Is this the best zoomable flashlight available? Trustfire Z5

Hi everyone.

Over time I have bought multiple flashlights including 2 zoomable 1x18650 flashlights. I really like them, because of the flood and they throw pretty well compared to my other brighter flashlight.

I ran across the Z5 on ebay and I got interested, because it's XML, supposedly 1600 lumens and holds 2 18650 batteries. It was like an upgraded version of the zoomable 1x18650 flashlight I already had and loved.

I was wondering if this Z5 flashlight is the best zoomable 2x18650 flashlight available for the money (which is about $35), and if not, which one is?

Thanks everyone.

PS, I'm new.

Hi and welcome to the forum

I do not have the Z5 –but I do have three lights with the same size lens and set up as it. I am sure some here have it to comment on. I find the design does not give me enough flood, the bigger lens makes the square hotspot smaller and brighter but it also makes the flood smaller as well –so-better throw at the expense of flood, I prefer adequate throw with great flood.

Please take a look down this post at the picture of the zoomie selections and some other thoughts

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5241

My favorites in the Small size:-the Tank 007 TK736, very well made, good o-rings, nice big sink, smooth, and above average brightness.

Here: http://www.focalprice.com/LFD47B/TANK007_TK736_CREE_Q5_5Mode_230LM_White_WaterResistant_LED_Flashlight_Torch_Black.html

My favorite all purpose all around light is still the SS-A-100 in the XML

Here:

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S020028

Hope this helps, I love zoomies too!

Welcome to the forum!

At the moment, I'm aiming at Small Sun ZY-C10-S or Saik SA-9. Or similar clones.

There is quite a lot of good threads on zoomies, as well as throwers here on the forum.

Here is a few:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4177

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/683

and so on.

Here is the search page. Try different keywords.

Good luck!

Viktor

I don't know if its the best but I like mine.

I Also Enjoy Zoom Capability - This Just Ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150737210878?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It could be a "pig in a poke" - I haven't seen anything written up on it but it looks like it may be pretty good and it's certainly not a "high end" light.

Regards

Here's my review on that light.

After the review I have been using it a lot and learned to love it. It's currently my go to light (inside the house).

And yes. IMHO it's the best zoomable XM-L at the moment.

Ps. Welcome to BLF!!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

_the_, do you think this flashlight is worth the money?

Is it worth the money? Sure! It's great.

Is it the correct one for you? Well.. Yes. Or maybe.. If you want flood to throw XM-L and know how to handle multi cell lights (& aware of the dangers of them)

Dangers? What kind of dangers?

Multi cell lights are not for beginners. Mixing cells with different charge levels can cause accidents like this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

To avoid problems you should use protected batteries and make sure they have the same charge level (= measure voltage with a DMM both before/after use). Nothing major, but you just need to know what you are doing..

Would I still need to worry if I used 2 of the exact same type of batteries?

So it's a problem when 1 of them is half charged and the other one is fully charged?

I do have some protected 18650 batteries, but why do you advice protected batteries?

2 of the same type AND brand is where you start. They should be purchased at the same time and as a pair to assure the likeliness that they were manufactured at the same time and in the same batch.

It would indeed be a problem if one had half a charge and the other was full. They really should be perfectly matched and that's why if you plan on using multiple battery lights you need to have a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) to check voltage. The two batteries should have the exact same voltage reading when they are taken off of the charger. After using them in the light for a while (1/2 -1 hour) pull the batteries and retest them. The voltage will be less but it should be the exact same on both batteries. If they are then you have a proper "matched" pair of batteries.

Unprotected batteries have no protection from over discharging or shorting. If your batteries were drained to much they could overheat and vent. If one battery drains quicker than the other then it will place a greater load one one of them (I forget exactly which of the two) and cause a severe likely hood of venting. When a Li-Ion cell vents it can either expel gas under great pressure and/or even burst into flames causing even more pressure to be released. This will turn your flashlight into a literal pipe bomb and cause great damage to life and limb.

Protected batteries have a built in circuit that cuts off all power before it reaches an unstable low. The same circuit also protects the cell from being drained at a rate that is too high and can cause it to overheat and explode. It also protects the cell from shorting out which can also cause explosion.

While any protection circuit could fail and allow something bad to happen, it is quite rare and while it is possible, it is also very unlikely. Also - and this is very important - running protected batteries does not mean you do not have to have a matched and properly monitored pair of batteries. They should all be treated as if they are unprotected!

Well said, JohnnyMac!

I was about to say about the same, but you were faster. Thanks for helping me to answer! :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep these things in mind.

Got another question.

Is this flashlight as good as a zoomable XM-L flashlight can get? Or do you guys think there will be a better zoomable XM-L flashlight available soon?

It’s definitely not as good as an XM-L zoomer can get. Can’t say when but I’m sure some manufacturer will put out a big head zoomer with at least a 52mm lens. When they do, that one will be loads better than the Z5.

If I was going to buy one today and not mod my own, I'd go with the Yezl T9, but that's just my opinion.

+1, but that head might make it too big to be "pocketable"

Let me respectfully disagree: I've got both of them and I don't like the ergonomics of T9. TF Z5 feels really good and balanced in hand, but Yezl T9 has almost too big head (compared to the length of body). Other things like brightness / flood / throw are quite identical, but the runtime in Z5 is about double.

But then again: If I would want to have a single cell light, I might end up buying the Yezl T9.

I was going to get a Z5 but checked on here first and got talked out of it.

Ended up getting a L2 and MF UF XM-L drop in.

Im glad I didn't get it, I don't really like the idea of multi battery lights now.

I respectfully disagree too, haha.

For me the T9 is quite comfortable, and enough compact to have it on a jacket pocket, most of the weight is on the body and not the head as the battery and the tube weight more than the entire head.

I am not sure what is being sold actually as there had been different batches, being the best ones the first that were released.