Is the D10 a suitable candidate to update to floody, warmer output?

Does the Nitecore D10 lend itself well to updating it to be floody and warm (3000-4000k tint)?

The reflector is somewhat deep - does that work against becoming more floody? Can the reflector be updated to be more floody? Or, perhaps an optic?

Is the D10 driver suitable for driving a new emitter, with floody characteristics?

What might be the best emitters for such an upgrade? And what about an optic?

Wow, blast from the past. I’m sure you know the tribute thread on CPF, it doesn’t answer your immediate questions, but is a good example of how this light captured the hearts of flashaholics everywhere.

Rich… indeed. The D10 is a legendary light, for sure!

I will have to revisit the Tribute thread on CPF to see if I can get some info there.

> Does the Nitecore D10 lend itself well to updating it to be … warm (3000-4000k tint)?

yes,

they lend themselves to similar mods as the EX11.2

Thanks, Jon. I will check that link out.

The D11.2 driver is easier to change LED than the D10
because 11.2 lights have XPG LEDs that are a direct swap for 219b

Can’t say anything about the tint (except for swapping emitters), but if you want nice and floody, toss on some diffusion film.

I got a Xeno E03, WW, that had a nice beam anyway, but being that I’d be using it almost exclusively in close quarters, I slapped on some diffusion film and it’s now got a very nice floody beam.

Unlike aspherics which have a nice even blanket of light across the entire light-circle, diffusion film still lets some of the hotspot through, so it’s slightly brighter in the middle and gradually fades towards the periphery.

Take it down the basement or whatever, and it’ll light up a nice big area, but without the sometimes disconcerting sharp-cutoff of aspherics.

Especially at night, the ’03 has that nice warm glow that doesn’t jar you awake, and an incredibly useful smooth beam that still draws your attention to the center.

Anyhoo, a small patch the size of a postage-stamp is all you need, and it should flood up the beam quite nicely.