Kaidomain H1-A Driver - safe operating temperature?

I want to use the H1-A driver for a custom helmet light to power a XHP50.2 led. At full power (3 amps) the H1-A gets really hot, especially the big grey part. Can’t touch for longer than 1-2 sec. Does anyone know the critical temperature of this thing?

I would like to add a picture, but i can’t see any option to upload.

As long as you can touch it for 1-2 seconds, it should not be a problem.

1. Are you running the H1-A driver outside the flashlight for testing? It will get hotter outside cooled passively rather than seated in the flashlight, with heatsinking to the driver helping with power dissapation.

2. If you want to be safe just in case, get a small thin copper sheet cut to the inductor(big grey part) and stuck using silicone thermal glue. That will help with heat generation.

1. Yes, so far i only did “outside” test. The driver will be inside an aluminium housing.

Originally i thought to just put the driver inside the housing kind of like “floating” with no real connection to the casing. That might be not good for the heat transfer.

Do you think it is a better idea, to mount the inductor directly to the housing? The only option would be opposite to the MCPCB, the hottest part. Then the driver gets the heat from the led.
How can i add pictures btw?

2. That’s a good idea for testing.

To post:

1. Upload an image to say:

2. Choose your pic and resize it to 640x480 in the resizing menu.

3. Copy the hotlink for forums link.

4. Click the small picture icon the comment box called Insert Image, and put your URL in it.

And you’ve uploaded a pic.

Ok, thx for the picture info.
This an modification to an existing light XANES XL03 LED. The light is really small and therefore not much space for options.

I hope the drawing speaks for itself. Unfortunately the original case has a hole in the middle. Hence i want to add an aluminium-insert (red part) for better heat transfer from the led to the case.

The question is how to mount the driver for best heat transfer/cooling.
Option A) connect the driver pcb outside diameter (see A) makring) to the housing with thermal silicon. There would be a small gap between al-insert to keep the direct heat from the led away from the driver.
Option B) This is pictured in the drawing. Mount the driver directly opposite to the MCPCB of the led.

Case with led and driver.