Just bought Acebeam P18 looking for batteries and holster.

Thank you for all the great commentary on here.

I am an engineer and am very careful about technological issue. I was seeking advice from this forum and I got what I wanted.

I would like to get a protected cell for improved safety. If I could buy a single Acebeam battery I would consider it strongly because the current and capacity and protection and size are all there. Seems hard to get all that in other places.

One of the sites has them and let’s hope the shipping is reasonable!

I live in NYC USA.

The “Heavy Duty flashlight” was about the headlamp for the thread that i posted for, plus it was something like a question ( … !? ), about my flashlights i said that i can feel the quality even when i unscrew them, go back end check it again !

And probably if you follow me so closely… you should know what flashlights i have… !?

@TARTARA :
Ha !
Just connected the dots, you’re the
Fenix E12 V2.0 & Fenix WT25R lover ! :smiley:

You are not compromising by buying another 21700 cell from a manufacturer. Acebeam doesn’t make batteries. They just don’t. Period. So you aren’t putting a Acebeam battery in your light. You have a battery with a Acebeam cover on it. That’s it. Any 21700 from any reputable manufacturer, sold by a reputable seller, will work perfectly. You aren’t gaining any performance, saftey or dependability by buying re-branded cells.

Again, Acebeam doesn’t manufacture their own batteries.

It’s just the facts. It’s not a opinion. If you want to blow your money on re-branded cells and it makes you feel better inside, then by all means do it. But don’t do it thinking you are gaining some type of advantage by doing so.

4 Thanks
  1. I went to the product page of the Acebeam P18 on Acebeam’s own site and found the model number of the battery in the product subscription: IMR21700NP-510A

2. Found the product page for the IMR21700NP-510A: Acebeam 20A Rechargeable 21700 Battery - 5100mAh|AceBeam® Official Store | Flashlights, Tactical Lights

3. Found the key spec, Max Continuous Discharge (15A)

4. Looked for a battery from a reputable manufacturer with a Max Continuous Discharge rate of 15 amps or higher with as much capacity as possible. It doesn’t need to be a perfect match, just as long as it can output 15amps or better continuously.

Out of the cells on 18650batterystore that are in stock, I would choose the Samsung 50S. The 25A continuous discharge rating is a bit overkill, but the brand is reputable and having extra current handling capacity won’t hurt. You could potentially shop around on other sites and find a cheaper cell with a 15a continuous discharge rating from a good brand and save a few dollars. This is already half the price of the Acebeam cell though.

I did not choose a protected cell because they are not a guarantee of safety in any way. They protect against things that a sufficiently advanced flashlight (like the P18) should already have built in protections from. (overcharge, over discharge, short circuit/over current, and temperature) However, I do not personally charge my cells inside flashlights but use an external charger with built-in protections so your judgment on this may vary.

I didn’t worry about length much because I hear this light has springs on head and tail so any 21700 cell should reasonably fit. It isn’t a bad idea to ask around on the forums though to see if anyone else has tried a particular cell though. You could potentially narrow your search to button-top cells if you want to be extra-certain that the cell would fit.

4 Thanks

You can get Three of these for the price you’re paying for that rip off Ace beam rewrap! :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

This is the Samsung 50e cell. Rewrapped. A good cell.

.There’s so many others you can get as was already mentioned. In my 12-year flashlight career I’ve never bought a battery off of Ace beam, Nightcore etc. It’s ridiculously overpriced and these other cells are as good or better for half the price or less.

Do as you please young man.

As toddcshoe has already mentioned. Don’t be fooled that a protected battery is any better. The only ones I have are 8 to 10 years old and not used that much. I’ve been only buying unprotected cells the last 8 years or so.

Good luck with your new :flashlight:

1 Thank

The Samsung 50E is a good cell but it might not be the best choice for the P18 with a Continuous Max Discharge rating of 9.8A. I say this based on the specs of Acebeam’s included cell, I haven’t seen real-world testing of the amp draw in this light.

The data sheet says 15 amp along with Liions #'s

50E2 is 9.8amps.

That spec sheet screenshot shows 15 amps maximum discharge, it doesn’t specify max continuous discharge. I’m thinking that the max continuous is still 9.8 amps and 15 amps is just for use in bursts. Seems like a unfortunate omission on the part of the website to list the higher number and not the lower one.

Jon from Liionwholesale did not misinform anybody. He put 15 amps maximum discharge current. Not CDR. It could have listed both. I’ll mention it to him.

Your recommendation of the 50s is a good one. I have six of those.

Edit: I read the above spec sheet again.

It says MAXIMUM CONTINUOUS DISCHARGE CURRENT- 15000 mA(15amps).

Isn’t that the same as Continuous Discharge Rate?(CDR)

With “Continuous” being the key word.

I can certainly appreciate your approach and perspective as an engineer! I browsed around to learn more about this particular light…several good reviews but none had everything we hope to learn. Seems they ship the light with the protected cell - that is more de rigeur lately than for any particular benefit, truthfully - but the light has very good and apparently dependable low voltage cutoff protection, and seems to have a good charging circuit as well (often the charging circuits in our lights aren’t the best by any means, but serviceable). You may be aware that pretty much all cells have some built in protections (mechanical) but the added protection boards serve to cut current in the event of over voltage (defective charging) or over drain (failure of LVP or short circuit)…but they also have limits on the current they can allow to flow as well as adding resistance, which work against max lumens, mostly. There’s nothing wrong with using protected cells but when we have dependable drivers there’s nothing wrong with using plain bare cells. Major brands like Acebeam and others have moved toward protected cells just as CYA, since there are so many people still uneducated about safe lithium use, and a few lawsuits (Olight, mostly) cause them to pause and take the $$$ safer route.

