Is there anything the size of the DQG with USB?

Received my Nitenumen today. It’s the one from Amazon. Here are my initial impressions:

Pros

• Small
  • Nice stainless steel bezel
  • Bezel is not glued so swapping emitter shouldn’t be hard.
  • Large, very thick USB boot that fits firmly in raised enclosure. Unlikely to pop out accidentally and deep enough to probably provide adequate water resistance.
  • O-rings and tailcap threads came well lubed
  • Comes with Spare O-ring, USB boot, manual and USB cable.
  • Comes in a nice looking box.
  • Tailcap lockout
  • Small switch is not hard to find as it is on opposite side of large raised USB jack.
  • Switch is small and stiff enough that lockout is probably not necessary for EDC use.
  • Fit and finish - anodizing looks good. Engraving looks crisp and smooth
  • Cheap Price
  • If battery really is a 3400 mAh LG, then that is a cut above what other cheap lights ship with. I do not have the ability to test the capacity of the battery so cannot verify.
  • Emitter appears to be a cool-white XML2. Not sure if it is authentic or not.
  • Deep-carry clip.

Cons

• Crappy UI
  • Mode selection - low isn’t that low. And no moonlight.
  • No electronic lockout.
  • Lens is not AR coated (expected on a light this cheap)
  • Body tube is either glued to the head, or the light uses a one-piece body. Not sure which from my cursory inspection. This may make the driver and switch harder to mod.
  • Does not work with flat-top batteries. Post at center of driver doesn’t stick out enough. I tried flat top Samsung 30Q and Sony VTC5 and neither worked.

UI

• Click once to get high.
  • Click again from on to cycle through the following in order: medium —> low —> strobe —> SOS —> OFF.
  • Shortcut to off: When light is on, hold button down till LED starts flashing (about 3 seconds), then click once.
  • No mode memory. Light always starts in high.

Overall impression: Decent, but not great light. Very good for the price.

That is a crappy UI. Glad I didn’t buy it. :slight_smile:

well….maybe its good,that its not possible to send to europe…UI is really one of the worst…how come:((

Thanks for your impressions firelight2, does the USB port double as a cellphone powerbank like the Folomov?

+1 to that question.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Too bad about the UI, especially the “shortcut” to off.

If you don’t mind, would you please also post this in the dedicated thread?: Nitenumen compact EDC 18650 light w/USB charging - Amazon deal

I have all 3 of these lights. None of them are perfect.

Folomov EDC-C4

• Pros: Good mode spacing and can act as a powerbank, something the other lights can’t. It also has excellent fit and finish and feels quite lightweight. Hand feel is quite-good.
  • Cons: To use the powerbank feature you might have to lug around its special cord, plus the cord of whatever you are charging, which isn’t very convenient. The UI isn’t great. it requires you to hold the button down for a couple seconds to turn the light on or off. Also, because the large soft-touch button is easy to accidentally depress, using lockout is a must. The light features a triple-click electronic lockout, but clicking 3x then holding for 2 seconds just to turn the light on certainly isn’t convenient. Most expensive of the bunch.

The Nitenumen C8

• Pros: Best “hand-feel” of the bunch (feels great in the hand. Good knurling). Excellent fit and finish. Threads and o-rings well-lubed. Best USB port cover of the bunch (biggest, thickest, holds securely, with thickest stem… and the box comes with a spare); deep carry clip; Stainless steel bezel; Small switch button is easy to find as it is on the opposite side of the light from the protruding USB cover compartment; Switch button is small and stiff enough that lockout should not be necessary for EDC pocket use (chance of accidental activation is very low).
  • Cons: UI (a single click takes you to max which is great, but turning it off is a pain. You either have to click 5x to turn off. Or you can click and hold for 3 seconds, which apparently is the shortcut to SOS mode. Once in SOS mode you can click once to turn off.); mode spacing (light has high, medium and low, but the “low” is not that low.); Doesn’t work with flat-top batteries.

Ultratac S20:

• Pros: metal button; Sleek look.
  • Cons: My sample is unreliable (half the time it doesn’t work at all the other half the time it only works dimly. Clearly there is a bad connection somewhere in the light…. probably a bad ground connection); Protruding metal button looks nice but is extremely easy to accidentally activate. Using lockout of some kind during pocket EDC is mandatory; Knurling is a bit too smooth for me (not enough grip).

My assessment: I don’t think I’d carry any of these lights as my main EDC as-is. The cool-white tint isn’t great and none of them have a good UI. I like the hand-feel of the Nitenumen the best, but the UI and mode spacing are awful. The EDC-C4 is probably the most useful, because it can act as a powerbank, but doing so requires carrying and 2 USB cables so isn’t as convenient as the light’s small size might suggest.

Firelight!
How is it possible,that you didnt changed the driver in the nice Nitenumen light??? Is it not possible?Looks so good,but the UI is terrible really…Plus the cool white,most commercial led colour…People nowadays dont like it much…

Thinking I probably will try changing the driver, but I’ve never done a driver with a USB charger built in.

I’m debating a number of options for upgrading this light:

• Option 1: Replace the driver with one without a built-in USB board. The light would lose charging, but I could give it the much better Emisar D4 interface and much higher max output. This is the easiest option and one most likely to be successful. It would mean the lare protruding USB cover and its housing would be redundant though. I suppose I could remove the cover and file down the housing, then cover up the un-anodized filed area with a piece of anodized black aluminum sheet.
  • Option 2: Buy a separate USB board and figure out how to install it. That might give me the Emisar D4 interface, with the added benefit of charging. I’d have to order the USB board though, which could take months to arrive.
  • Option 3: Try to pull off the USB board out of the existing driver and figure out how to attach that. No need to order parts, but also a relatively low chance of success if I don’t know what I’m doing.
  • Option 4: Turn the Large USB cover into a button and install a 2-button driver. Maybe use the big USB cover button for power and the small button for mode switching.

Once I figure out what to do with the driver I expect I’ll also upgrade the emitter. At the very least put in a neutral tint emitter, but possibly also upgrade it to a triple. Or put in a single SST-40.

@ Firelight2, you said your Nitenumen doesn’t work with button top batteries.
Did yours not come with a button top 3400mah battery? Mine did and it works fine.

Oops typo on my part. I corrected my previous post. Should say “the Nitenumen does not work with flat top batteries.”

Thanks for this summary… Figuring the UI would be a let down and knowing it’s CW, I mainly bought the Nitenumen for a possible mod host, to at least upgrade the LED and driver, because it was cheap and I like the SS bezel. I figured the protruding USB part would assist in feeling for the switch, and I’m glad to hear about the other pro’s.

Received mine today, posting my initial feedback in the dedicated thread.

Firelight2, I know you’ve done some great mods on small lights so I’m also looking forward to seeing your thoughts about possible upgrades…

+1 :+1:

The bezel end of the Nitenumen is slightly larger than the DQG 4th so since I have already modded the DQG with a triple, I’m thinking The Nitenumen might benefit from the same triple mod. I used the BLF A6 board with a attiny85 transplant running NarsilM with a switch soldered on the A6 board.

Deal going on at amazon for the Folomov EDC C4 and you get a free usb magnetic battery charger with it plus another $1 off.

hm…Solomov is also pretty expensive.i try to order form amazon and again-they dont ship to Slovakia…maybe again because the lion…or what?

anyone knows,where is still possible to buy the Nitenumen ?thaaanks:)

My Lumintop rechargeable battery came today.
It works with DQG Tiny just fine.
Amazing light….

On my kitchen scale this combo weights 84 grams.
Emisar D4 shorty with Aspire 18350 is just 10 grams lighter, but has 1/3 battery capacity and lacks recharge ability. Though it’s a little brighter. :wink:

any another ideas?:slight_smile:

i’ve got that folomov, it;s pretty good, the pattern is not too throwy at all
it reminds me of the dqg tiny 18650 IV pattern a lot

99mm, vs 87mm for the tiny

it does have usb charging , and can be a power bank too [though you have to use a proprietary cable for that]

I don’t like the UI much, but you might.
The light levels could be better for me, but you may not mind.
The light color is coolish white, which I don;t mind.
It does come with a battery, though it isn’t a high capacity one.
The switch looks ok, i was the guy that had 2 of the tinys fail.
wle

wle

i would take it…but its still too expensive…