Just can't resist ordering the BLF Q8.

^

Upon rereading my post, I totally see that and worse.

Ah, thanks for the tip! I never found the other additional strobe modes, the click window is pretty short. What a fun light!

A few years ago I had a moved-while-screwing-the-tube magnet short a Panasonic 18650PF inside a mechanical e-cig. In 1-2 seconds it heated up to to a point that I couldn’t keep touching it and I almost burned my hands while unscrewing the tube to open the circuit. What was going to happen next, I am not sure. Maybe just melt the e-cig, maybe vent through the vent holes of the e-cig and successfully launch it to outer space, maybe the vent holes wasn’t big enough and couldn’t prevent the tube from exploding. And these are my thoughts about only one “safe”, high quality, high-drain battery in an e-cig with vent holes. I can think of worse scenarios than that if using a flashlight with no vent holes, 2/4/8 18650s and, maybe, less “safe” cells.
So, yes, no magnets.

Magnets removed.

I only did it with one light but that was obviously a very silly thing to do

I’ll be honest. I have NO idea why I ever thought that was a good idea. (DOH!)

Ack!!

Good: Banggood delivered my Q8 much more quickly than I expected.

Bad: They split my order, so I have the light, but no batteries or charger… :person_facepalming:

If the rest of my order doesn’t show up in a day or two I might be hitting up the nearest vape shop.

I impulsively ordered one of these too. Im a sucker for fast shipping too, so I paid the $10. Should be here in about a week.

If you really are that desperate, buy one high drain button top cell, you can run the Q8 fairly well on one cell, you just won’t see the peak output.

Yeah, might do that. I have a S2+ in the mail that I need a cell for anyway. I was going to use a protected cell in that one, but I’ll stop at the vape shop and see what they have if nothing shows up in today’s mail.

Not exactly desperate, wasn’t really even expecting to have it already, but I will have opportunities to use the Q8 this weekend and it would be a shame to leave it at home.

I KEEP forgetting it will do that.
Thanks for the reminder. LOL

No,
please don’t do this.
If you run a Q8 on full power on a single Samsung 30Q it can heat up the spring and it will lose tension and sags.
Somebody in the Q8 thread had done this.

Edit:
It seems it was the Miller with two 30Q on full throttle.

Djozz too

Haven’t you read the Q8 thread completely? :slight_smile:

That’s good info Joechina, thank you. (No, I haven’t quite made it through all ~17k posts over there yet lol.)

Wow, good to know this, thanks!

Yes thats true. The lamps where prototyps. But I don’t know how much better the production springs are.
The principle is the same with one battery you have 4 times the current and a 30Q can deliver this, the spring gets hot and weakens the tension.
I wouldn’t risk it.
But you can use the Q8 and one cell if:

- don’t run it on MAX or

- you use a half empty high drain cell

• when you have bypassed springs you can use MAX on a fresh 30Q

Having hard time finding decent button top batteries for Q8. Most places are out of stock.
Is Banggood or aliexpress reliable to get batteries? Any other US source with good batteries in stock? Leaning towards Samsung or Sony but open to suggestions.

thx

Got a set of 30Q buttons from FT a while back.

MTN Electronics 30Q in stock

I just ordered the Q8 as well. It will be my first venture over 1200 lumens. I’m excited. Now the wait……

Well, my nearest vape shop didn’t have any 18650s I thought would work in the Q8 without a solder blob and they wanted $12 a cell, so after some more reading I ordered a pair of flat top Sanyo NCR18650GA’s from Illumn. They’ll ultimately be for my S2+, but since their tops sit proud of the wrapper they work in the Q8. Pretty amazing light when you’re coming from the relative muggledom of AA & AAA edc lights!! Will definitely buy from Illumn again, ordered on Sunday and arrived today (Weds.,) with the cheapest shipping which is awesome.

Yep… real hard to beat. It costs around a penny per lumen.

Hard to best that……. :+1:

I forget where I first saw it here, but I ordered a camera flash lambency diffuser the other day and it looks like a pretty sweet diffuser option for the Q8. :+1: