distributing such stuff. If we have multiple conversations developing in the same thread by two groups or cliques of users that have mutually ignored either other, this would be a huge turn-off for new users and I wouldnā€™t feel right about serving up that content to anybody.

So, I would like to request that BLF users please make an effort to carefully scrutinize the content and tone of their posts to be sure they are not lewd, vulgar, divisive, or otherwise offensive. Please keep in mind that BLF is a relatively large community, composed of a lot of different guys like myself and a very small number of women (hi Chloe! :bigsmile: ), from all different walks of life and coming from many different countries, many of whom are not native English speakers. Our goal is to be friendly and welcoming to all of these different individuals, and take much care when posting to avoid being offensive, even unwittingly so, and simply focus on what we have in common hereā€” flashlights. In the event that anybody feels personally insulted to a degree that canā€™t just be forgotten, or worse yet, if anybody feels truly harassed, please contact me via PM. Even in these cases, the offender is often unaware of how his tone or language is affecting others, and I can simply work things out with him/her in a peaceful way. In the very, very rare case that the user is a truly incorrigible bully, devoid of any shred of decency or respect for others, I will add him/her to the very short list of active BLF users that have been banned.

Chloe, with this in mind, please donā€™t hesitate to PM me if somebody has been harassing you. On the other hand, if what you are seeing is just simply the typical blunders that we all make from time to time when speaking or writing, well, please excuse them/me and also help me look for an IGNORE button for the human race. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 to all of that. If something is offensive, or if someone is harassing, then use the "Contact the admin" button, by all means. That is what he is there for, among many other reasons...

Of course, there will always be some who need to be in a forum with a membership of one.

To add to this, I think some of the people who want the ā€œignoreā€ button would be surprised by the number of people that would use it on them. When you have an attitude of wanting to ignore parts of the world, it isnā€™t long before much of the world starts to ignore you back.

B42
B25364

Do you share the same IP? Weā€™ve had those too. :Sp

As most of us are well aware, there have been at least 4 members that once accumulated several thousands of posts on this site. Unfortunately, they also suffered from some sort of sick antisocial disorder that compelled them to heavily troll BLF. They took every opportunity to antagonize others. You dont see their posts any longer because they were deleted; along with their profiles and had their IPā€™s blocked. It took several of us to inform the admin and have it done, which was a long drawn out process. This is a very small forum. Take a look around and discover that many of the mainstream forums have peer rating systems and bots that penalize an abusive user, which keeps the trash where it belongs. :wink: In fact, it has worked so well for so long that most users never know of the abusive ones because they are removed almost immediately.

The better question might be: Why wouldnt we want a peer rating system? Unless you intend to abuse the system, it seems like a no-brainer that has already proven to be extremely effective.

Hmm, not sure what you are insinuating here FlashPilot, I actually thought B25364 username was mocking mine at first, he is definitely not me, and neither is this unnamed whoever you keep insulting (hope you arent saying Kriesler was that ā€œhorribleā€? ). I teased you to lighten things up and also show how easily offended people are, which it seems was more of an example than I intended, and maybe would even block me now if you had the ability? Iā€™m guessing this response is now directed at me when I have no relation to the people you are mad at, I only poked fun at your writing one word instead of another! :slight_smile:

This is why I agree with SB that an ignore button is not the greatest idea, I sympathize with Chloeā€™s request, but it just allows people to go through the world and block any/all opinions/ideas they donā€™t like, make them uncomfortable etc, and allow them to become more and more sensitive and/or extreme in viewpoint, more and more divided into their close knit group of acquaintances that think alike and more and more outrageous with comments and rules to block anything they donā€™t like or donā€™t agree with.

I donā€™t like the insults you piled upon some unnamed person and then casually linked it and some other user to me FlashPilot, much much more than anything I did by teasing about a funny mis wording in your post. But, Iā€™ll let it slide off my back and I wouldnā€™t block you if I could, and Iā€™ll not participate in labeling or attacks. In fact, I also hold the possibility in my mind open you didnā€™t mean to do that, and just are commenting on nothing more than a incorrect assumption that any B+numbers = same person. It would be a shame if I got mad and blocked you because I thought you got mad and tried to insult me because I teased you wouldnā€™t it? In fact maybe it would hurt me the block-er more than the block-ee later if you were discussing something and I missed what it was about because Iā€™d blocked you. Some would block for less with a block function, and youā€™d never know it. I think this is a prime example as to why itā€™s a divisive option that would definitely change BLF.

But really, whoever is bugging Chloe, take this as a call out here and knock it off before you cause enough disturbance to get yourself kicked out, maybe?

Congratulations! Youā€™ve bent over backwards to win ā€œthe pathetic drivel award of the yearā€. So stupidā€¦ :smiley: :smiley:

Some boards allow hateful/racist/etc. comments and I usually donā€™t stick around on boards like that when they donā€™t have an ignore function. But this site doesnā€™t allow any of that, so it seems like a simple ā€œmister admin, this person is harassing me, can you swing your mighty ban hammer?ā€ would do the trick here.

Chloe is a nice person and very helpful to the community, soā€¦

*grabs pitch fork and torch

Just tell us who the problem is :wink:

GROUP HUG

Which torch do you want? I got flooders, zoomers, throwersā€¦

The old school stick-on-fire type, though I guess an angry mob here at BLF would be carrying budget flashlights instead of medieval torches.

Iā€™d like my stick on fire torch to throw 600 meters. Anyone have any ideas?

Again, childish name calling and insulting. Youā€™d be on that banned list you like to talk about and poor reputation in no time with similar actions of yours Iā€™ve seen before here. Have a potato and get your blood glucose up so you arenā€™t so grumpy? :slight_smile:

This thread is starting to go south. It should be closed...