Installing/Using Optics - Noob Question.

Hey,

I'm kinda new here, so I have very little clue of most things flashlight related apart from the electrical side of things, haha.

But yeah, quick question:

I was looking at optics like those sold by intl-outdoor - link

and I was wondering, how does one actually go about using them? =D

I'm also curious as to if they can fit on a P60 drop-in module or something like that.

Thanks for all your helps in advance.

The ones with the white holders fit right on top of the LED. The holders have a little square cutout on the bottom that fits perfectly around the emitter. The holder centers the LED for you and maintains the correct focal length. You need a little epoxy to keep it attached, but that's it.

The ones without the holders need a holder of some kind to center the optic and maintain the optimum focal length.

Most of these optics are 20 to 22mm wide and can't be used with a stock P60 pill and reflector assembly. It won't work even if you bore out the reflector.* You need to either make a custom pill for it like the one made by Vinz or use a stock pill with a custom milled outer ring like Nailbender does for his XRE/optic drop-ins.

*16mm diam or smaller optics will work with a stock P60 pill and reflector if you bore the reflector.

So, in the case of the the P60, if I unscrew the reflector, attach the optic via adhesive, and then counterspring the optic against the head of the torch, it wouldn't work?

(I'll just add a copper toroidal heatsink below.)

I'm having a hard time picturing your description. Where and how would the copper toroid fit?

The basic idea of using the pill without the reflector will work if you can find a way to get adequate surface contact between the pill and the host. But if that involves milling a custom copper adapter to bridge the space between the pill and the host, then I would think that you might as well go all the way and mill a custom copper pill.

Here is my beautiful Microsoft Word drawing.

Great drawing! I'm impressed!

That setup will turn on and it will run, but it will have heat problems if you drive it at any harder than 400-500mA. The beam edges will be cutoff also.

You need a way to transfer heat from the pill to the body. And you also need a way to move the pill closer to the host's lens.

Wow nice drawing, thats pretty awesome for Microsoft Word. I bet that took a while!

It works very well and I like the ability to change optics by simply unscrewing the head and swapping them out.

I posted a build thread here TIR P60

Matt

Oh wow, you actually desoldered the LED PCB, mounted it on top of a copper heatsink then soldered it back on. Think I'm a bit lazy to do all that, haha.

Great work though!

The Word drawing only took me 10 mins. Too much time spent writing up labs for uni.