Interest list for 41.8mmx2mm ZWB2 filters, status: produced, received and most filters sent to BLF-members

Trying to figure out the best way to implement this filter, which UV emitter it would most benefit.

I have 4 UV lights, from the Nichia 233B to 333A and the LED Engin LZ1 as well as Jaxman’s U1 which is also a Nichia emitter I believe (276A, took it apart and looked, it came with the black glass lens). My LZ1 is a zoomie, built in a small Solarforce light utilizing an aspherical lens (AHorton) It’s mounted on a copper heat sink in MattAus’s copper P-60 pill. My 233 is in an S2 shorty. The big 333 is in a solid copper X6.

I was thinking of putting this lens in the copper X6 but realistically the biggest Nichia UV emitter doesn’t produce much visible light to block, so it’d be pretty much wasting the filter. So the question is, wait on the 3 Seoul UV’s I ordered yesterday from Kaidomain or rebuild the little S2 light with it’s 233? I know the 233 is probably not wasting much either, the LZ1 is likely to be the lossiest of my UV emitters and would benefit the most but it’s in a pretty neat build with the AHorton aspheric and I probably shouldn’t change that one.

So, what to do?

Thinking about building a light body from scratch to house the triple Seoul emitters and fit this lens. :slight_smile: I should probably state that I don’t particularly like UV emitters in a reflector, prefer mule and no artifacts. Will the triple Seoul’s work well this way?

Hi Dale,

I can only speak about the Seoul, but they profit enormeously from Djozz filter. I linked to a beamshot in post#91, thats the straylight from a Seoul triple @3A in 2m distance on a white wall in a dark room - before the filter arrived.
Now, with the filter I cant make a beamshot… just imagine a dark wall in a dark room where only tiny bits of dust reflect teeny tiny amounts of light. The straylight is about gone, yellow and blue parts, while the intensity of the UV light is still very strong.

This was exactly what I hoped for, by the way, and I‘m more than happy.

Ok, cool Harley… I’ll wait out the Seoul emitters and build something in a mule configuration with the filter (why is it so hard for me to remember that designation? ZWB2… ZWB2…ZWB2…)

I think of zweibacks…

Three leds = 3A in total = 1A per led.
One led = 3A in total = 3A on the one led?

Grtz
Nico

Yes, that’s the result with this build. As the driver is a regulated 5A driver, I thought there would be a bit more current.
But according to djozz test the forward voltage for the Seoul Viosys is ~3.75V @1A.
So it seems the voltage drop on the cell plus the resistance in driver, springs and wires do cost me 0.45V right from the start.

In theory, yes, but not with this LED in this kind of build (single cell, linear driver), as the LED has a forward voltage of 4.15V @3A.

Worthy of mention, the spreadsheet calls for 500mA as maximum current. While it’s true we overclock emitters all the time, we don’t do it to UV emitters. What we normally find is that the gains after a certain point are in undesirable attributes, in this case white light and heat I am going to presume. So while it might not blow at 3A, probably isn’t worth pushing it that hard.

I am speaking about the Seoul CUN66A1B emitter.

Wait, what? More visible light with higher amperage? Where does that come from?

Actually the spec sheet shows a flat output in the 365nm range up through 700mA, so I don’t know if it does make more visible light or doesn’t… I do know that it makes considerably more visible light than a Nichia UV emitter, hence the benefit of the ZWB2 filter.

We also know that the tint on our usual emitters get’s skewed considerably when pushed far beyond the spec sheet limits, so it’s reasonable to presume the same will happen here. You ARE talking about 6 times the spread sheet max limits, so if we looked at similar on say an XP-L emitter we’d push it to what, 18A? Yeah, not happening. Time will tell, I haven’t seen a Seoul UV emitter to date and have some on order.

Seems funny, doesn’t it? ME, of all people, arguing against pushing the spreadsheet maximum’s too far…. :person_facepalming:

Edit: I’ll say this though, I bet these Seoul emitters won’t do 3A on the aluminum star…. a good copper DTP, well if it’s gonna do it it’d be on one of these top MCPCB’s.

I tested the Seoel Viosys led with a ZWB2 filter in the path, so although at higher amps there may be a slight wavelength shift, the measurement still favors light close to 365nm. And the output increase does go up up to 3A

I know that Nichia UV leds that I tested in the past are very sensitive at overspec currents, a few others, among which this Seoul Viosys led, could on a DTP XP-board effortless be overdriven several times the spec’ed current.

Received my lens thanks.

Now I just need to decide on what LED’s and driver to use. I will be using the C8F and need the maximum output possible but don’t want to over drive the LED’s excessively as it may be run for long periods.

Most 365nm leds have a fairly high Vf, so the direct drive current will not be that high and when the XP-footprint versions (so not Nichia) are mounted on a DTP-board like in the C8F they will be fine (a comparison of various 365nm leds here: 4 more 365nm UV-leds tested ) . I suggest the Seoul Viosys led from KD or the LG led from Simon, they have an about perfect Vf for direct drive, I think the LiteOn led will work too in a direct drive triple, but you may want to start without spring bypasses and first check the current.

I had looked it up, too, but when I saw djozz graph of the emitter hitting 3A and still having some gradient, I thought 5A / 3 = 1.66A per emitter on a DTP copper board should be very safe (and now it’s merely 1A per emitter).
Ah, this Sofirn C8F with its triple DTP copper board is really a gift. Takes the heat very well.

My thoughts as well, but don’t worry, you made my day :smiley:

Clearly as djozz has shown there are wide variations in the amount and tint of visible light from these UV emitters. I just don’t know what is causing that. I suppose fluorescence from some material in the mounting. If so then higher UV output should cause higher visible light emission. I just haven’t seen any data on that. Filter should take care of it.

Got mine and PMed you on April 2nd.
Thanks again for making the buy possible.

^ :+1: (missed that)

Received the ZWB2 filter today! Thanks again!

There are places where I place an order and it’s packed and has shipping info within the hour, then there are places that lollygag around for days before they get around to doing anything with my order… KaiDomain always takes days to even acknowledge I placed an order, which is why I very seldom order from them. They emailed me late last night and informed me that they do indeed have my order… who knows when the Seoul UV’s will get around to meandering this way….

There’s every chance that by the time they arrive I won’t remember what they’re for, or where the ZWB2 is, or what I was going to do with any of it. Such is life, lol

Received mine today :smiley:
Thanks djozz

Nice!

That makes just Scientist and antiparanoico waiting for their filters, I hope they arrive soon.
Speed4goal has responded a while ago that he was still interested in the filter, and warsi1975 never responded to my PM, that makes 2 filters unsold.

I think it is safe to make one of them available for sale again for who is interested.