The inner signal tube on this light seems to have prevented everyone from measuring current draw, but guesstimating the binning on SFT-40 emitters and the 4200-ish turbo lumens that Zeroair measured, it’s probably pulling about 12amps, maybe a touch more, but only for a minute. That’s fine even on most 10a CDR cells (although a bit harsh, heatwise, in terms of longevity/cycle life). So given that, and understanding that Acebeam is fudging a little calling the cell 5100mAh, we can kind of guess what type of cell they’re using. Looks like they’ve done LG cells a lot in the past, so it’s probable that they did something like the LG M50 flavors, and those are comparable to Samsung 50E (50G would be better) and several others…and if you chose a “lower” capacity cell in the 4000-4500 range it may not really be any difference in actual run time unless you primarily use the light in lower modes…lots of turbo and high mode and it may be a washout where the lower drain 5000 cell will fall on its face and give the same run time-ish of the lower capacity high drain cells. This light just isn’t pulling a ton of amps so really you can pretty much use what you want. I might not recommend the Samsung 50S just based on its sensitivity to heat and greatly reduced cycle life as is being shown in tests (losses appear to be more severe and much earlier than our usual cells), but it’s a high capacity cell with great voltage retention (just at a cost, and this isn’t really its intended application…probably best with lower currents and float charging). The important thing to remember here is this light has a current-regulated driver, so it’s not like a FET driver that turns open the spigot and can make a battery that unhappy…most 21700 cells aren’t going to complain and you don’t need the high drain to accommodate what this light will draw since it’s so brief.

Illumn is one of our long term great suppliers and they have the similar usb-port Acebeam cell in stock, singles…have to pay shipping and as of recently they had to rescind our small BLF discount, but it’s still a good deal. https://illumn.com/21700-acebeam-imr21700np-510a-5100mah-20a-high-discharge-protected-button-top-usb-c-recharge-port.html

Andrew & Amanda have been around a long time…dependable. They have the same cell you got…same price, plus shipping…they may float you a BLF discount if you ask. They had a new rep that was posting on the forum a lot last year but she seems to have disappeared. I think they’re in California but I can’t recall for sure. Acebeam 25A Rechargeable 21700 Battery - 5100mAh

If you really want a protected cell, personally I would straight away buy this one from Liion before I would purchase the Acebeam cell (sorry if this was linked above…just skimmed). I don’t know if they’re using a Lishen or Sinowatt cell in here or what, but they’d probably tell you if you ask them. Liion is a great supplier, different than the rest. https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/protected-5000mah-15a-21700-button-top-battery-wholesale-discount?variant=39848920744005

Might be able to find the same stock cell at Killzone, Longhorn Tactical, Battery Junction, Brightguy, etc…didn’t check those sites out.

Here’s Zero’s review…his graphs/measurements are helpful sometimes, but here he has a couple showing the LVP as well as repeats of the charging…both good and reassuring (not always the case for many lights): Acebeam Defender P18 Tactical Flashlight Review - ZeroAir Reviews

Nick’s review at 1Lumen, overlaps with above but he took the time to try out different cell lengths/types (for fitment only): Acebeam P18 review | Tactical / general purpose flashlight with 5,000 lumens | 1lumen.com

Similar comments from our German friends (no English option…need to translate): Acebeam Defender P18 Review | Taschenlampen Forum

In that review they linked a youtube teardown video of a similar earlier Acebeam 21700 cell…using the (now defunct maybe?) LG cell. If you haven’t seen before how protection circuits or buttons are added to stock cells, this is good to watch (although I would use a little different technique than he did). We have a wonderful electronics wizard who has done zillions of battery and device tests for us over the years…he’s on hiatus but he did test this same cell, and it’s clear that Acebeam is fudging stats, which is typical with rewraps and the big brands. Doesn’t make it a bad cell, just goes to show that they may not be selling what they’re advertising, and you can do the same or better by yourself and choosing a standard cell or at least a differnt vendor for similar.

HJK’s BLF post here: Test/review of LG 21700 M50 5000mAh (Grey)

And here’s his review on his website…if you nose around it’s a wonderful site, so much information. I’ll link his battery comparator for 21700, too (pick a cell from the drop down, then pick a second, and on the graph you can check or uncheck various currents and see how they do vs. another…great tool).

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG%2021700%20M50%205000mAh%20(Grey)%20UK.html

Comparator (21700 lumped in with 18650…other size groups linked at the top of the page): Battery test-review 18650 comparator

He’s got some good general articles, too…scroll down the page and there are several on cell disassembly/inspection showing add-on circuits and such. Actually a really neat one on disassembling 9v batteries, too. Information

2 Thanks

Tartara, I can’t see whatever you posted…flagged and hidden again. Shoot me a PM if you want.

@Correllux .
What a super answer. I am sure it took a very long time to put together.
THX !

1 Thank

Amazing post thank you @correllux.

1 Thank

Woops! I saw the first pic and not the second one but for some reason I still used the term “spec sheet” when I should have said “product listing”.

The second pic does indeed show the key word “continuous” with regards to the 15a discharge. This is weird because when I google “Samsung 50E spec sheet”, every result I’ve opened has shown 9.8amps continuous discharge, 14.7 max discharge. I wonder if something has been lost in translation on this spec sheet. I notice that the company name at the top is EVE instead of Samsung. Maybe something was transcribed incorrectly. I could believe that a large company like Samsung could afford to hire better translators/writers.