ive gone completely convoy c8+ mad

Sounds like it would have a beam about like the M1’s. I dig it.

just bought c8+ sst40 2000lm 65000 from BG. Worth to try also another led or not?

It’s hard to keep up! What’s the best version currently for a nice balanced (not pure throw) beam?

My favorite in that category is the Sofirn C8F. The UI is tolerable, but the new version with the high CRI Samsung emitters is calling my name.

My favorite so far is the C8F Sofrin as well. Although mine isn’t quite performing to specs, I will get it there. The Convoy C8+ is really throwy compared to the Sofrin but I really enjoy its beam as well, just wish they have a driver with the SST-40 that does a smooth ramp from moonlight to Turbo.

Yep, I can see I am in good c8 company. I thought five was getting up there for light usage.
I normally carry three c8s when hunting,! one on the rifle two on the hip along with another three small lights.
It can be along time before day break.
KH

First off, welcome to BLF! :partying_face:

Secondly, while I sure appreciate the dedication, why carry so many torches when you can carry just extra batteries?

I dislike the C8 design but it is a nice form factor.
Maybe time to revive the original C8 addicts thread?

Hi gentlemen, can you please explain what is a ramping driver?

Edited because I think I mixed up my modes in my mind !

I ordered convoy c8+ sst40 led with ramping driver , I’ll proberly order one of lexel drivers or led4you , I like bistroHD Firmware

Refer to my manual for Convoy’s ramping driver

Google Photos

Can the firmware be changed ? To say bistro

Thanks for the welcome Jack kellar.
There are a few reasons I carry a couple it’s easier to pull an extra light when cutting up meat at night and also I end up supplying my second one to someone who hasn’t been prepared for a night out. I had a break down in the bush one night thick canopy no moon and no back up, since that day its not a problem.
I carry two extra 18650 for torch or for the night vision unit.
The two little ones are just my edc utorch ut01 and a little one AAA user lumin top,they are always on the hip in the Leatherman sheath.
Funny you should say that about so many torchs, the other night on the way hunting came across a car in a deep ditch, that night every torch I had was used by the time the emergency services arrived.
I suppose most on the forum don’t carry a fire extinguisher in their vehicle.
Years ago a young woman hit a power pole, three people were first on the scene no one had a fire extinguisher the girl was trapped and as they tried to remove her the car went on fire one of the men suffering third degree burns trying to get her out, in the end all they could do was listen to her cry’s and panic by the time emergency services arrived it was to late.
I am equipped for somethings that happen the winch on the ute pulled the vehicle out of the ditch and the elderly person was okay at the end of the day.
I encourage people to carry a fire extinguisher a basic tow rope and a good torch.
KH

I think it can only be flashed to bistro if the driver has ATTiny25.

Thanks for the thread djozz
Looks like a bit of reading and another kiwi who likes the c8 as a rabbit hunting torch.
KH

i also ordered this ,just incase the stock driver isnt the right one

this looks like it has a attiny25 driver on right?

8DIL/DIP package

after talking to lexel , i will keep this driver for a while then upgrade to one of his drivers!

lexel is super kind and super wise

got a few more convoys c8s in the post today

convoy c8+ sand host, not sure whats going in it yet . got a driver in the post but proberly change it for one of lexels bistroHDs

convoy c8+ black with sst40 and rampping driver. its bright and nice

so im on 3x convoy c8s

more to go before ive got enough :slight_smile:

chris

I’ve been thinking about a Convoy C8+ with ramping and a bigger emitter. Can you provide details about the driver and build?

I also have both versions of the Convoy C8+ with SST40. The fit and finish and throw is really good on the Convoys. Totally worth the price.

The “ramping” driver does not have temperature sensing ability, so can get warm. Mode 1&2 are the ramping modes, but it’s not what most folks consider ramping. After 5 quick 1\2 press(no click), you enter into configuration for each mode. It really just steps through from lowest to highest settings in like 35\36 steps with a noticeable blink between each step. It is meant for you to set a specific setting\brightness and memorize it. Not meant as a constant Dimmable ramping circuit like on the Sofrin C8F. It isn’t smooth at all. Switching between modes is also clunky, as you do 1\2 press (no click) for mode 1, 2 x 1\2 press for mode 2, and finally 3 x 1\2 press for mode 3.

Also the Convoy C8+ lacks any kind of moonlight. Lowest setting is still really bright. I love the throw and build quality though. But the UI needs improvement. It always starts in mode 1. So I set mode 1 to be dimmest, mode 2 to be somewhere in between, mode 3 at 100% turbo. Never bother with the “ramping” or special modes after initially setting it up.

The temperature regulated model is even simpler, but it doesn’t stay bright for long since temperature regulation kicks in. So of the 2 I pick the ramping driver.

I think this light would be perfect with crescendo\bistro where you get adjustability, true moon light, and a ton of modes for specific applications, like bike flash etc…

Convoy also makes a great stainless steel bezel that also fit on many other C8 from other companies, and a remote rear cap switch making this a very versatile platform.

My daily at home flashlight is the Sofirn C8F, the ramping mode on that is stepless smooth and it has moonlight mode. The Convoy goes with me on hiking trips where a little distance throw is needed.