Just made a helmet lamp

I never knew that the LXM/P-RS was called a Leila, cute name. I’ve had one (out of 2 optics) in my helmet light for a while now and a friend has one in a single XM-L helmet light I made him and we both really like the beam. It’s like a narrow flood or a wide spot - no real spot to speak of, but not super wide either. I imagine that for caving it would be perfect as the need for 100m+ throw is probably fairly limited (from my zero experience of caving :laughing:.

here’s a beam shot of the LXP-RS with an XM-L@1.5A. As far as I can tell, the LXP and LXM are identical, only the holder is different with LXM having a larger hole for the LED. LXP is at the bottom:

New build has double the power!!!

I have to find some glue that stays clear for those gasket retainers.

Nice. Reminds me of Wall-E.

I would never have thought to use a Hammond enclosure for a head light because of the weight. It looks like it can take a lot of abuse though! I like it. Thanks for sharing it with us! :bigsmile:

That would be interesting, that latest build has a lot of curb appeal.

It all started on a drawing board or better yet on a monitor

The plan seemed good but I was worried if I could really cram everything in the Hammond box

Drivers and spot leds are in place and flood leds wired. Checking flood, checking spot. So far so good.

Closed with a 6mm Makrolon

And the solution for batteries

It is appropriate tat we take a bath before we go out

So far I like it :slight_smile:

I haven’t mounted it on a helmet yet, because I’ll make a sort of clip that will allow single hand removal/mounting of the lamp while
retaining tilting. I’ll also add battery meter from hobbyking. The driver for flood is LD29 that is actually current regulated (no PWM, 2,6A max measured with single XML). I used two flood leds for better efficiency and possibility to upgrade with more powerful driver. Spot leds are in series and driven by KD 7135 V2 (2,280A) linear driver. There is a debate whether this should work or not. Spot starts flickering on max if it gets too hot and stops as soon as it cools (under tap water). The canister was the hardest find. I couldn’t find right one until I found out about geo caching and their cache containers. It’s a Mighty Mega and it’s a perfect fit.

slow clapping bravo
nice idea about using cache container :slight_smile:

Nice builds. Very ingenuous and resourceful. Thank you for sharing. Those cashe containers look awful handy. Looks like you could make a homemade SRK from one of the Mega’s. If you get a chance, would you please post the internal dimensions?

Internal:

• diameter 48,5mm
  • height without o-ring 86mm (add ~2mm with o-ring)

What is SRK?

Sky Ray King.

Thank you Matjazz. texaspyro mentioned Nichia’s above. I’ve been in deep gold mines in California, but I have never caved. It would seem that the superior color rendering of the Nichia 219’s would be nice have for the floody emitters. Downside is that it the Nichia are less efficient.

Thanks for the battery pack recommendation. Cheap and sounds perfect for a 4 cell setup. Nice work on everything else, as well.

That is brilliant!!

Good thinking and great sourcing of the parts for the battery carrier enclosure. What a great idea!

I love this mod. High tech components and ingenuity! Thank you for sharing this.

About two weeks ago we went to a cave and I took the light 800m underground. It fared well and here’s a beam shot of flood :wink:

Very nicely done, thanks for sharing that. What ISO, aperature, and shutter speed were used?

Great light!
Looks very nice and practical. :slight_smile:
The cave looks like fun too. It’s a shame the mountauns over here are so far away.

Exposure data:
ISO 800
time 4s
aperture f3,5

I used Pentax WG-2 waterproof camera in “night scene” mode and on a small tripod

Thanks for that, my last cave shots did not turn out so great, your focus seems nice and sharp. I’ll give those settings a try next week when I get another chance.

Was that camera auto focusing or did you manually focus?

I set manual focus to infinity and drive mode to 2sec delay.

Thanks, I’ll see if I can improve on the next set of cave beamshots I try.