Is there a way to check this before killing a light?

Hi,

Having, in a short time, killed two lights, I keep wondering if, other than really knowing the actual technical specifications, there’s a definitive/safe way to check if, given:

- A voltage

• A drop-in

that a certain voltage is not going to kill either the driver or the emitter in the drop-in?

I also have the same question relative to a driver and emitter, i.e., is there a definitive/safe way to check if a given emitter+driver pair will work with a given voltage, without having the actual technical specifications for both the driver and emitter?

you could make some guesses based on components, but ideally you just want to go off the manufacturers specifications or blf reviews. As for driver and emitter combinations, generally, if you apply the correct voltage to the driver, it should be ok.

if your messing about with odd emitters then its best to find out all the info you can before hooking up power.

I think you need the specs. If you do an actual test, it kind of turns into trial and error.

I got some smaller emitters in today, but the XM-L ones won’t be here for awhile I think, so I’m going to try that jig that I used earlier with a “normal” LED in series with the emitter. Need to see some light :)…

Unless you know the driver is rated for higher voltage than 4,3V. Do not use two li-ion batteries on it.

Here you can see what kind of amps (and voltage) all the common emitters can be run at.

Copper mounted emitters results are found here.