I'm new!

Hey guys,

I don’t believe I’ve introduced myself yet, so will do so now!

My name is Paul, and I’m from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. The name ‘sirpaul’ was a gaming handle from back in primary school, but seems to have stuck, despite it being a bit…well, childish :slight_smile:

I, like many other current members, have lurked these forums for a good while before making an account. I became interested in addicted to flashlights a little under a year ago, and, since then, have frequented the forums almost daily.

I’m currently a student in engineering, so the focus on ‘budget’ in this forum was definitely attractive :bigsmile:
I’m also surprised to see how friendly everyone here is - not full of arrogant elitists like many niche forums!

My first high-power LED flashlight was a $10, single CR123A pocket-rocket from DX. Before this, I had never seen a CREE LED. I had expected light output to be similar to that given off by a 5mm white LED! Despite the light having an output of only 80 lumens or so, I was amazed and immediately hooked.

At that point, I started reading around looking for a lumen monster. After reading many favorable reviews of the SRK on this forum, I bought one of the “real” XM-L2 SRKs from Ric. It arrived quite quickly, but unfortunately battery shipment had been delayed a bit. I simply couldn’t wait, so tore apart a laptop battery in order to test my light. I was blown away :heart_eyes: I use this light almost daily - a ceiling bounce lights up the room!

A few other lights I own:
Olight i1 (my keychain EDC, that I absolutely adore!)
Fenix HL30 (fishing and camping light)
Fenix LD12
Olight TC15
SupFire M6 (yet to arrive)
UltraFire WF-502B (beater light, FT SKU 1134202)

I’ve also had a few Archon’s that I’ve since gifted or sold off. Love the build quality, but the flashing modes really put me off, as did the incorrect SOS pattern (S-O-S-O-S-O…etc).

Anyhow, I think this is more than an adequate intro. I need to learn to be more concise!

Welcome to BLF! :party:

Welcome to BLF!

-Garry

Hi and welcome sirpaul. if you want to learn there is an amzing talent pool here to learn from. I'm bedazzled everyday here from some of the work the guys put into building drivers , led testing etc. Enjoy your stay.

I hope you have fun here, sirpaul!

welcome aboard sir :slight_smile:
and please enjoy your stay

Welcome to BLF, Paul! :party:

Welcome to the forum Paul.

I was born in Kitchener.

Welcome SirPaul.

Some of us picked up the M6 in group buy while back.

The SOS in it is "imperfect" akin to your Archons.

Please report your findings when it arrives.

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! I’m sure I’ll enjoy my time here. In time, I hope to be able to contribute something back.

Definitely - the skill of some members I can only hope to one day reach! My interests lie on the electrical side though. texaspyro’s work has so far been the most interesting.

Small world! Glad to see a fairly large number of Canadians in this forum.
I actually wasn’t born in KW. In fact, I wasn’t even born in Canada! My family emigrated here in 1999 from Romania. I think I’ve lived here long enough to call myself a Canadian, though :bigsmile:

That’s quite unfortunate. At least SOS mode in the M6 is hidden, unlike in the Archon. Not to mention that Archon is seen more as a premium light (at least the price suggests so) - no excuses for such a big mess-up. I will update this thread once I receive the light.