Just ordered a Maxa Beam

Wow nice… unfortunately I’m not anywhere near knowledgeable to do any of the things you said :slight_smile: I was looking at one on eBay but I would’ve had to send it to Peak to get the software updated to enable constant high mode, and who knows how long the battery and bulb would last. No warranty either obviously. So I called Peak and they gave me a 10% discount with a bunch of accessories, etc

Post some pics when you get it, would be awesome to see.

They are an amazing light i got one a while back and it never failed to make me smile when you light something up so far away, there is not much else on the market that has that kind of throw.

Ha thanks my friend. I’ve been wondering if it will be impressive enough to justify the price. I’ll definitely put in some beam shots. I’d love to take it to the beach to shine off the top of some buildings but I’m not sure I’d be able to transport the battery in my luggage.

Ahh,… so you bought a shinny new Maxa! :+1: Keep in mind that arc lamps dont like to be used in short duration (short-cycled), regardless of what a manufacturer might claim. Doing so greatly reduces the life of the lamp and igniter, and the inherent reliability. If you’re able, turn it on and leave it on. Plan extended run times in areas where you can put it to good use.

Put 4-5 full discharge cycles on it while still under warranty to assure that everything works properly. Time each discharge cycle to assure the cell pack isnt diminishing in performance. Even new packs can have flaws and its best to test them under warranty.

Its very simple to use a larger 12V battery while using the optional cigarette lighter plug. I also carried a larger AMG deep cycle battery in a small backpack that provided around 4 hours run time. Removing the heavy battery pack from the light and placing the power source on my back made it so much easier to carry and use. The extended runtime got me out onto the trials during the hot summer months when the night air was cool. Dont forget to always carry a reliable backup light with enough extra cells to bring you home if/when your Maxa goes dark. Just my .02 cents…

Enjoy!

I still use this one in the jeep. 8000 lumen 100 watt HID handheld spotlight conversion.

Ha I got it today. It truly is amazing. I love everything about it.

I was especially surprised at how wide the beam can go. I programmed right toggle to continuous full blast and left toggle to continuous strobe. I thought about setting left to low power but I didn’t notice much of a difference between normal and low mode. The needle beam is sweet too. Like a white laser shining into the sky

I haven’t figured out a button sequence to lock it yet. I’d hate to accidentally bump the red button and blast someone in the face!

I love the idea of the backpack. You prob look like one of the ghostbusters:) I’d love to get some details on your setup if you have a chance to message me.

Thanks again, for the advice!

Awesome!

Any beamshots or measurements? Do you have any other throwers to compare it to?

Im glad you’re enjoying your new light. I sold my Maxa Beam a few years ago (because the light I built in the link I posted above better suited my purposes). Its easy to use a larger battery with your light. If it wasn’t included with the kit, just purchase the 12V cigarette lighter plug adapter. Then you can use it in your car or with a remote cell.

Then buy something like this to connect the lighter plug to a female receptacle and the terminal rings to a battery. I made my own using 10 gauge stranded marine grade copper wire and heavy copper terminals to reduce any voltage losses and assure a high quality connection. But you can probably get by with less. Make sure the adapter uses nothing thinner than 12 gauge wire and the length does not exceed 3 feet. For the smaller cell, I used the Odyssey PC680 for its AGM construction, deep discharge & high cycle capability, 14 pound weight and rugged internal construction. These start high compression 540 CID aircraft engines and its one of the gold standards among high performance experimental aircraft and other demanding power sports. For the larger cell, I used another AGM aircraft battery, but I dont remember which one. You can recharge the battery with any quality 1-3 Amp automotive type battery maintainer. I use only Deltran battery maintainers to protect my expensive AGM aircraft batteries, but there are also others that come highly regarded. Noco comes to mind. Dont skimp here and buy a cheap charger if you go that route. Whatever you buy, make sure its a multi-stage charger capable of charging AGM batteries. Also monitor your battery voltage the firts few times with a DMM and dont let it drop below manufacturer recommended minimums. You will get a good feel for the voltage depletion after 2 or 3 discharge cycles and not need to monitor it much after that.

There are also 12 volt LiFePO4 batteries available with similar advertised capacities. But most are junk and dont perform nearly as advertised. They also lose capacity quickly after a few charge cycles. So you would need to do some research if you go that route and need a charger for that type of cell in the appropriate voltage.

How many Ah is the lead acid battery that comes with it?

It’s a:

“7.5Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery”

I got the one with the “fuel gauge.” A button you press and a vertical line showing how much juice is left in it

Wow man you’re blowing my mind. Yep I got the GO package that includes the 12 volt cigarette plug adapter. I’ve been wanting to get night vision goggles for a long time and if I ever do I might get the IR filter.

I need to find a good place to fire this bad boy up though. My boy lives like 2.4 miles away so I’m thinking of standing on this big hill near my hizzle and seeing if he can see the beam

Cool! Great that yours came with LiFePO4 packs, and I assume MB is using top-shelf cells. The better ones typically allow for an extended number of discharge cycles. Unless you have a specific application, I think you’ll be underwhelmed by the IR filter/night goggle setup. I had several 1kW arc lights (link in signature) that came optioned with selectable IR filtration. The “wow factor” using night-vision optics under IR lasted less than 5 minutes. With so much concentrated photon energy at hand, I was also afraid to damage peoples (and animals) eyes, since they wouldn’t see IR light if it shinned in their eyes. Just the reflections from tightly focused unfiltered light bouncing off reflective objects was often enough to blind me temporarily. YMMV…

Thanks for the IR advice! I think I’d get bored with it quickly.

Ya the battery is pimp. It’s like half the size of a loaf of bread everything is rock solid when j connect it.

Do you know if there’s a button sequence to lock the light? I’d hate to bump the red button and blast someone in the face.

I’d love to get into the KW lights. I bet those are hard to come by though right? Like the giant one on the Luxor in Vegas

As I recall, there was no lockout. Id call their CS to voice your concerns. They used to be very knowledgeable about their products, and Id assume they still are. I doubt they’d still be in business if they weren’t. I unplugged the cigarette plug from the battery when done for the evening.

Used military arcs are still available to those who are patient and search diligently. Your wallet and creativity being the only limiting factor. Pointing these things up at the sky or shinning distant objects becomes boring within minutes. Safely mounted to a vehicle underway with a means of aiming it, and a whole new world opens up.

Ya they’re awesome. I just emailed Annie thanking her for the light and asked if there’s a lockout. I’m probably going to do a backpack battery setup like yours.

Mounting on a vehicle sounds great. Maybe I can attack your battlefield Illuminator to the roof of my Prius :slight_smile:

Where did you get it from?

I decided to buy it from Peak so that I’d know it was tested and under warranty, etc

Took it out tonight and it was pretty dark. Man the throw is unbelievable. It was also cool to made the beam a few feet wide.

Had it on high for at least half an hour and when I got back the fuel gauge still said the battery’s fully charged. I put it on the charger anyway

Brought my white Acebeam X75 as my backup light. That thing throws out an incredible amount of light.

Don’t bother. Unless you are putting an IR module on your firearm to aim it at night and only momentarily don’t bother. All IR does is draw a lot of attention to yourself with others that use NVGs.

Nice thanks!