Johnny Cash inspired parts bin build DBC LOC 5.3.18 Finished! :D

Life would be to easy if there wasn’t any Frankensteining hassles. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finished! :smiley:

Most pics added in the original post, here’s the finished light… 1818 lumens from the SST-40 sliced diced and shaved….

Lookin’ for a beamshot! :sunglasses:

Best I can do before sundown David, shot in our bedroom… my Carolina Reaper is in the corner creating buds….

@DB Custom

Is it an easy fix? I had a flashlight with this driver get this behavior and I just gave up on trying to measure amps on it

You have to build a little pyramid… the 10 ohm capacitor at C1 and the diode get pyramid’ed up against a resistor that’s added, this smooths the readout in the circuit and makes it stable. Can’t remember at the moment what value of resistor is added and there are some other ways to do it but the little pyramid is the most interesting way. :wink:

A post from djozz along with a picture…

To quote Jos… “First I soldered C1 vertical on its ground pad, then I unsoldered D1 from its led+ pad and soldered it leaning against C1. Then the 10 Ohm resistor was soldered between led+ (the old and now vacant D1 pad) and the top of the pyramid. The top was then filed as low as possible without damaging the components.”

They usually only do it when you get high current from a triple or quad, but in this case the SST-40 is probably trying to pull 8-9 Amps.

Sweet light Dale.
Well done on the build. The hotspot looks very clean and intense. :beer:

Looks nice probably end up with 900+ yards of throw or so is my guess

Making me doubly jealous in a single picture! Good thing there wasn’t coffee in there too. I don’t know if I could stand it! :open_mouth:

…but I would happily impatiently wait until sundown to get a good outside beam-shot, too. :wink:

David, that Carolina Raper sprouted last August and at one point, month or so ago, the dang thing was up against the ceiling! I cut it back to about 16” tall and it came out with a vengeance and seems determined to hit the ceiling again! I’m doing everything they say to do, watering every other with epsom salt for magnesium content, once a month I add in some diatemaceous earth, but the dang plant keeps dropping lower leaves and when it blooms the flowers fall off. It came back out blooming right off the top and then dropped everything and started growing like crazy, now all the forks have those little 3 at a time buds coming out, must be 100 of em on there! If I can just get it to keep the flowers and produce I’d be ecstatic!

Almost out of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, gotta order some more…. :wink:

With the ground issue addressed and the 20700A cell charged up, it tops off at 1907 lumens at start. I don’t know why it’s “so low”, I’ve got another of these emitters (dome on) making 2671 lumens. Could be the slice/dice/shave thing……

I’ve got 3 SST-40’s, (dome on) in my SP03 from Solarstorm and I used a Master/2 Slave set-up so each emitter has it’s own FET. That light is giving me 2656 from each emitter! 7969.5 lumens from 4 LG HE-4 cells.

I’m not gonna lie when you said Carolina reaper is budding in the corner the first thing I was thinking of wasn’t flowers. I was thinking did Texas legalize already. There’s no way he’s showing his grow if it not legal yet. It up to 7 or 8 states now legal to grow
That’s the perfect marijuana stain name

Well, this is legal but I don’t know if it ought to be! What am I gonna do with dozens of 2 million Scoville unit peppers?

Group buy! Or better yet Giveaway! I see you just recently passed 17000 posts! :wink:

Seriously, though, get a juicer, and make your own “mace” pepper spray. No critter on Earth would be crazy enough to pursue you after a spritz from that!

Use a little bit at a time in some jambalaya and gumbos, red beans and rice Can always sry some out crush it up and mix it with some crushed red pepper. Put a little bit in some rotel dip. Which is usually 3 cans two drained i use two hots one regular. You can drain 1 depends on the spice level you want. 2lbs of meat. Sometimes 1.5, a block of veletta cut up into cubes. And 16oz of sour cream. And cook until melted. Brown the beef first. And I use tortilla chips to eat it with. My wife uses red Doritos. It would go great in that

Red beans isn’t red beans without hot sauce. I use crushed red pepper on pizza and other things. I’d mix it in with my red pepper to bring the spice down a little bit but higher then red pepper alone

I have multiple little sprouts of Red Savina Habanero about to be transplated to the garden outside. :slight_smile:

Awesome the hot rotel is made with habanero

Habanero is typically about half the heat of Red Savina. :wink:

A beamshot, my first with this phone, from the iPhone 8…

I didn’t get my settings right, should have set it up like my usual but I, uh, forgot. This is at f1.8 1/4 second at 40 ISO.