Intl Outdoors p60 drop in ($23)

Does anyone else have much experience with this drop in?

After waiting a long 44 days (ordered 11/18) I just received it in the mail today (12/31, had to email them in December wondering why my items didnt ship, they forgot about my order…) and already have issues with it.

I dropped it into my L2P and turned it on. Beam is a little ringy. Main problem though is it likes to mode skip. It will sometimes come on for a second before it changes to the next mode on its own.

EDIT: just had it skip 2 modes after spending a second on the first two. Then it blinks twice every second. Maybe some type of low voltage. Will check my batt voltages right now.

It would help if you had a pic as to which one you got.I think before you blame the drop-in for mode changes,try the paperclip trick to dismiss the tailcap as the issue.It has happened to me before.

This is the one I got:
http://www.intl-outdoor.com/xml-u2-p60-dropin-module-p-336.html

Originally ordered 1.5amp version but they told me they were OOS so I went with the 2.5amp.

I’ll also try the paperclip method although I don’t think it is the tail cap. I’ve tried all the ones I have (4 different ones), and 2 different hosts. Both of which work perfectly fine with other driver/led units. Also going to dig out my DMM which I put away and do some testing.

I have the same drop in and it works with no problems. The flashing, at least on mine, is the low voltage warning.

I do have a UF 2100 that does that mode skipping, but it is caused by tail cap switch bounce.

Gotcha,probably not the switch but it’s a good place to start since some are not designed to handle high amp draw drop-ins.If the drop-in is bad IO is pretty good with fixing problems,odd that it took that long to ship.I get your frustration though,good luck.

Yea, I hear they are good but as you can see have not had the best luck with them. I think the long shipping time was a combination of them forgetting about my order and the holidays.

I’ll make a video to see if anyone can figure it out.

Others have reported the same problem before.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/9568

Thanks for that thread. Seems the 1st versions were the best (As reviewed by foy) and newer versions seems to have problems.

Overall, I am not impressed with this drop in and would not recommend it. Besides the fact that mine is not working, the beam is ringy and the spring does not allow proper fitment in my solarforce hosts (will work with slight tweak of the spring though). I am just frustrated at how long I had to wait and that it doesn’t work. I think they should test these before shipment. I had initially planned to build my own but because I don’t fully trust myself to solder well I wanted to get a fully built unit.

Still have a c88 on the way from them, hoping that does not have any problems…

http://s745.beta.photobucket.com/user/woojui/media/CA2890A0-05D8-4CA4-9DA9-1112B576ED16-7170-00000450D0E84A09.mp4.html

So 2 main problems I have with this drop in:

1) ringy beam
2) low voltage warning/mode swithching although the cell is charged. (tested with multiple cells/tailcaps/host)

I am just too frustrated to deal with the drop-in right now. I’ll update this later when see if I can do anything with this drop in or when I contact intl.

Darn, rider, that’s odd :~ Definitely not the best Santa’s gift. And I’m agree, they definitely need to check/test their dropins at least. I’m not talking about all lights, but at least dropins and custom lights with Nanjg driver. Hope you can solve it with them, because it’s driver problem I think and dunno you can solved by yourself :frowning:
About ringiness - have you tried to unscrew the reflector a little bit?

I just tried that and the beam is nicer.

Was messing around with the drop in and noticed something. If I start in low mode (turn it off in low and let it memorize the mode), then switch to the higher modes, the light will stay in the mode and work normally. However, if it comes on in medium or high, it does what the video shows.

I think I’ll PM Hank on here to see what can be done.

Loosen the head of my L2N just a few mm stop the mode problems.

You said it. Mine was 1st version. It's one of the best drop-ins I own. Second I ordered 8 months later was ringy and had too low of a low mode. They started designing the reflector wrong. I never had the other problems.

I’ve tried loosening and it doesn’t seem to help. After messing with it some more, I have some more conclusive details about how it acts.

Basically when I turn on the light with one click, it will go to the LVC blinking mode after 1-3 seconds. However, if I turn on the light and switch modes a couple times then stop at a mode. The light will actually stay on the mode normally. However, the next time I turn on the light, it will do the LVC blinking issues again unless I switch to the next mode first.

I think I had similar problems at first. I had to remove the large outer spring (not the battery contact spring) and that seemed to resolve the issue. I’m using strips of soda can to keep the dropins firmly in place and to improve heatsinking.

Hey, rusty, can you post both dropins to compare them side by side? :slight_smile:

Contacted Hank.

Shipping this one back for a replacement.