Jexree Mini mod V6 with XP-L V6 3D on DTP with 18awg wires & the bare MTN12DD board with *detailed* mod info

I had plan to low resistance mod the tail spring, but when i measured the ground path from the bottom spring to the top part of the light that is bare aluminum that connects to the driver brass ring, i got 0,0ohm :slight_smile: my DMM couldn’t even pick up the resistance, i am sure there is some resistance but not enough that it will have any noticeable impact on the current.

So i guess this could indicate that djozz was right when he speculated that the small spring could be Beryllium-copper.

But i measured the connection through the pcb before i installed the wires when i took all the components of and made it DD, so i know i have at least 6+6ohms of losses by not going through the board, not including the losses by only using the stock wires.

^ Good info. Thank you.

A little OT, but it has crossed my mind a few time with this light and I always forget to follow through. Since the tail cap is threaded, is anyone aware of any switched tail caps that might fit this light?

I don’t know enough tailcap switches, so i hope someone respond with that they know of one because it is a good idea, BUT what i have thought of is to try to make a plunger tail cap button that controls the QTC.

I don’t really know how yet but i will be interesting to try to figure out.

EDIT
I tried with my Hugsby XP-1’s tail cap switch, and it is frustratingly close but it is to large, and the interesting thing about the hugsby’s switch is it looks to be serviceable, very strange because the other side, the head is crazy difficult to get in :frowning:

I’m in for a couple of EE tubes

EDIT: Oops, more tired than I realise

I think you meant to post that in the A6 shorty tube thread :wink:

EDIT i know the feeling all to well :weary: :wink:

Thanks for the info on the xp1 tailcap cajmapa. It was a good idea to try out.

I really dig these Jexree Mini's, but they keep getting pushed down on the "To Do" list. I have a dozen of them in different colors that I bought a long time ago to gift out for Christmas.

I'm thinking about doubling or tripling one of the caps to see if that helps with the mode switching issue.

I also want to design a 1 mode OSH Park driver board that the used the parts from the stock driver. It would require a different boost chip (PAM2803) that I already have. HarleyQuin has given me a copy of his Eagle files to help speed me up. He has been working on a boost driver in this thread.

I see these for sale in lots of five; any place selling one at a time?

^

Not off the top of my head.

Unless you know a way to fix the mode switching issue, I wouldn't recommend them if you want to stick with AAA. I don't recall if anyone has a decent after-market boost driver that fits this light.

If you want to got Li-ion, I think there are a couple linear and DD OSH Park boards available.

What mode switching issue are you guys having? I had 18sixfifty mod me two of these lights and they are only single mode direct drive. Bright as heck.

^

The stock driver is real flaky when it comes to changing modes. Stock the light is a AAA light. Are you using AAA's in yours?

No I’m using a lion.

Nice, i hope you succeed with PAM2803 based boost driver. Because you are right the stock one is flaky, i only use the stock driver with a 10440 so it just goes DD anyway.

Do you have an estimate how much amp it could give on an eneloop?

I have bought them in singles before, but that is only as part of aliexpress promotions, you know sometimes they have them massive sales & they run games where you can win points and such, when everything is discounted and around then you can usually pick them in singles.

cajampa wrote:

. . . Do you have an estimate how much amp it could give on an eneloop?

I don't. I haven't studied the data sheet yet. I also need to revisit the data sheet for the stock boost chip to see if it can be configed to single mode. I think I already did that before I bought some PAM2803, but I'm not sure.

Hi guys, I have finally uploaded some pictures on the Jexree Mini mod, sorry it has taken this long.

Remember to open in a new window if you want to see the full size pictures.

Size in my open hand.

Size in my closed hand :wink:

Size compared to a pen.

Size compared to the A6 & a Sanyo GA

Weight on my milligram scale.
I like to formulate my own supplements and a good 0.001g scale is a must have :slight_smile:

The Jexree Mini weights 16.688g

Efest IMR10440 9.126g = 25.814g So i guess to call it a 26g light with the cell is fair then :wink:

Taken apart, You can see i have worn down the anodizing where the clip is, that was my mistake don’t try to twist around the clip without being very careful and it wont happen. The clip hasn’t scratch the anodizing during normal use since.

Don’t use anything other than an Efest IMR10440 or you will just cheat yourself out of a lot of output and enjoyment :wink:

The stock driver stripped & measured to find the negative & positive point & soldered the stock wires. I didn’t upgrade the wires but they are quite annoying to solder because they are covered with pvc so the cover melts really easy.

And if you wanted to get more amp, you can always upgrade the led wires to a thicker gauge & drill through the “driver” board to up the amp, but i like it like this I get about 15 min of use from a charge & that lasts about a week for just around the house EDC use.

I don’t use the QTC as a way to get modes anymore, it limited max amp to much & i could never get it to work right + they wore out too quickly. But i have found another way that works much better and doesn’t limit max amp at all :wink:
But how will have to wait :p, i have recorded some videos & i will make a separate post on how to do it later.

That lens you can see there is the stock one, i tried a couple i mentioned earlier in the thread with AR, but i have since learned i REALLY don’t like any kind of AR to screw with my lovely 3D tint :wink:
Maybe it can give a few % more in output but with uglier beam why bother.

Another thing you should keep in mind is when you screw on the top bezel it often catch the o-ring, so i use a small flat screwdriver to press it back carefully as i fit the bezel.

The heavily cut down Noctigon mcpcb, i didn’t have 10mm sinkpads when I did this, but even those have to be slightly cut or filed down to fit. But it is so worth the effort because nothing can break the led with a proper DTP mcpcb heatsinking away the heat in to the aluminium body.

I used some arctic silver but i think some fujick might work better, because it is rather fiddly to get the mcpcb to stay perfectly centered if you don’t cut it right.

Fortunately the plastic led holder presses the mcpcb down in to the shelf. But make sure you have enough heatpaste by pressing it down & check the imprint that there is no air gaps, if it are add more or much better make sure you make the bottom mcpcb as even as possible by filing or sanding down any unevenness

The reflector is slightly damaged after an incident where the light accidentally went for a wash in the washing machine :O, fortunately no water had penetrated in to the tube where the cell is, but the reflector got a little damaged.
But that’s it :slight_smile: i wouldn’t call it washing machine safe but at least it didn’t blow up :slight_smile: And any normal wetness it encounter i don’t have to worry about because if it can survive a washer ride it will survive anything :wink:

How it fits in my pocket.

The Jexree Mini with a XP-L V6 3D, beamshot with a crappy mobil camera
And remember this reflector is slightly damaged so it has probably lost a little lumens in the process.

The BLF A6 3D with a well used but fresh of the charger Samsung 20R at full turbo.
The pictures are from a balcony shining down on grass.

I like the beam of the Jexree Mini more, because for inside use & anything close up in front to me the hotspot is big and not sharp and the spill is smooth and wide.

I love my little Jexree Mini & so far i haven’t found any potential EDC light that has taken its place.

I have recorded some videos also, but really don’t know how to publish those yet, but if & when i figure out how to upload those i will try to post those as well.

Some extra beamshot with my crappy mobile camera,

This is of the white roof with me sitting at the floor pointing the lights up.

This is the Jexree Mini
You can clearly see why this is so useful inside for example, a big softspot with wide very smooth spill compered to the much smaller sharper beam the A6’s reflector makes, the A6 you kind of have to point to the thing in front of you to illuminate it, but with the Jexree Mini you just have to hold it in the general direction for you to clearly see everything needed. I hope the A6 triple with an optic will have a more similar beam and more than twice the output :slight_smile:

And this is the A6 at turbo.
You can clearly see why i don’t like the AR glass on the A6 or any AR, it makes the lovely neutral white with a hint of rose in to a much uglier greenish neutral white :frowning:
I have ordered this 20mm x 1.0mm Water White Glass from kaidomain that i hope will fix the tint shifting on those A6’s i will not convert to triples.

Video's can be uploaded to youtube and the youtube address can be copy-pasted in the editor's film pop-op menu.

I'm actually glad your qtc mod did not work well because I was planning to do that with my mod too and was hesitating to start.

I'm looking forward to your new solution :-)

Excellent mod and info cajampa. You certainly have me wanting to copy it. Thank you for sharing.

I have one nearly identical to cajampa’s. In my opinion it’s not the most practical light, but it sure is fun to pull out this tiny thing that reminds people of a mag solitaire, then blast them with 600+ lumens

Last weekend my brother was visiting with his family and i decided i wanted build him a Jexree Mini XP-L V6 3D.

I always get my best solutions to problems & my intuition works best, either in my sleep or from the flow state i get from wanting to give something special to a loved one :slight_smile:
So i stayed up all night and built the version 5 Jexree Mini mod :bigsmile:

This time i used Richards premium silicon 22awg wires instead of the 26awg (i think pvc insulated) stock ones. And Richards MTN-12DD as the bare driver board.

I considered drilling through the diver for minimum resistance but decided against it because in a twisty the solder bump would get lots of wear and tear, so I don’t longer think this is a good idea.

And with the MTN-12DD board there are plenty of vias that give great connection through the board anyway :slight_smile:

The real trick to building these Jexree mini’s with a thicker mcpcb and thicker wires, so they look stock and still use plastic led protector/reflector insulator/holder, is to file and sand down the sides where the wires go on the plastic holder to make room for the solder bump. It still crazy little room & the solder needs to be perfect or it wont fit.

You also need to pre treat the wire to get the right angle before you try and solder it down. Press the wires leads out on the pads to flatten it with your nail before you add a little flux to both the pad & wires.

Here are some pictures that explain how it need to look to be able to fit under the protector.

Sorry for the blurry pic i couldn’t get my mobil camera to focus properly, but the important part is that if the protector doesn’t fit right on top of the mcpcb, it won’t screw together with the reflector/glass lens/o ring/bezel on top of it.

Another tip is to pre stretch the o ring before you screw the o ring down so it snag less on the bezel.

Here is the MTN-12DD board

And YES it got of course much brighter, i think at least 20% when compared side by side with 2 fresh cells with the 26awg stock wire + striped stock driver version. BUT that old version light has been used for months daily and have a tiny bit of reflector damage from a washer ride :smiley: though :zipper_mouth_face:

But version 5 is much brighter and and even hotter & it was again just as thrilling and exiting as when i built it for the first time all those months ago :slight_smile: and the best of it all, I could give my brother his own little Jexree Mini XP-L V6 3D blaster :bigsmile:
+some Efest IMR10440 cells & the XTAR MC0.

And when i was working on that light i was also starting to figuring out how to build version 6 :wink: