Interested in a multi-AA side-by-side light? **EDIT: Change vote if needed**

nope, it's a highly sophisticated rendering from ezarc... I heard several CAD programs, photoshop and lightroom were involved ;-)

It looks like the head of a Klarus XT20 scaled down and put on a 2XAA body. I think this would be great. It would fit into the pocket like a zippo. I would pay for that.

For me; it's all about the emitter and how it is driven. Havng decided the form factor and power source size, using the wrong emitter and/or playing it safe with the driver is a deal killer for Foy. I could get especially amped (pun intended) about a twin 14500/side-by-side XM-L that could selectively run both or each emitter independently. 3 or 4 mode no blinky would be nice.

I didn't read every post so, I apologize if this is behind the curve.

uptospeedFoy

Yeah it was the head of a Klarus.

I tried a image of the Xeno E03 and duplicate the heads side by side but it was too hard to make it look right with paint.

So ended up using that because its already side by side.

I saw somewhere a mod done with flat aluminum . There were holes cut to fit the body tube for and aft and the lights were identical lights arranged side by side . The head and tailcaps of the lights held the thing together . This is a very poorly rendered drawing of what the two plates looked like . I hope I get the idea across ...

Its the third one, who remebers those...

Also the oval shape goes way way back http://everyday-carry.com/post/412187666/vintage-everready-vest-pocket-flashlights-1912 . Looks like a hip flask

A dual head 2xAA would be sweet. How about one an xml with op and the other an aspheric

I hope we're not getting too complicated with the design. I think the dual-head concept would take advantage of a rectangular battery compartment and still keep the over all size compact enough to pocket carry. I understand the budget manufacturers keep costs down by taking advantage of lathing a simple aluminum tube so hopefully this isn't too far out of reach when taking price into consideration. Could you still essentially design this in three processes: Dual head, battery compartment, switch and then combine them?

Hell yeah! I'd be interested in practically anything that runs 3xAA or 4xAA in the side-by-side format.

some similar to this?

http://www.techass.com/el/el1.php

but of course using newer LEDs.

+1

I would definately buy a light like that.

Sebastian

Below are numbers of side-by-side AA batteries, minimal battery carrier diameters, and flashlight diameters. When going from minimal battery carrier diameters to flashlight diameters, I added 1/4 inch for minimum flashlight wall thickness + thread depth + room for battery variation and swelling.

Batteries side-by-side

3 4 6
Battery diameters, formula 1 2 1+2/Sqrt(3) 1+Sqrt(2) 3
Battery diameters 1 2 2.15 2.41 3
Carrier diameter, inches .57 1.14 1.23 1.38 1.71
Flashlight diameter, inches .82 1.39 1.48 1.63 1.96
Carrier diameter, cm 1.45 2.90 3.12 3.5 4.34
Flashlight diameter, cm 2.08 3.53 3.75 4.13 4.98
Growth in flashlight diameter
70% 6% 10% 21%

If my calculations are correct, then going from 4 batteries to 6 would increase flashlight diameter by 21%. I think I could hold a 2-inch (5-cm) diameter flashlight having a couple of switches near the head. If 6 batteries were used, an emitter and small reflector could be placed off-center with respect to the main axis of the flashlight. A rotatable disk on the front of the flashlight could contain a progression from mild to strong diffusion, and a hole for no diffusion. Alternatively, there would be room for two or three emitters and reflectors, maybe with one with a lens for throw. The head could have the same diameter as the body of the flashlight. A 4-AA version would have less room for a variable diffuser, but would look more mainstream. For me, it is important to have some means of rapidly switching between flood and throw, preferably without the chance of dropping a part or damaging a part that sticks out a lot.