Jacob A60 - first impressions

Just measured my third a60 from dx, arrived a week ago.

1.65 amps, but only on 20 awg illumination supply wire, all I have at the moment.

Its far better than the other 2 ive had from them.

fwiw

Chris

Just tested mine from AuraBuy and I must have got lucky as it pulls 2.2 amps on a Keeppower 2600 mah battery.
I was one of the first to get this light from them so maybe it is of a different batch, don’t know.

It throws well and the tint is fine, just white, so I am not going to be modding this one.
Thanks,
Keith

I got one of those 1 Amp Jacobs too. Now it draws 2.2 Amps on a fresly charged battery, how?
I had to disassemble the LED-driver part anyway to repair the next-mode behaviour with a 1 MOhm resistor across the condenser (as stated elsewhere in this forum). To get more current I simply shorted one of the 1 Ohm resistors with a piece of wire to make it direct drive (I keep the MOSFET though so low level and strobe still function).
Thats all.

I would like to do that to mine. Do you Have Pictures. Here a picture of my driver.

Hello sixty. Did you see any noticeable or significant improvement in the light ouput/throw?
If not, then it will be a disadvantage drawing that much current and being wasted somewhere.
If yes, I would like to do that same mod on mine.

I don’t have pictures. Referring to your picture, mount the 1 MOhm resistor on the empty pads in the top above the condenser or directly on the condenser. The two 1 Ohm resistors are to the far left. Short one of them.

I'm driving an A60 at 2.45A, others too, and seems to do better. At 2.8A, I saw no improvement. I think from other postings and my own experience, 2.2-2.5A is the range you want to be in for max output with either the stock Q5 or an R2.

ok. managed to test mine today and well 0.75a on high didn’t really do it for me. :~

so as an exercise in what can be done with nothing but a soldering iron, neddle nose pliers and a van front seat, I made the first iteration.

Here’s how it looks when you first open her up. you want to relocate the red wire to the centre contact and the blue to the outer contact. instant power upgrade and low/strobe delete J) (direct drive in other words)

Here’s how it looks, it could be much neater if you removed the board, resoldered to the board then to the emitters. I didn’t….

anyway, result is 2.54a at the tail and with a very low resistance tailcap, it should be close to that when buttoned up.

next job is to add a 3 mode 2.5a driver and possibly an xre r2 but for now I’m happier than I was when I took a tailcap reading.

I have 2 A60’s from DX. One was pulling 2.1a 72k lux and the other was pulling 1.3a 60k lux (dedomed). Now after Tom E built up the 20mm driver from IO the orgional 60k dedomed light now is doing 72-75k. The dedomed led was a random one in my parts box so who knows what bin it is. Was hoping that the dedoming would have a similar effect as dedoming xml’s by significantly increasing throw. The spot is now 50% smaller (and pretty ringy).

I have a couple of the R2’s now and going to throw one in the place of the dedomed one to see how it acts. Maybe It can get up in 80’s as others have seen.

I think if people get a A60 thats driven good from the factory then theres probably only a 10-15% increase with a R2 thats driven to 2.45a.

Gords when you did your mod did it become a one mode light direct drive?

Yes it did. With that mod the driver becomes a simple contact plate full of useless electronic parts (with the possibility to solder the wires back in place and recover the modes and the very low output)
Edit sorry for answering in behalf of gords

Thats what i figured just wanted to make sure though.

Thanks

24.02.2013 - order
11.03.2013 - delivered
from Aurabuy
I also must have got lucky as it pulls 2,2-2,4 A on a Samsung 2600 mah :slight_smile: No mod.

perhaps I should have been clearer :bigsmile: strobe/low mode delete = 1 mode light. :bigsmile:

nice to see totilde had my back though.

if potted it would be ideal as a gun light. I do intend to add a 2.5a nanjg set to 3 mode though. You could increase the emitter wire size as I did on daveh’s light but as tom pounted out its debatable if there’s any benefit.

First thks to gords1001,and tome,and anyone else i failed to mention concerning a60.I have rewired the light with elcheapo 22 gauge wire,couldnt wait for goodstuff i ordered.Anyway it now pulls with a fresh Charged xtar 2600 2.82a.

So the real problem is just the cheap-o wiring used in the light? Wow!

-Garry

Well i dont know mine was pulling 1.9-2.14 before i changed the wire ,buts its still not a bad increase…

Oh, so yours wasn't as bad as others. I see. It may or may not be the wiring.

-Garry

I was going to do the board mod GORD1001 did,but i thought if it is already at decent amps i might fry the led, ,first timer so to speak, so i tried the wire first.the wiring on mine was really thin.I will live with it for now.Thanks to kind member for board. :slight_smile:

interesting, I may scrounge in the van again tomorrow, so you have hi low strobe with 2.8a high? and yet by simply relocating the wires to bypass the driver I still pull 2.5a on the crappy wires. Hmmm