IMO, knurling, fins, crenellations, multi-sides, faceting, has gone OUT OF CONTROL.....

IMO the old school 6P was the acme of clean, straightforward, and practical design. This can be attested by how frequently the design has been copied or borrowed.

Holding one now and yeah the “T” looks like it could be part of an “R”. :person_facepalming:

YESSSSS!!! That 6P KICKS ASS!!! :beer:

Beautiful simple elegant design.

I have a now P60-fired Surefire Z2 that is a wonder to hold. If I’m gonna die someday with a flashlight in my hand I wouldn’t be embarrassed one bit in the afterlife by what they found in it. :laughing:

(Edited: meant to say ‘Z2’)

Like my L2M army… :smiley:

Or for another nice clean design, my moldy-oldie River Rock 2×C…

How old? It’s got an XR-E in it!

Nice River!

On the other hand we get this nowadays……

No offense Convoy, but really? This is a ‘PLUS’? :person_facepalming:

Gotta have that extreme cooling for the tailcap switch which gets blazing hot! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :beer:

I like simple and clean…. sometimes I have to make it myself….

Or alter what’s out there….

But I like me some nice normal knurling and round battery tubes…I dislike branding flats

Geeeez those are gorgeous. Wonderous. You belong working for yourself selling those things to an appreciative audience.

I’ll take the 3rd one from the top for $40 btw.

Afterall this is BLF. :laughing: :beer:

Btw the top one is that a zoomie?

I have to admit I don’t care for wild designs either, but I do want some grippy texture of some kind - not jagged and sharp, but not slippery smooth either.

I love my Convoy M2s, but they’re hard to hang onto especially with gloves or, or God forbid, you have snow on your gloves. I’ve had to wrap mine in hockey tape for that reason.

Another great light is the Thrunite T10ti - very nice performance wise and to carry, but so slippery that thumbing the switch is enough to push it through your hand unless you have it in a death grip - and I’ve learned that hockey tape won’t stick to titanium worth a darn!

Yup. A modicum of griptivity for me please! Oh, and just enough shallow, rounded crenellations so I’ll notice if I forgot it on.

Ya know I thought about the crenellations craze and I’ve concluded that while they’re useful for letting you know if the light’s on, one to three TINY holes in the bezel would do basically the same thing at a substantial machining and wasted material cost savings. Much less pocket abuse.

Some nice lights in this thread :slight_smile:

I have to say, though, that my attitude to knurling depends heavily on how I’m using the light. I wouldn’t want my Astrolux S41S in my pocket, because the knurling on the tube would double as a wood file, but it’s great to hold when I’m wearing gloves.

Aggressive knurling makes me a lot more confident that I won’t drop my light because of the reduced dexterity of gloved fingers. I always wear gloves when I’m out and about, so that’s a non-negotiable point. If I’m not using the S41S, it gets pocket-clipped to my belt, where the knurling is less able to do damage.

Indoors, however, and it’s the other way round. My Nitecore MT06MD is almost smooth, but has a very subtle ridging machined into it that I find just right for holding barehanded without it being so smooth as to feel too slippery.

I’ve also found the Convoy S2+ to be a decent middle ground - it has a bit of extra grip, especially if you have a matt-anodised model like the Desert Tan version, but it’s not a pocket snagging fabric ripper.

I have to admit that I find the new Convoy C8 a bit busy in its styling, though. I’m fine with the tailcap and the fins on the wide part of the head, and I like the knurling on the tube, but I do feel that it would look nicer if it was smooth at the point where it transitions from tube diameter to full head diameter. Basically a matter of personal preference in looks, rather than anything to do with function or usability.

But then you couldn’t call it an “attack head”.

Idk about you guys, but I have never once in my life needed to defend myself using a flashlight with pointy metal parts…
Or blind someone with strobe mode, for that matter.

Have you noticed vehicle styling lately? Faux grilles and vents galore.

Phony versions of functional elements of sports cars and the like that need them have trickled down to mundane daily drivers like Civics and Cruzes. Large expanses of cross-hatched black plastic panels are en vogue, and superfluously excessive.

And the openings on cars that do actually need that extra cooling capacity have turned into giant, gaping maws.

Light wise, I like what Olight does. While they can still get busy, they mix it up a bit and have a little extra flair, and not the ubiquitous diamond knurling.

IDK, Endy. Are you sure? With lights you mess with you could kill somebody flying a mile away by accident and not even know it except for a BBQ smelling type chemtrail.

:laughing:

Hahaa why thank you! You know I did make 2 of them….Super Courui things… :smiley:

No not a zoomie, it’s a modified style D36 size module 36x31mm smooth reflector, massive copper sink, thermal potted with Stycast, a XHP70.2 running on 2x 18350 Aspires pulling 13.85amps. FETDD KAN9 10amp FWD OP PB switch in a Surefire tail cap.

Makes for a nice carry light in a quick draw holster. :wink:

Wow. Very cool clean work, man. Jesse James and you would’ve prolly got along pretty good on set. :disguised_face:

Some of my smoothies :D