Improved XP LEDs

What happened to those poor N32mm boards?

7 years ago i was rocking only the best my LED lenser P7! hahahaha with a whole 200 lumens :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks to me like some kind of nasty rosin flux that just needs a little cleaning.

Whats the best way to clean that of? I’ve had that happen also burnt thermal paste?

I get the same thing when i’m reflowing leds on the white dsche quad boards , but nothing in noctigon …

Do those emitters look like this close up (link to source of below pic in the pic).

The particular part of the pdf that you posted is the same on the datasheets I have downloaded to my phone, which were put there a couple of months ago after I got a new phone, so it’s not something that’s super new.

However, I haven’t had time to look over the pdf posted on Cree’s website and see if there are any additional changes. The reason I say that is because there have been flux bins available as of late, from absolutely reliable sources, which eclipse the brightest bins Cree has published, perhaps they’ve updated the doc to make changes to thoses bins.

To answer the original question, like the others before me have posted, I have not seen any emitters available in the W bin range.

-Michael

ETA:

That’s quite interesting, if they changed the dome geometry them perhaps the beam pattern will be sans rings now?

How’s the beam pattern?

Is that a genuine Cree, not a LB copy or some other counterfeit?

Not at the moment, if i had thought about it when i was putting everything together i would have, but all those triples are in things i dont want to tear apart again at the moment just for that. one of those 21 xpls is the old style square ones, see if you can spot it.

They dont look like that, they were definitely xpls they had the same die and bond wires, just that the dome was less square, its like they figured out a way to cover the whole die without resorting to cutting the corners off as drastically.

Cheers all :slight_smile:

Ps allegedly they have them here in w2 bin, not sure i believe it though.

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut2840

Also some here

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160607143443&SearchText=xp-l+w2

not sure how much you can trust aliexpress though, ive never used it before.

thats the same shape the domes of the ones that i got had different tint and bin though

everydaysurvivalgear,

I don’t know what is available to you but I use alcohol and q-tips or if you want to spend a little more, get a aerosol can of Flux-Off Flux Remover.
I buy it with a built in scrub brush on the spray nozzle

Flux-Off

I still use a lot of rosin core solder and Flux-Off is the best I’ve found for rosin flux cleanup.
Lately I’ve been using Kester No-Clean Solder Paste
EP256 is my favorite. 63% lead 37% tin. It flows real nice.

Kester EP256 No Clean

Sorry another question!

Is the High Intensity version available in the V6 bin? again some sellers seem to stock them but could be lies…

Most “XP-L HI V6” are actually just V2. Top bin at the time is V3… There is no V5 or V6.

Cheers pal :slight_smile:

If Cutter claims they have a certain bin, they do.

Mark Riley is the owner of Cutter Electronics, they’re a listed Cree distributor, is a member here (welight) and TOS for years. I’ve never know anyone to have an issue with his specs.

They also occasionally get reels which are above max listed bins by Cree. There are some for sale over there now, and this has been discussed here recently, though not the ones you’re asking about.

The only V6 I see listed are standard XP-L, not High Intensity.

As far as AliExpress, I’m not sure saying “take that with a grain of salt” to be sufficient. Many sellers have a loooonnngggggg track record of instantly listing lights as having the latest Cree, sometimes before they’re even released. When the XP-L was released, I saw several sellers update the descriptions to claim XP-L when in fact the pictures clearly showed and XM-L2 or XP-G2. This happened with the Nichia NVSL family as well, many sellers listed standard 70 CRI emitters as High CRI, which are nearly impossible to distinguish from one another without firing them up. The phosphors are a slightly different color, but that’s hard to see from pics. I’d imagine the same thing is happening right now in regards to the XP-G3.

Then there’s the whole clone/counterfeit thing that’s become rampant.

Getting accurate descriptions from many sellers is downright impossible. I only order from a handful of trusted places now, and I’ve not been burned doing that.

Good news everyone, the new dome xpls fit under carclo 20mm triples

Just ordered qty 2 of the W2 bin XPL from the AliExpress store. Still suspicious, but he did show me photographic evidence of the CREE labeling, identifying an order of 500 of the XPL W2 1A tint, with a seal date of Apr 25th, 2016.

Am I nuts or what?

Ohhh - just noticed the "Made in China" on the CREE label... Interesting.....

Second label is an original , like these intl-outdoor has in the leds description

Gotta let me know how them leds work for you Tom and whether you think they’re authentic. Been eyeing them last few days. Thanks again.

Linh