Jump started my car with the help of 6 Panasonic NCR18650A this morning...

You can, but you have to be very careful about controlling temperature and charging. There are similar products out there, but they cost much more than a standard battery, $200 and up. Until the technology gets better and prices come down, a combination of a normal lead acid battery and lithium based jumper in the glovebox might be the most compact and cost efficient solution for now.

KuoH

As strange as it seems, for the purpose it’s very hard to do any better with newer technology. L/A is one of the few battery technologies which can deliver the huge amp draw of the starter motor cheaply and reliably. What I envision is a combination of super-capacitors and a smaller LiPo battery once the cap technology becomes cheap enough. Of course some new motor technology could change the picture too. We live in interesting times!

Phil

Are the OPs batteries still safe having put out so many times their rated capacity?

ask and ye shall receive (though i think half the price would be more reasonable)

I check the voltage and all the batteries were above 4.1volts after 12hours and I haven’t charged them back yet.

That is not the point, such rapid draw may have damaged them internally which can lead to explosion risk in the future.

I see what you mean: it was a quasi short-circuit on the batteries for a couple of seconds. I will measure the internal resistance and report back.

That is not going to answer this question, for example when a battery gets below 2.5V it undergoes internal changes that raise its risk for explosion, its internal resistance wouldn’t be significantly affected, nor its state of charge coming off a charger, but its still much more likely to explode later.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest how to test if a battery have undergone internal damage…

Your batteries are fine. What people do not understand is that jumpstarting a car does not eliminate the vehicle's battery. Jumpstarting gives that extra "push". Otherwise the car would not start. Too many assume that a battery is stone cold dead when it will not start a car. That is false. When it drops .1 volt below minimum modern permanent magnet starters cannot engage. It is very much unlike the old brush-style starters.

For a vehicle to run nowadays it must have 12 volts (actually a little less but for all intents 12VDC). Less than that will not allow for injectors and coils to fire or pumps to run (sensors work off of 5 volts)

You need hundreds of amps to start car but very few Ah, 6 capacitors with the capacity of 6 eneloop can start a car, but 6 eneloop (or even 12) don’t have a prayer

Thanks bugsy, that’s what I thought too: I did not start the car with the use of 18650 batteries but with their help to give a boost.
Using only the 18650 could probably not start the car.

NCR18650A cells have internal current limiting (PTC). Obviously it didn’t trip, else it wouldn’t have worked. So the current wasn’t high enough to damage the cells.

If an NCR18650A is shorted, the PTC trips after 1-2 seconds and limits the current to a few amps. No harm done to the cell, but after such an event, the PTC has increased resistance.

Like electric motors? IMO lead acid batteries fit combustion engines quite well. Both are 19th century tech. :wink:

Yep, we’ve put a man on the moon and split the atom over the last hundred years, but we still have magnetic induction motors, lead-acid batteries, and I-C engines making our daily lives function. Hard to beat really good ideas like those but someday we will.

Phil

When we have corporations who are given massive subsidies to maintain the status quo, spend billions of dollars to prevent progress that may destroy their golden goose, who bankroll lying and cheating lobbyists, advertising campaigns and propaganda designed to manipulate society to maintain the status quo at any cost, this is the result :frowning:

I don’t think it’s intentional. It’s just that nobody has come up with anything better that is truly as viable for the masses. Lots has been done with less limited budgets and with specially trained users. I don’t think it’s too far away when something better becomes the norm; mostly it’s a matter of costs today- the technology is there already and is improving pretty darn quickly.

Phil

+1 on what Bort has said. My pet discussion is along these very lines.

There is a lot of oil left, but it won’t last forever. Something else will have to come along sooner or later.

Its extremely intentional, i wish it weren’t :frowning:
I won’t get into a long debate because i don’t think SB would approve