Is it too early to expect for the next generation of CREE LED?

I am very curious of what we are expecting from Cree. Please share what you heard of, such as name, feature and possibly release date. Thanks.
Cheng

The “Next-Generation” of CREE Leds have already been released.

XB-D
XT-E
MT-G2

PPtk

Lumens per watt is where it’s at. It’s all about efficiency. Here’s a roadmap:

When to expect new leds in flashlight. On the market?

Cool… I wonder why its a straight line like that?
This is what drive me nuts about the MCE, if it were on the chart it would have resulted in a flat horizontal line somewhere in the XRE range.

I’m looking forward to another drop in Vf.

So is Cree about done with going for ultra high lumen output? Going for efficiency instead and not worrying about thousands of lumens per single emitter?

I other words is this it for modders? The XM-L for Cree and the SST-90 for Luminus?

Probably. :frowning:

It is still Lumens per Watt. Lets face it, the constraining factor for handheld Flashlights is battery size and Heat. More lumens per watt will lessen this constraint. The fact that the primary emphasis of LED manufacturers is lumens per watt is the best thing that can happen for us. Now if you are thinking that lumens per given die size is important, then you are still talking lumens per watt. there is an absolute limit though, I think I read that it is about 600 lumens/watt. That is limit of physics.

???

if they introduce an emitter that is 300 lumen per watt, but it won’t handle more than 1 watt, we’ll still be using the xm-l

I dont know how one could jump to that conclusion. I would expect Cree single die emitters to gain efficiency as well as overall lumen output. Thats what they have done in the past, and I would’t expect it to be any different.

Whether or not they will be able to out-leap the Luminous products remains to be seen… I bet they could match or beat the SST-50 or 90 if they made a version of the XML that was as big.

There’s supposed to be a hi cri XML coming out.
Nichia b10 4500k hi cri is awesome, there’s a B15 out there that can dish out even more brightness, still doesn’t compare to the XML for output.

I wonder what’s going to hit the market next?

Good thread on the beam/tint of the new emitters.

be plenty more exciting developments. as other members have said though, flashlight applications aren’t necessarily the primary market of cree, so, given that the xm-l is relatively new, and a pretty significant step forward in a lot of ways, it could be a while.