Just got my D40A

Can someone give me details about how the switch feels, like is there any kind of click when you press it? Does it feel like it will last or does it seems like one of those that will stop making a good connection after 6 months and make the light useless? I’m weary of electric switches, especially this kind, but everything else about this light seems perfect so I’m tempted. Just for context I sold my EA4 because the switch was so damn horrible on that thing.

Also something that might help make the switch easier to find would be a small circle of grip tape placed over one or both of the switches.

Is the price still best over at doingoutdoor and you have to email bill.qiao for a specific coupon?

its a few bucks cheaper at illuminationsupply with coupon code laborday (might end up being a few $ more after shipping, but u get it faster)

Better act quick. There's less than 7 hours left on this deal.

Isn’t price on doingoutdoor inclusive of shipping like most other Chinese sellers?
Edit: Just got the code from Bill Qiao - his price is still the cheapest I think

I was sceptical about this style of light and avoided the EA4 like the plague because I just couldn't see using 4*AA cells when a single 18650 or 26650 can supply more current. I bought the D40A and am a convert for sure! I can't sing it's praises enough. I took it to the shore with me last weekend along with my SL3 and a few other lights and it simply destroys the others especially the SL3 I was using at the same time. WAY brighter and throwier. From the 3rd floor balcony it was lighting up the lots along side of us like nothing while the SL3 looked pale and dim in comparison. The interface is awesome and it has all the blinkies hidden but still there if you need a beacon, or strobe, or SOS.

If you don't have one yet or have been considering one just stop thinking about it and do it. If you are avoiding the D40A because you already have an EA4, sell that EA4 and put the money towards the D40A. If you can't get a deal locally on this little beauty then contact FT and ask for bulk pricing on a single D40A. You will be shocked how much cheaper it could be. ;)

I think there was a picture of what’s under the plastic cover of hte D40A around somewhere.

But it feels like one of these kind of switch under the plastic. I prefer the feel of the EA4 switch to that of the D40A. I too have a bit of a problem finding the switch area on the D40A, it’s little bit too subtle with the smooth plastic covering.

I'm more worried about the plastic covering over the switch. Those always seem to fail on my laundry machines. So far the buttons on my microwaves and fridge have held up though. I'd feel a lot better if I could buy some spares so I can keep this light running in tip top shape for many years.

Good to hear that its such a good lithium lights destroyer :P!

BTW, while FT might be the best place to get regular version, Id say that Doingoutdoor has the best price for NW version.

I received mine yesterday, NW, tint seems good, Im not a tint pro, yet wanted something that renders colors close to their natural-daylight appearance rather than have it all dominated by cold white luminiscense :)! Will compare it to EA8W when it arrives.
Its SMALL :D! Its lightweight, its bright and it has plenty of modes!
It has mode memory!
It has really low-low that is surprisingly usable!
It feels good in hand!
Holster is good, lanyard has weird attachment point but it sort of makes sense to be where it is.
Starts on TURBO if youve locked it out physically and not with buttons, which, as I see it, is intended due to this lights big output and decent throw. If you need low, you can access moonlight mode directly and it has plenty of light to be usable, also, next mode after moonlight is low, so, I dont see any problems, this light will suit both those who want to start on low as well as those whod like to blast this light on high instantly, well played, Sunwayman!

One thing Im not a fan of it the way this light behaves to signal you when youve locked it out with dual button press - it gives you full strobe for fraction of a second, which isnt the best way to signal you in any of use scenarious IMO.
Also, when you lock it out with buttons, it will not come back in moonlight mode if you had it, it will come on turbo when you unlock it!
It looks like it comes back on MED when being locked out in other modes, which is OK!

Now, to the concerning parts:

No lube on threads!

Damaged anno at the tailcap:

Does the battery tube with “Sunwayman” name on it has to align with switch? I mean, none of the four flat parts on the battery tube will align with switch, is that OK?

Should I contact my seller regarding these matters?

To address your concerns:

1. No lube on threads - the manual says that “The right amount of lubricant will be applied on the flashlight O-rings before shipping…When there is little or no lubricant on the O-rings and it’s difficult to twist between threads, please apply lubricant on the O-rings in time.” My threads are a bit dry, but there is some lube to be seen, and it is not difficult to twist the threads.

2. Damaged anno at the tailcap. My copy arrived perfect. I think you would be within your rights to get a replacement. I would personally accept the anno you have shown, as the lesser aggravation compared to the return process. That’s up to you.

3. Name aligned to switch. My copy turns another 90 degrees compared to yours. My understanding of the thread manufacturing process leads me to believe that it would be prohibitively expensive for SWM to align the name with the switch.

Thanks, Wilson!

I will see in what condition my EA8W ( from the same seller ) arrives and will compare them regarding anno quality ;)!

Where did you buy it from !

Doingoutdoor com

Ah shit… I just ordered the same thing from them like 10 minutes ago….

Can you comment on the tint ? Think it’s a 3C or 4C ?

Is there any green or yellow tint or is it truly neutral white ?

Also, yes you should contact them !

I cant comment on ’C’s of the tint, however, according to my review of SD10WW I think that its mostly on the neutral side, at least compared to my two other neutral/warm lights that I have:

Best Of Best - SD10 review with comparison pictures/explanation

And it was months ago when I got this light, this thread is pretty old itself ;)! I did contact them and got a refund for dents in tailcap, didnt want to spend time and send it back since its cosmetic tiny marks anyway and I will beat up this light with regular use more than that ;)!

Ah IC. Partial refund is fair for the dents so long as everything else is OK.

Looking at your pictures it seems kinda yellow. Is it really so warm that it appears yellow ?

When I compared them in real life, those tints looked different, however youre right, in picture it appears more on the warm side, while in reality it seemed like neutral tint.

The warmest one is SD10, then follows EA8W while D40A is all neutral while those two other lights appear to be towards the warm side, even tho EA8 is pretty neutral, but IMO not as neutral as my D40A.

Hope that helps :D!