Jacob A60 or C8 or Xin TD U3

here is the lightmalls c8 U3

the HD2010 is a 26650 light vs and 18650

ken

If you want a dedicated thrower, yes. Even with the difference between T6 bin and U3 bin I am most sure it will still outperform. Throw is more determined by reflector size than the emitter's bin (unless you are comparing different bins in the same host).

The HD2010 comes with a battery sleeve which allows you to run 18650's as well as 26650's. Don't discount it just because it runs 26650's. You will definitely need good batteries to run it hard like it wants to!

-Garry

i actually have an hd2010 but i use only 26650’s in it, i mean it is what it is so why would i want to run it on a smaller cell, just to save the weight difference or not have to have 26650’s and charger? I just see a basic utility difference in a c8 size light and the hd2010, love my 2010 but anticipate using the c8 more. and of course the c8 is less expensive. :slight_smile: In any case i am learning a lot here and these are just my personal observations.

ken

It's just that if you don't own 26650's yet the ability to run an 18650 is already there. No need for new cells or new charger right away. Of course you can always substitute an 18650 for a 26650 using a homemade PVC spacer (cut down PVC water pipe or electrical conduit pipe).

-Garry

If wow factor is what you are looking for I would say get the HD2010 as soon as can. I have a C8 with a U2 and it wont even get close wow like the HD2010. The C8 has more flood then 2010 but the 2010 out throws the C8. When showing both these lights to a non-flashaholic they go crazy over the 2010. They still like the C8 but love the 2010. I personally use the C8 more then I do the 2010 and like the beam profile that it has. Its alot more everyday usable.

I think you will get the wow with the C8 U3, get the 2010 or the Small Sun that Garry was talking about to get a different kind of wow.

:bigsmile: you wont be disapointed either way

I have only 18650 batteries, so i’m looking at some flashlight which i can use them with.
2010 has more throw than C8 but would it beat a C8 with U3 ??

Not understanding what you mean by "beat". The HD2010 "beats" the C8 for throw no problem, even when driven with an 18650 instead of a 26650 and being a T6 vs. a U3. apt323 vouches for this even comparing a C8 with a U2 vs. the T6 HD2010. Are you looking for flood? Flood generally doesn't impress like throw does.

No problem here like I've been saying. Any light you choose will work best on higher quality cells though. The HD2010 is no excepetion. Plenty of users have been using 18650's in their HD2010's.

-Garry

I fill the same as to what Garry stated in posts #6, and #8.

Theres only one way to understand some of these things and its buying lights, looking at the beams and doing back to back comparisions to understand what is being said. Well at least it was with me. :bigsmile:

When I said beat I meant throw, I have a skyray king and Am looming for a cheap thrower, skyray has plenty of flood. So I should be looking at 2010 for throw… It’s a 30$ flashlight, any other suggestions ? What abt xp-g LEDs?

Your next best option is probably the Jacob A60 (if still available) with the slight modding to improve heatsinking (remove paper disk if there, de-annodize the pill surface, and remount the emitter). It's a direct drive XR-E with a large head and these are throw kings, albeit thin "pencil beams". It's only about $14, so it's a no-brainer to just buy it. I don't know of any high performance XP-G (or even XP-G2) lights apart from mods.

-Garry

Where are you located? You could check with Dave-H over in this thread about getting his A60.

-Garry

How about the Small Sun ZY-C10 zoomer. Reviewed here. Highly regarded around here. Not sure how you feel about a zoomer.

-Garry

i agree with all of the above. if you can only get one light on a budget (i am) and want a thrower with wow factor i would go with the hd2010 (imho). there are so many lights out there that it can be very difficult to choose. ever since joining this forum i have been averaging two new lights a week. i am learning an enormous amount and still have only scratched the surface. these knowledgeable guys are really amazing and do not look down on us newbies but encourage us to try and experiment. quite a difference from another flashlight forum that is out there.

if i am showing folks my flashlights, if there is a close horizon like a nearby treeline, i bring out the sky ray king. if it is a distant horizon, the hd2010 really wows.

ken
thanking all the pros here for cutting me some slack! :slight_smile:

Clearly the hd2010 is a forum favorite. How’s the build quality on the fandy fires ? Any place where I can buy them off cheap ?

That link to LightsCastle has been the cheapest I know of and I've had some good dealings with LightsCastle recently. There is a thread on the Lightscastle HD2010 too. It has been found that the FandyFire's seem to be a little better build than the other *fire brands. It's at least the same. I bought the Ultrafire HD2010 from T-Mart because they gave a discount and it was shipped from a US Warehouse. It's a very good build quality. Much better than the typical cheaper $10 to $15 budget lights. Like I've said, mine is dead and I don't know why. I don't like the direct drive on high driver anyway, so I am planning to mod it with a regulated driver and a U3 emitter (apparently my emitter is dead). The only issue I am aware of with these HD2010's is the potential for the metal reflector base to short the wires at the LED. You just need to add an insulator there. Apparently many users have done nothing and not had an issue.

-Garry

Small Sun ZY-T08 is often mentioned as comparable to HD 2010. $27 at Manafont.

Yeah, like I said the Small Sun ZY-T08 is very very nice (my current fav), but it's only driven at about 2.4A stock. My version seems to give me a "Turbo" at 4.0A sometimes, but I don't know how or when or what's going on. It is a very good build, will still impress as is, and doesn't need any modding other than tightening the pill (very very easy). At $26 to $27 it's worth buying for sure.

-Garry

I would have a good long look at the zy-t08, its two cell, but two in parallel, throws damm fine as is and can be easily modded in the future.

I like mine a lot, to the point I’m struggling to justify buying an hd2010, not that I won’t probably buy one, but its more difficult to justify.

I have KD C8, Xintd C8 V3 and a couple HD2010s.

I tend to carry C8 all the time due to the smaller weigt and size but I pick up HD2010 when I want more light and throw.

Xintd C8 has more output and a tighter spot than KD C8 due to the deeper reflector. The switch of Xintd is a bit more recessed than on KD C8 and a lot firmer. I changed the rubber boot on my Xintd to make it easier to handle with heavy gloves on. Xintd has better modes (no flashy modes) and is of better quality. I like the gray color better as well.

On the other hand, my daily light currently is KD C8 that I’ve changed an orange peel reflector on. It has a wider spill than Xintd as well due to the reflector. Yet is has more than enough throw for my general use.

My HD2010s are all pretty similar, although one sample from Tmart has some minor issues with modes and a Fandyfire from Lightscastle is the best one of my samples by a small difference. Assuming some variation from unit to another I’d make no generalisation from my experience.

Throw (yes, fat, wide, throwy beam)…

Small Sun Zy-T08 (super throw)
HD2010 (super throw)
Fandyfire STL-V2 (super, super throw)

Flood/throw (a big circle of a beam, not good throw)…

Any C8 (maybe bright, but not throwy)

Nothing replaces a good thrower. Get the T08 or HD2010. You’ll totally be impressed (maybe Lightscastle 2010s are more reliable than Tmart’s)