Just Received The DQG Tiny 18650 II Light-NOT RECOMMENDED!

I have the DQG 18650 Mark I and I was not impressed.

The light felt quite flimsy in the hand and turning it on was a 2-handed operation. Even then it was easy to accidentally skip modes.

The worst problem was that the battery tube was too small for my protected 18650s. The tube seemed to taper at the bottom where the spring was… so the 18650s would go in … then get stuck and be impossible to remove. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bottom of the tube just so I could push out a stuck cell. The only 18650 I had that fitted with no issue was my 1600 Mah AW IMR 18650.

The beam was nice. It was a very nice neutral tint with a defined hotspot and a moderate amount of spill. It wasn’t exceptionally bright or impressive though.

I understand they fixed a lot of the problems with the light in the new Mark II version (it now has a removable tailcap so any stuck cells will be easy to push out). But I think I’ll steer clear.

I now wish I could change the title of this thread to DQG TINY 18650 LIGHT-NOT RECOMMENDED! UPDATE-CHANGED IT!

This thing gets more and more frustrating the more I use it. :frowning: It was getting harder and harder to twist on and off and when I removed the head again, the second O-ring I installed was twisted and ripped like the first and I finally found out why.

When the manufacturer cut the threads into the top of the battery tube, they cut them too far down and the bottom thread is cut into the space where the O-ring is supposed to go. This thing is not a double O-ring head, it’s not even a single O-ring head, it’s now a NO O-ring head! Any O-ring you try to install is going to get ripped up by the threads.

I suppose I could try and file down the bottom two threads but man, what a hassle and I’m not sure if that would even work.

It’s also now flickering and missing modes when activated. This is the most frustrating and maddening light I’ve ever tried. Talk about “buyer’s remorse”! I’ve read about all the problems Version 1 of this light had and I thought being the “improved” Version 2, it would be safe to buy. Not so.

These DQG lights are certainly a hit or miss. You would have thought that they would have worked these problems out by now. I’m going to contact Wallbuys where I purchased this and see if they will send me a replacement. It’s probably a long shot but I can only hope.

I got my cool white one for $26 or something from Wallbuys Hourseckill and I’m very happy with it!
When I received the light the o-ring was in shreds, but the new one has remained intact. After cleaning and lubing the threads, operation and mode switching is very smooth and easily done with one hand…. :slight_smile:
Only thing I don’t like, is the need to use unprotected batteries, I prefer protected ones! But since this was known in advance, there is no-one to blame for it, I just had to get a couple unprotected ones… :wink:
I really like the size and lack of blinky modes and when upgraded model appears, I’ll probably get a warmer one…

Gebe, you can change your thread title. Click on the Edit tab at the top of the thread.

Thanks much my friend!

This light is crazy and drives me nuts! I’ve tried everything to get it to work and it will work fine for a few tries and then it suddenly will leave out the high mode or start on the high mode.

Anyone have any ideas that might solve this? Thanks much.

see post #6 .

I will never buy another DQG again…

Thank you for your sharing…

i hate twisty lights…
put a clicky on it

Thanks for sharing. Y’know, on paper at least (and looking at the photos) it looks like a darn-good light.
I almost pulled the trigger on this one. Now I know better. :zipper_mouth_face:

Mine is not as bad, but has very inconsistent mode changing - can't fix it, annoying, frustrating, etc. Me too - never another DQG.

Thanks for sharing, Gebe. Been looking at getting a DQG. Guess I’ll steer clear.

That suck, i thought an improvement were made from the first one. thx for sharing btw

That's a bummer. I steered clear of stocking the DQG Tiny 18650 because of way too many stories like this one!

I have a DQG AA, AAA and Ti AAA all with XP-G2 LED’s.

All of them are perfect.

+1

But adding a switch will make it less compact in terms of length…

small price to pay if you end up with a torch that works properly.

I used the tir from mine in a c8 mini build. I hate this light, if anyone wants the whole light, minus the tir, id send it for 15$ shipped.

Minus the TIR lens, wouldn’t those remains make a mule? :wink:

For me it makes a bunch of useless aluminium :smiley: