Is there an affordable battery capacity tester ?

A rubber band works too, too bad I don’t have any of those thick ones.

It is bad to discharge Li-Ion cell below 3 volts open-circuit voltage, not under-load voltage. Cell discharged to 2.7V at 1A will pop up back to 3.2-3.5V as soon as you disconnect load from it.

Ok thats makes sense. Thx!

1100mah so far and its at 3.26v. Changed it to stop at 2.7v (either that or 2.8… Can’t set 2.75. Protection circuit should kick in at 2.75 anyway.

I’m impressed considering it is a trustfire that is around 4 years old and advertised as 2500mah

The reuslt is in. 2114mAh !!! (@1A discharge down to 2.70v)
Not bad at all for a 4 year old trustfire rated at 2500
Interestingly the protection never kicked on at 2.75 and it went down to 2.7 as I set my Accucel 6 to.

I’ll test the green panasonic 3400 protected from wallbuys as well as the keeppower 3400s when I get them (any day now)

Panasonic 3400 full capacity is tested down to 2.5v under load.

I would like to buy a zketech EBD or EBC but the taobao page is all chinese, aliexpress price is sky high (higher than a hobby charger).
And anyway marking on zketech product are all chinese so it’s not very user friendly.
But a discharger that can be connected on USB is exactly what I am searching for, no a hobby charger that have precise balance charging as I do not balance batttery pack.

Finally got 2 Keeppower 18650’s in the mail. Charged em up using a nitecore i4

Discharging right now using an Accucel 6 to 2.8V @ 1A discharge rate.

Let’s see how these perform. Hopefully I get close to the claimed capacity so I won’t have to open the shrink wrap to check for china trash.

How did you set it to discharge to 2.8 volts? I can’t seem to set my Accucel to less than 3 volts.

Navigate to NiMH Dischange mode & set the final voltage to 2.8V

Ahh… of course - Thanks! Sorry for the OT but do you guys use the Lion 3.6 volt mode or the other 3.7 volt mode when charging?

3.6V for Li-Ion
3.7V for LiPo

I use my nitecore i4 though for 18650s and nimh. Slower but easier.

Thanks - I have also been using the 3.6 volt Li-ion mode, but have noticed that the final voltage is only about 4.10 volts, so I was thinking that the LiPo mode would get it closer to 4.20. Advisable? Maybe even dangerous?

The result for the first Keeppower 3400mah is in. I only for 3090 mAh out of it using my accucel 6. Discharged it down to 2.8V @ 1A using the Nimh discharge function.

What a disappointment… That is a good 310 mAh less than advertised. Should I open to check if it is a true panasonic cell ?

Testing the 2nd keeppower cell now.

Perhaps it gets higher after a couple of charges/discharges - or maybe that’s myth I don’t know.

Your missing more like 70-120mAh (for 1A down to 2.8v). Test / Review: Keeppower 18650 3400mAh Black. Full capacity is only at lower current & down to 2.5v. Panasonic actually gives a typical capacity of 3350mAh, minimum 3250mAh. NCR-18650B specs

I would check the cell anyway tho. As long as you have shrink wrap.

Battery life will last longer if you charge them to 4.10 , .1 v ain’t gonna make a huge difference in run times

I am looking for a quality battery tester. I have a Xtar VC4 charger but it wont show me discharge rates. would the
AccuPower-IQ338XL-Battery-Charger-Tester- be a good option? I like the new Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus but a 100 dollars is a bit much right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smiley:

Does anyone have thought on this Xtar unit? Would it be good for testing discharge rates and capacity? Thanks :slight_smile:

Opus BT C3100 is the answer (if you have a separate room because there is a noisy fan).

Wow, sweet charge and a great price. Thanks :smiley: