Interesting new Small Sun Side Clicky lights at DX today

Any idea what type of connector it needs? 2, 2.5, 3mm? Audio “stacked” style or Nokia pin/ring?

Don’t even try it!

Even with protected cells? Li cells are new to me.

Got mine today (ZY-T29)

Fit with 65-70mm 18650

Tail cap draw
4.2 V
1600mA 600mA 300mA
3.8 V
1200mA 500mA 230mA

PWM worst than UF-T50

Able to lock out the tail cap? Bummer about the PWM. How easy does it look to change the driver?

Also quite interested in that. How much room is in there?

Can it easily take a driver swap? I'm right on the edge of my seat about ordering it! I don't mind a driver swap. How's the overal build quality?

-Garry?

and will probably have to try one.
forgive this ignorant question, but do all side switches (skyray king, etc.)have parasitic drain? if so, how much difference does it make, especially on a multi-cell light like the king? thanks.

some side switches are not electronic and do not have parasitic drain

it has a switch with fixing, or electronic, as at UF-T50?

From DrJones.

Pro:
compact, good beam, mine can be locked out, heat sinking is fine (LED mounted directly on the head).

Contra:
Terrible UI: A tap on the switch goes to high mode, further taps switch to next mode,
Off -> High -> Medium -> Low -> Strobe -> SOS -> Off -> High -> …
So if you want to switch it off from high, you need to go through all the other modes. No memory etc.
Driver: Direct drive with 0.25 Ohms in series to reduce current.
Modding: switch is directly mounted onto the driver board, making a driver swap difficult. LED MCPCB is 24.5mm.

It is built more like a twisty. The tail threads are coated so they allow lockout. You turn the threads in and push the head button to start on high. Arrange the mode you want or twist the tail to turn it off. It is a twisty with mode buttons. Just keep this in mind and you’re good :slight_smile:

For lockout mode.
I ordered three from DX, only one has lockout (anodized tail threads).

If so, that’s bad.

This is an old thread, but I just received a ZY-T29 from FT, and the tail threads are anodized, and lockout does work. I got this for a possible host, but just took it outside, and it works (throws) pretty well for such a tiny light, so I may just keep it as-is. The one thing I don’t like about it is the lanyard attachment is in the middle of the body, on the opposite side from the side button.

How good does it look for modding? Nice pill, much space in the driver area?

I haven’t taken it apart yet, because I’m still trying to decide if I want to keep it unmodded. If I do take it apart, I’ll post back.

Jim

The ZY-T29 has a ton of room in the driver area. You could easily stick a regular NANJG or any other 17mm driver in there along with the circuit it comes with. Without significant work, you'll want to keep the circuit board that's already in there because the switch is on that board - but it's not difficult at all to wire up a secondary driver. It's by far the nicest budget side-switch host.

PPtk

See here...

Here’s some more pics (and measurements).

The emitter end of the head:

The pill end of the head: