Just bought a Fenix TK70 and now I need batteries

I managed to snipe a Fenix TK70 off eBay for $125 shipped. Sadly, its coming on the slow boat from China, so I have plenty of time to get my battery situation handled.

I need low self discharge NiMH D cell rechargeables and a charger. My research has led me to Tenergy, Maha Imedion, CTA, and Accupower for cells.

I would prefer to keep costs somewhat reasonable. What do you guys suggest for 4 low self discharge D cells and a charger?

I found this Tenergy 4 cell charger on Amazon for $25. Not sure if itss a great deal or not. Thoughts?

Anecdotal evidence here says that Tenergy’s suck in the TK70 and Imedions are way better. Does anyone else agree?

The Maha 9500mAh Imedion batteries are flippin’ expensive ($64), but if they truly are THAT much better I will go for them.

Is there a cheaper LSD battery with similar performance?

I read recently that the Tenergy Centura LSD was a better D cell than the Imedion in every aspect (internal resistance and capacity, etc.). I’ll try and dig up the link.

Found: http://datalucis.com/

Found in this thread

Nice catch indeed, enjoy!

I don't really have anything to add to this, but great catch!

So far the Tenergy Centura’s are in the lead according to that test data Slim Pickens provided. Does anybody know the cheapest place to source them from?

BatteryJunction has a good price on them the non-LSD Premiums currently. I’ve bought Centuras from All-Battery.

They are 10000 mah and seem to work excellent.Extreme cold does have a effect though. :bigsmile:

$125? What a great buy!!

Yeah you stole that thing!

I didn’t see any near that price in “completed listings” on ebay however. I wonder if they hide the really low ones that pass by?

I just got it for Christmas, you will love it.

I use these: Amazon.com

They have worked great in the half hour or so i used it last night. Even when i left it in the cold car for a few hours, turbo still worked for me.

and this charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-T-9688-Universal-Battery-Charger/dp/B002FKNPBY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1356552534&sr=8-12&keywords=tenergy+rechargeable+D

you need to be selective in the charger you get because many wont do 10,000mah.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CPKQVM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

Thanks everyone! I ended up ordering the Tenergy Centura LSD D cells and a Tenergy charger.

God I cant wait to get this thing. I will have to see if i can convince my friend to come take some pictures with his DSLR at the 1000 meter range at Colorado Rifle Club. I wish I had some more super throwers for comparison.

Anybody in Colorado that wants to possibly meet up there with some more throwers? :slight_smile:

Just got my TK70, haven’t tested outside, but inside it’s only brighter on turbo mode vs. TR-J12. Otherwise on high J12 beats it on flood and brightness. The hotspot is not as intense as my Trustfire X6 either so all in all. Can it be I’m using 5 C batteries and it’ weaker than 4 D-sized batteries?

Not sure…. But that would be my guess…

You can use C batts

yea I used some paper to center them on the contacts… 5 C batteries are approximately 250mm (5 x 50mm) and 4 D are approximately 246 mm (4 x 61.5mm). Will probably get some decent ni-mh later.

Forgive my ignorance. But WHY?

I don’t have any D sized batteries on hand. Thinking of grabbing some powerex nimh or some cheap 2500mah enegizer nimh.