Jacob A60...Best Thrower For The Money!!

I finally took mine out last night. No mods yet. It is quite impressive and fun. Quickly found that is helpful for trying to peer into the woods between the trees. Just got to try to not ruin night vision hitting nearby trees and brush. I think its time to see what Gords is always talking about and put an xpg2 on copper in this baby. Dedomed of course.

I'd choose dedomed xpg2 over dedomed xpe2 (on copper). If both are driven properly (xpe2 at 2A, xpg2 at 4.5A) throw is the same and the xpg2 has much more beam.

I think someone said the xp-g2 didn’t work too good in the reflector, but it cant hurt to try.

oh, sorry. I didn’t use an imr, but the same cell I used with thicker than stock wires pushed 3.46a on another a60 hence why I went back to the stock wires, they act as your current limit.

a much nicer conversion would be a contact board 20mm and a 3 mode nanjg to suit your chosen emitter.

I bought a couple of these. They are pulling around 1.5A at the tailcap. Have been interested in your mods gords1001 but would rather not go direct drive. Was thinking of trying an XP-G2 (not dedomed) on Noctigon and a 3A driver if I can find a decent one.

Actually, I'd rather an XP-E2 but I'll have to learn to reflow first as these don't seem to be available on copper.

Just confirming then that the driver cavity is deep enough for driver plus contact board? I thought I read somewhere that there wasn't much room in there.

No paper disk or any other dodgy "spacer" on my samples btw. Just nicely mounted on thermal grease.

I dedomed and XP-E, 24 hours. Then into a 35mm film canister half filled with metholated spirits, a good 5 minute ‘sloosh’….then I blow dried it with a hairdrier on cold……

Then it went into the already notorious Small Sun ZY-C10-s……

It made the die projection over 2 thirds smaller!

I likes it!

I went and connected the Positive wire to the little + sign in the middle of the driver.... Which means direct drive..

Thanks Gords1001 for the idea!
Mine didn`t get above 1.7 yet... must be the wires.. But at least it`s still in a safer zone than 2+ with stock led,star etc.

So did you notice much difference in output? Any plans to upgrade the emitter wires?

Honestly, I couldn`t remember exactly how it looked like before the mod.. lol...

I just grabbed it, and did the mod, afterward turned it on.. and thought... hmmm is this brighter?
I`m actually sure it`s not that much brighter.. it only went from 1.2A to 1.7A..

No medium and strobe modes anymore.. High off High off..that`s all what it does.

not sure if I will change the wires.. I`m afraid of a little overkill then.

I guess 1.7A is not that great, but still OK for an XRE led.

Well, 1.7A is overspec anyway despite the supposedly good thermal path on this light.

One of mine has an off-centre emitter. The emitter area is actually off-centre inside its dome and ring, not in the reflector. It makes the hotspot and rings a bit oddly shaped but in truth its probably only noticeable when white-wall hunting.

I might get curious in the next few days and try direct-driving it to see if makes much difference. One blown emitter wouldn't be the end of the world.

I can not think of an optical reason why a reflector is not suitable for one or the other emitter exept that the led must fit in the hole. I think it is a myth created by people who do not centre/focus their leds properly in the reflector.

quite possible djozz, I’ve not played about much, been busy with so much other stuff both torch and real life related that its just waiting for its turn.

I do kind of like the simplicity of it as it is.

old school emitter, simple on off control, job done.

I'm the one who posted on the difficulty focusing the XP-G2 in the A60. This was with the dome, had a lot of trouble with it, not great throw, so after a lot of fiddling, gave up on it and then tried the XP-E2 -- much better, better focus, good throw #'s. Certainly welcome of others to try the XP-G2 -- I've posted this before, to hope someone else try it and see if they have better luck, but haven't recalled seeing anything on it. I know luminarium iaculator has done many XP-E2 de-domed A60 with great throw results, over 200 kcd, so I'm a believer in the XP-E2 for this reflector. My A60 XP-E2's do 105-112 kcd or so, with dome -- haven't tried a de-dome yet.

I have an ok (but basic) knowledge of optics, but dr. Jones has corrected me before on my optical ideas, perhaps he has an answer on why the A60 reflector would not fit a xp-g2 well :-)

Over spec? Really? I'm confused - we don't do anything much to spec here Smile. Spec on XML ans XM-L2's is 3A, but even stock lights go higher than that. The XR-E seems to peak at about 2.1-2.2A in output from what I recall, does a little better on copper -- the Noctigon MT-G2 star will work with it, though it's 20mm and not a fit for a Jacob.

fyi for the direct drive mode - actually chances are slim you will blow the emitter - in direct drive, the LED will limit the current plus all the resistance, so maybe Gords can clarify, but I think you will see the 2-3A range for direct drive. Think he used thinner LED wires to cut down on the amps.

XR-E and XP-E have similar profiles from the density/dye size - maybe that has something to do with it. But again, am I the only one that tried this?? Anyone else?

I can’t get good result from XPG2 as well. I don’t know why, but the output lumens/lux does not match the current - it’s supposed to give much higher output than what I’m getting.

One explanation would be it’s not focused properly, and it’s losing lights sideways or on the spill etc. But I’ve never really tried to find out for real.

Ohh ok, thanx - some validation. Thanks Pulsar13!

I'll have to try both emitters. I think I will prefer the xpg2 for more overall lumens.

Think I’ll try the DD approach, finally got my T-mart meter so I’ll do a tailcap reading beforehand and see what we’re starting with. Thanks everyone! :slight_smile: