Is the Convoy C8 the BEST Thrower for the Money??

Well… if you want throw for your buck and the same style as C8… try Warsun CT9T… it has deeper reflector that all the C8s Variants
unfortunately not many store carry them, but you can still find some on Aliexpress or Ebay.
not too mention it’s easy to mod with simple resistor mods to boost the output significantly.
You can also try Supfire L6 too… here’s the review

You can choose a SMO (smooth) reflector and different tint XM-L2.
(now where’s that colour chart when you need it?)

Yes, I think this is the best C8 deal around.

In many cases deeper reflectors does not increase throw. They mostly limit spill and put that light around the hotspot. So you get a physically longer/larger light and usually less light in front of your feet.

As an example, the reflector at the right (deeper than those in Warsun lights) does not throw better than the C8 reflector in the middle. (and yes, it have a normal reflector shape in the middle)

Unfortunately I have to agree…
I’ve got a deeep reflector Trustfire.
Twice as deep as normal C8 reflector.
This makes the parabola it is based on really small, so in comparison the LED is big and not focussed / bundled tightly in the beginning of the reflector…
An XP-C would probably be better in this (for throw)

well… I might beg to differ, to my eyes and my lux meter… when I compared both with Convoy L4 ( which have the same reflector as C8) and Warsun CT9T
Both were resistor mod to about 3.5A and Warsun has the same reflector diameter as L4 but slightly longer.
and it does show it throw further.
</a

Yes, it has less spill than C8 but definitely can out throw it, and since the OP want a C8 thrower… this is a good alternative to common C8s :slight_smile:

That’s not that much deeper than a regular C8 reflector.
This one doesn’t start so narrow as the really deep one.
Nice one though. :slight_smile:
There are C8’s out there with that reflector too.

Why hasn’t the Jacob A60 been mentioned yet? I still have to mod mine, but for less than 10 bucks when I bought the light, it out-throws my C8.

It’s not as bright, but if a thrower is what you’re looking for the A60 is great.

Theres some good information here.

I’ve a few C8’s and one XML L2 C12 and I would say that the C12 is a much better thrower.

I have a couple Tangsfires from Tmart, and fake branded XinTD from Wallbuys. All three are excellent with the slightly deeper reflector and XM-L2. Hotspots are tight and perfectly defined. All came with East92 drivers.
The real xinTDs from IOS or Mtnelectronics are known winners.
I personally don’t care for the Convoy with its orange Peel reflector. It’s all all a matter of preference. I have a really weird reflector that I’m planning on installing in the Convoy with an XP-E2.
The Jacob A60 is always mentioned as a great budget pencil beam thrower, but it’s fans always extol its virtues and fail to mention that it comes with a plastic reflector and an ugly ringy beam.

I agree, esp. with respect to the “for the money” part of the OP subject.

Needs a mod though…
I mean, it throws that XR-E light a long way, but the spill is very ugly…

A couple of more of the “classic” ones (cheap throwers) from a spreadsheet I used to keep, then:

- Defiant Super Thrower (DST) - From Home Depot, but may be hard to find

- STL-V6

• ZY-T08

You asked for the best thrower for the money. I’m not an expert but Convoy C8 from Banggood is definitely best bang for the buck. Just below $15 shipped and you can mod it with better parts (AR lens, qlite, noctigon etc.) in the future. Just buy it already and move on! :slight_smile:

The best C8 reflector I have, with the tightest hot spot (ie; best throw) and cleanest ring free spill:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1203500

Note the taper at the base and small contact area near the LED; makes it easier to fit & focus without shorting the contact pads.

Put that one in your basket and compare it to the std/ OP reflector.

ZY-T08 hands down. Best bang for your buck thower and if you ever want to mod it it’s the perfect host for just about anything.

Also if you have a soldering gun you can just about double the throw of any light by simply de-doming the LED all you do is soak it in gasoline for a few hours and the dome will fall off. VERY carefully replace it and BOOM double your throw and usually a nicer tint too. Just don’t bump the tiny wires on the emitter because they are fragile. Also make sure you don’t short the emitter by having the solder points accidentally hit the reflector. A little black tape over the solder points goes a long way. Although most of them have something to make sure that this doesn’t happen.

Two batteries in parallel so you get super run times. The driver is fairly low amp but even so it will out throw a C8 by a long way and with the lower amps you get even longer run times. They can be found for around $20 and they are a huge step up from a C8.

You simply can’t go wrong with a ZY-T08.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

+2

i tell you, this question must have been asked a blue million times, and these guys never get sick of answering that! I am a member of many different forums, and this guy would have been flamed out with “search” “did you search?” “try google” “we’ve answered that a million times” … it’s terrible.

Great forum is all.

T08 had some issues with low draw before. The quality is hit-or-miss, this even surfaced recently with the Wallbuys group buy (OL’s).

OP has mentioned to me before he cannot mod at all. When combined with no-mod requirement, I would not recommend any T08/T13 against a Convoy C8.

Almost exactly what I would say except I’d change out the ZY-T08 with the ZY-T13 :slight_smile: Because I own the T-13…lol

That Defiant DST look’s very nice I wish I could find a few. I did find find the Defiant 650 lumen XM-L2 model for a ridiculously good price and bought a few…had no idea home depot was selling such light’s of this quality and price until recently….let’s just say I keep my eyes open at this store more often…lol…they do have this light right now loaded with an XM-L2—> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-ArmorMax-3D-Tactical-Flashlight-809-3731-D/203657321 but they changed the button to the tailcap which is a pain on such a big light plus it’s mode selection I hear is whacky but I did see an easy Mod somewhere where it can be changed to a single mode.

Price has gone up a little for the STL-V6 here but still well worth it: http://www.lightscastle.com/product/fandyfire-stl-v6-cree-xm-lt6-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-2x18650-3x16340-3x123a-130015

Great deal for a T-13: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SMALL-SUN-ZY-T13-1200LM-10W-5Modes-Flashlight-Waterproof-Black-/180991695071?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2a23f218df but not as strong of a light as the STL-V6.

I own some nice “newer flashlight’s” with XM-L2’s and still find myself using the STL-v6 quite often very nice thrower with just the right amount of spill……can even put the head of the STL-V6 on some model of the C8’s making it lighter and a nice single 18650 light.

I also load up some of my rifles with the STL-V6 for night hunting and home defense.

Great to see some familiar faces on this post hope you all are doing well. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your search OP. :wink: