jmpaul320's skyray king upgrade thread UPDATED 1/12/13

I might do this too. I picked up a mimic and one of the LEDs flickers on low. Since it’s just the one, I’m thinking either faulty wire or LED.

I bought 3 XM-L2 T6's but have only 1 left - I'd sell you the one I have for cost, but 1 won't help you much. I took O-L's recommendation on the 22 gauge teflon silver coated wire, and just got it in the other day from his referral: ebay.com 25-feet-22-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Red-19-Strands - excellent qualiity, very neatly put together by this vendor. I got the red and 1 other color -- now I need a good quality stripper, but don't we all!

Follow JohnnyMac and O-L's advice, totally agree. I've been using Arctic Alumina epoxy, but it does harden up pretty quick, not good specially if you are doing 3 at a time -- please follow JohnnyMac's advice to the "t" on this -- sounds like a perfect way to do multi emitters. I have to order some Fujik epoxy now, think FastTech has it.

Believe me, it will take a while and a few bucks to stock up on parts, tools, etc. I started basically in October on my own mods and have been learning something new just about every day since. Good things to have: decent iron w/small & large tips, DMM with 12 gauge custom leads (10-20 amp capability), good dremel style tool, light meter, SS tweezers - assorted, clamps/vise, assorted hand files (ala O-L), good needle nose, good cutters, etc.

Thanks for the link and advise Tom. Fortunately I have done a few mag mods so I have a lot of tools needed. I’ve got a nice proxxon rotary tool that puts dremels to shame :wink:

I wouldn’t use Fujik on this, simply because the led star is always firmly pressed by reflector. Much easier to just stay with the cpu thermal grease, and makes future mod or repair much easier.

Since you’re swapping XM-L2, might as well go for the resistor mod and do 3A per emitter. That would push your king to reach 3000 lumens, that would be an impressive mod.

I am not familiar with this resistor mod. Do you have a link??

Pavithra_UK did this. You need to change the 15k resistor to 10k. Either swap the resistors, or piggyback another 30k resistor on top of the 15k.

Thanks!

Maybe ill do the resistor mod first while I’m waiting for someone to stock the emitters on stars…

Ok, better still - you do got some exp! I know you've been buying some mod'ed stuff from Vinh, so wasn't sure. I still got my 7G9 that I had Vinh mod from seeing your posting on it, and we pm'ed about it later. I did do the U3 and driver mod on my HD 2010 we talked about - very nice now, like it, but the 7G9 is just a beast -- still my best thrower.

I got the FastTech FandyFire version of the SRK, and really like it! Got to look-up that resistor mod - it's great now, but that would take it to the next level. Also got 5 XM-L2 U2's on the way, so maybe I'll use 3 of those on this light. Maybe the thermal grease would do as suggested, with the teflon wire and resistor mod, wow!!

Vinh did a emitter swap on my hd2010 to xml2 neutral dedome. Ill make a post on it when I receive it.

I’m also interested in a 5 xml2 swap in my trj12 with kd driver. But well see how this goes

For those who are torned up not getting XM-L2s, or feel they’re still overpriced, just remember XM-L U3s are available for around $5 shipped at Fasttech now. I think they’re rated 1100lm@3A, not bad against 1192lm@3A for XM-L2.

Yes - still got a couple of U3 1C's, but man, I was paying $8.50, now under $5 @FastTech!! LightMalls swears they got U3 1A's, but just can't quite convince myself they are telling the truth.

I just read that entire SRK "mod idea" thread, and wow, very interesting goings ons... Now I got to open up my FastTech FF King, and see if it matches up.

i think due to the fact that xml2 on stars are hard to come by now - I will proceed with the other parts of this mod first…. resistor, teflon wires, & maybe try and hunt down a ucl

i will be interested to see what kind of increase in output i get on just stock XML t6 3c emitters.

Will u add a medium mode to the light. the king so needs a Med mode.
I hate mine just cuz of that.
Interesting mod will subscribe to this. :nerd_face:

I don’t think I will add a medium mode. Beyond my skill level and I don’t really need one myself.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct resistor?
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Xicon/288-0603-10K-RC/&qs=sGAEpiMZZMvmogu7fABzFiZJTnmIDHuL

And there should be 3 correct? One for each led?

That’s 0603, I think the size in the King was 0805 but not that sure.

If you’re willing to wait, just spend $2 here for everything you need:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000028/1005200-0805-39k-62k-smd-resistors-value-pack-270-piece

Piggyback 30k on top is much easier IMO, and will actually add wattage rating. And yes, you need 3 pcs.

EDIT: I opened up mine and confirm the original resistor size is 0603. But for the purpose, I find size 0805 still fits, so you still can use the fasttech resistor above.

I don’t mind waiting. Thanks for the link. Someone posted the size as 0603 in the other thread. Can someone confirm?

I’m trying to dismantle my mimic, and I’m not getting how to get that driver board out. I took the button off, but there’s no leverage there to get to the board that I can see. Am I just being to gentle in my prying?

It really depends on your light builder, some, as in mine, are really epoxy-happy. Mine was overflowing with epoxy on the inside! I had to use NAILS and pound them on the sides, I think it required 5 nail points to finally break the driver contact with the body.

Please don’t try with 2 inches nails though :bigsmile: just use proper reasoning for nail size

As far as a ucl - I bet I can get a mag ucl to fit.

King - 54.86mm x 3mm
Mag - 52.1mm x 1.83mm

Might be a little small and rattle but I think I can jam an o ring in there.

Pounding nails in there eh? Yeah, I guess I’m being too gentle :stuck_out_tongue: