Is there any good AA bike headlights?

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t think he wants a flashlight mounted to the handle bars, I had 2 Starry Lights and he didn’t wan’t one. He also has a Archer 1A that I bought him but he’s just looking for a bike light that’s made for bikes.

Unfortunately lithium batteries are out of the question as, he won’t care for the properly.

I know that feeling, i also have a friend who liked my Convoy M1 so much he wanted to get one for himself, but he would undoubtedly blow himself up so i talked him into a Starry Light, i just ordered it a few days ago.

How about a singe lithium battery bike light from any chinese store and you could fashion a 4AA in series battery holder (or even 8AA in 4S2p for double the life)?

what a dangereus stuff a single quality battery on a flashlight for some. waw :expressionless:

I know they are not AA powered, but Serfas makes some good headlights that are nearly idiotproof in the charging department. I have one of their older “True 250” headlights, and am quite pleased with its output, battery life, ease of charging, and handlebar mount. Most Serfas headlights use TIR optics and have protection circuits that warn the cyclist before the battery gets too low.

Please tell me about this blowing one self up with lithium batteries. I personally have never heard of that. Ive heard of a fire or a minor burst, but nothing like that. Please point me to more details, perhaps I should dispose of them, I have people I love around me including myself. Not that I want to blow up someone I dont know or like either.

I had a thread about it, its a person who is absent minded and would not realize he is doing anything or everything wrong, i could see him overheating a light till it was burning hot and leaving it that way till the battery is drained (or even having it turn on in a blanket or other insulator making it even hotter), he could short circuit a few batteries in a toolbox or some other method, he may leave a light on till its drained well below the safe 2.5V then recharge it and continue using it oblivious to the low state of charge crystal possibility, he might put it on the charger and forget it on there for a few months (and if it continues trickle charging as some chargers do then thats not so good) and so on.

Lets just say if it can be blown up i can see him being the one to do it (accidentally of course, i know for a fact he can inadvertently invent many more abuses then i can conceive of and none of it would be intentional, he is just that absent minded)
Besides there are videos and threads about serious damage being done from exploding batteries.

Fenix BT10!

I'm not sure why there is a debate going on here. ezarc simply asked if there where any good AA bike lights out there.

You may remember this light.

http://www.dx.com/p/aurora-sh-3aa-cree-xm-l-t6-800lm-5-mode-memory-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-black-3xaa-1x26650-123719#.U831tq-KCgc

I still have it though not sure if there is a bracket around for it. Good luck on your mission.

Hes not going to buy a quality charger or quality batteries and he will probably leave them for months/years at a time and then they wont be any good.

Last time he bought fake UltraFires (even though real ones are probably just as bad) without any PCB and used a cheap Chinese wall charger worth about $2 with no protection built into either of them so I bought him some good protected 18650s and I think now one has been inside a torch for about 2 years without any use and the other one is sitting outside in the weather.

I’ve tried to educate him on caring for lithium batteries but it goes in 1 ear and out the other, I’m not going to look after them for him or buy him quality batteries and charger ect, the best possible thing I can do is to make sure he uses AA’s.

I considered this as my first XM-L LED light when i first discovered BLF!
I didn’t end up getting it, i went for the cyclone c88 instead, there were no reviews and i figured this probably wouldn’t output the 800 lumens indicated.

I sent that link to him, thanks.

Yep I remember it, I think hes looking for a bike light and not a torch/flashlight mounted on a bike.

But I’ll also tell him to consider that, because there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of options from searching for a few hours here and there.

If you can do some modding buy a cheap bike light, replace the driver with a 105C and use something like this to power it
Does anyone have a bike light and can confirm they can get to the driver?

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002604/1290205-4aa-serial-batteries-holder-case-box-with-leads

This may work with a 8.4V light without modification
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002604/1290100-8aa-serial-battery-holder-case-with-dc-connector

Is there any 8.4V bike lights?

Unfortunately I can’t do any modifications, pretty much something straight off the shelf or a AA battery pack and light that would work without mods that he can put on himself.

I’ll just showing him a few links posted here to consider buying.

Fasttech has many to choose from, here is the cheapest (who knows how good it is though)
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/10005708/1618700-singfire-xl-82-1-cree-xm-l2-t6-3-mode-900lm-cool

The connectors don’t look compatible but that may be spliceable

Ah OK, thanks.

I didn’t realize that was the common voltage for them, I’ll send some links to him later with them.

Nice find Bort. I haven't seen that style of battery pack before.

neither have i actually, a while back i was looking for a 2AA holder and noticed fasttech has a whole category of AA holders so when i have something in mind now i just search for it there, i was thinking of building a small emergency light with AA batteries but buying the starry light took care of that problem, i should be able to get over 2 weeks on low and 4 days on the 2nd level (4 hours third level and 1 hour on max)

Do you know what kind of connector the bike light has?

It looks like the battery pack would have to have the connector cut off and another one put on there to suit it.

Or perhaps cut both off and use something else?

Don’t a lot of mountain bike riders use head torches rather than bike-mounted lights? If that would be an option, there would be plenty of AA lights that might do from Fenix, LED Lenser and Petzl. I use an old Petzl Zoom fitted with the 3xAA adaptor and an LED bulb from The Torch Site (UK), which is plenty bright enough for road riding at least and has a good throw. It will probably last forever unlike more complicated modern lights.

Cheers!

Paul