Just a few newbie questions...

I’m gearing up to begin my first try at modding a light. Going to start with a simple emitter swap.

Am I assuming correctly that a MCPCB is another word for a “star”? (and there are either round or star shaped)

And a “sinkpad” is a brand name of a popular MCPCB/star that is based on copper instead of aluminum?

The copper sinkpad is preferred over an aluminum MCPCB for better heat sinking abilities?

One of the reasons to “reflow” (attach?) a bare emitter to a sinkpad is to get the particular emitter you want on the size of sinkpad you need because you cannot just buy some of them already attached?

Pretty sure the above statements are correct from reading through some other threads on here but there are so many advanced topics to sort through. Please re direct me if these have already been answered somewhere or if there are particular topics/threads I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance to everyone who posts a response.

EDIT:
I may get a few SK68 lights and some empty hosts (HD2011?) to play around with emitter swap and flashlight builds for learning fun.

Hi,

Take a look at the Flashlight Wiki Terminology page:

http://flashlightwiki.com/Terminology

Jim

Sounds right to me, good luck and have fun.

What emitter are you swapping ?

Yes, your first bright light, and you are hooked forever. Everything you see will be in Lumens, Chinese Lumens, OTF Lumens, you will become so lumatic that you will order 15 of the same torch, just because you can’t stop yourself. You will want Lithium, more Lithium until you are on a permanent Lithium High. You will want just one more torch, even if you can’t remember their names anymore, another member will enable your desires until you tremble at the sight a new light. You must have it — you will start hiding your torches, from your wife, your girlfriend, your kids. You will always be broke, you may even buy hundreds of dollars with of drivers, emitters, lens’s, batteries, another EDC, there are never enough torches for your insatiable appetite — welcome to flashlight mania…and the nicest people you could ever know… :bigsmile: :beer:

XM-L T6 3C or 4C (or better yet XM-L2 T6 3C/4C) into an UltraFire C20 (Crelant 7G3CS clone)

The current emitter is an XM-L U3 1C, reported in a review to be on a 15mm PCB.

LOL yes it can be a little addictive. Xeno e03 was my “Gateway drug” to serious addiction after a series of store bought lights and this monster. So I’m not really new to flashaholism, only to modding. I’ve never done any mods or emitter swaps before.

I already have several high power lights (HD2010, Blackshadow Terminator) some other lights with 14500, 18650 & 26650 Li-ions, and have more lights on order and planning on buying some other lights soon.

All to blame on BLF!! :heart_eyes:

Then Spam it is and marked as such.

Was it wrong to quote it? Sorry, I wasn’t sure what it was, thought maybe someone posted something in wrong thread by mistake, that’s why I quoted it.

In a word, yes. maybe you could go back and edit your post to delete the quote.

Cheers

Thanks, I’ve never went on that site before. The Terminology page confirmed the questions, also a great reference site.

Thanks didge for the advise, I just deleted the whole post since the spam post disappeared.

Thanks, no problem, I’m learning. :nerd_face:

Interesting that this T6 4C does seem to exist officially, only T5 4C.

Have you seen a XML2 or U2 T5 4C on a 16mm anywhere?

(5000k is 3C? I’m assuming, according to the chart in this link)

I see here the XML2 T6 is is only available in 5000k, not sure about U2

Source: Cree® Binning & Labeling XLamp® XM-L Family LEDs

I’m on the hunt for an XML2 3C or 4C (or XML U2 3C/4C) pre mounted on a 16mm board, but so far I haven’t found any, if anyone knows where to find one.