It would seem HID is dead.

I believe so.

The last two cars that I have bought 2015 Lincoln Navigator and 2015 Audi A3 both have HID. My daily driver is a Jetta TDI wagon with standard halogens, and they are barely passable. HID projectors are such a significant upgrade over regular halogen reflectors that they aren’t even comparable. When I bought the Audi LED was an option, but I wasn’t sold on automotive LED tech at the time. I feel that when you need multiple point sources to generate enough light for a headlight, then the technology wasn’t there yet. I know know with some of the matrix really cool things are possible. But I really like the ability to change tint in the HIDs with easy vs a lot more involvement with the LEDs. Also, most factory HIDs seem to be sold with the brightest HIDs in the NW range vs LEDs in the CW. I also don’t know if LEDs are going to melt ice from freezing rain or snow as well as HIDs, so that is another consideration.

HIDs still have their place in certain high performance flashlight applications. The Lemax lights are very, very good if you want continous performance. They have large batteries (with modern cells) and never overheat. There is no compareable LED light on the market.

Similarily the Maxabeam and Megaray still don’t have any rivals in stock form. Only the more compact, stamdard HIDs from companies like Polarion will be replaced in the near-term.

I just got my first HID light - Firefoxes FF5. Blows away any of my LED’s. Beautiful white beam with a massive amount of light.

I bought a second FF5. Really like this light. It’s similar in size to a TN42 but had 2x the lux and 4 times the output. Plus the output doesn’t sag in the way led lights do on turbo.

I totally agree! I got the 4300k and I love how it barely gets warm even after being on turbo for 15 minutes. I keep an extra battery carrier loaded with Samsung 30Q’s. Need to come up with a good shoulder strap solution. A guy on a different thread made his one using paracord

Can’t imagine what the FF6 will be. Maybe it’ll use the new Tesla 46800 battery or 12 21700’s for 1 kilowatt with a bigger reflector (:

I’ve never had an HID, mostly just incandescent or those garbage zoomie flashlights. :person_facepalming:

But…I still want to wield the power of an HID flashlight in my hands!

Dude you should totally get the FF5 then! If you point it at any kind of plastic from a few feet away it starts to melt. I zapped an old t shirt (blue) and I could smell it starting to Burn before I came to my senses (: going to do that experiment outside