Interest gauge thread - Euro zone blf17DD driver premade and tested - are there anyone wanting these?

sorry - solar storm T3 -> my review

Ah! I should have figured that out myself... Doh!

Hmm... What battery are you using? Pana NCR18650B like in the review of that light?

Because with a single XM-L2 (instead of three XM-L in parallel) that may be the issue.

These drivers deliver only the highest amps with the hottest batteries.

For reference I have made a set of measurements tonight.

The same batteries were used throughout this test and they were not recharged in between.

First set is through a similar driver as the one you have. This test setup's wires includes

30 cm 2,5mm2 cable with alligator clips

12 cm 18 gauge silicone wire

A ~80mm solid copper shunt resistor of 1,5mm2 wire for measuring amperes

Another 12 cm of 18 gauge silicone wire that are mounted on the driver.

Panasonic NCR18650B. Battery is about 3 years old but otherwise working well as daily flashlight battery. Resting voltage 4,14V 3,5 A.

Unprotected Sanyo 2000 mAh laptop pull. Battery is about 4 years old and working well as daily flashlight battery. Resting voltage 4,14V 4,1 A

Sanyo IMR 1600 power pack pull. Battery is about 5 years old and working well as powersource in hot lights. Resting voltage 4,13V 4,5 A

Last set is true direct drive. THIS setup's wires includes

30 cm 2,5mm2 cable w. alligator clips

12 cm 18 gauge silicone wire

A ~80mm solid copper shunt resistor of 1,5mm2 wire for measuring amperes

Panasonic NCR18650B. Battery is about 3 years old but otherwise working well as daily flashlight battery. Resting voltage 4,12V 3,5 - 3,6 A. Meter shifting constantly.

Unprotected Sanyo 2000 mAh laptop pull. Battery is about 4 years old and working well as daily flashlight battery. Resting voltage 4,14V 4,2 A

Sanyo IMR 1600 power pack pull. Battery is about 5 years old and working well as powersource in hot lights. Resting voltage 4,12V 4,6 A

To me that indicates that if you are using Panasonic NCR18650B batteries the 3,5 A is probably what those batteries can deliver. It is what my similar batteries can deliver at least.

This is due to the high Vf requirement of the XM-L2 VS the 3 parallel XM-L in that solarstorm light where you tested the battery.

Furthermore a XM-L2 has a higher Vf requirement if mounted directly on a copper mcpcb like that Sinkpad you also got.

So:

parallel emitters -> higher amp reading

XM-L VS XM-L2 -> higher amp reading w. XM-L

Hot batteries like the Sony VTC5 or other IMR batteries -> higher amp reading

Unprotected batteries -> higher amp reading (this is due to the voltage drop across the protection circuit. Safety bites ;-) )

I am sorry if all this comes across as if I am trying to school you. Reading through this wall of text I just wrote I can see how that could be the case.

I am not though. Just trying to get to the bottom of this and pursuing a possible reason.

so 3 emitters can suck more amps from one battery than 1 does?

and thanks for your testing!
I am sure that’s a lesson not only for me…

I had time to play a bit…

1 cell 3,5 A
2 cells 3,7 A

but since I don’t have high Amp cells ATM I keep it as it is.

shipping back and forth is more money spent than the driver is worth.

Hi M4X.

Just FYI

I just got some Samsung 20R batteries in that are new and with those I hit about 6 amps on my test rig.

source / price? :slight_smile:

Oooops. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I just saw this.

I got a local deal on a Dewalt battery pack from a foreclosed business locally. Brand new. Comes to about 6 Euro per cell.

i tried with one of my latest pulls

gave me 3,9 A
(3,6 with other unprotecteds i used above, 3,3 with protected pana NCR)