In search of the best pocket thrower flashlight (lots of research)

I mean, we can call these pocket throwers. A 16340 tube light, no matter the emitter, will never be a thrower.

But given your first post, it seems you’re basically limited to tube lights. So, get the best reflector you can, an Osram W1, and shove ~4 Amps into it (for brief periods). It’s been done with S2+, etc. All the modern high-output 16340, 18350, or 14500 can still push 4A into a W1, so you can get the size down some. But you may as well compare lights in those categories for length vs. apparent reflector size. If you’re willing to deal with slightly larger heads, then the KR1 is an excellent option (particularly with shorty tube). But the reality is the throw you can get depends directly on the diameter of the optics (be it reflector, aspheric, or whatever).

reading this post again made me realize you are ranking these lights for throw vs physical dimensions.

Reality is, (as Scallywag already mentioned) that the die size with the reflector or optics size define the throw. One of the reasons the BLF GT was the throw king 2 years ago (until Astrolux just did their Chinese trick and made a cheap copy)

So size wise the Tool with a W1 will be your number 1, but throw wise, the KR1 with W1 will outthrow it by far.

I must be missing something, as the D3Cvn (W1) is listed at 35Kcd and the Emisar KR1 (W1) is listed at 110Kcd.

Yes - but he is comparing throw (in meters) to volume (in cubic centimeters). Hence the units: m/cm^3
What he’s therefore saying, is that the volume of D3Cvn must be less than ~1/3 that of the KR1 in order to have better throw per volume.

Ah, got it…thanks.

In that vein, I wonder how a S3 (X5) with a W1 would stack up.

The BLF GT will be on Dave’s last place :sunglasses:

To each their own, but I don’t agree with these units.

Throw distance in meters increases proportionally with optic frontal area. If I were to suggest a “best pocket thrower”, I’d first start with identifying maximum ‘pocketable’ diameter. From there it comes down to bezel thickness, optic efficiency, and which light is modded/comes with an Osram W1 running within an inch of its life…

From my own research, a GT micro with a W1.1 and an ‘H10’ 14500 is likely a really safe bet. 36mm might be to large a diameter for some though to be considered all-day pocketable… (The KR1 also lands in the same territory)

For me, with optic efficiency isn’t the highest I’ve seen, my Convoy M2 running a W1 @ 4.3A makes throws around 90Kcd. Bezel diameter under 32mm makes this light for me the sweet spot and the current champ.