Knife Review: New Ganzo G724 Axis Lock Folding Pocket Knife with coupon code ($10.59)

All I know is that now I can clean anything outdoors gear related inside since I started using these kind of CLP’s. The smell is attractive enough to my wife that she cleans her own .22, kitchen knives and other stuff (works great on hinges), that is enough to dispense any worries on price for me. I get to clean in the A/C in summer and the heat in winter, instead of freezing/baking in the garage…

The Tracklube smells kind of like old Zebrastripe gum, the frog lube is minty and the Seal1 (personal favorite) is a sweet/fruity/bubblegum smell. They all clean well (eat carbon) and the protection is great. I really like that I do not get a “solvent headache” after using them. I think Tracklube+ is the parent compound and the other two are derivatives for firearm cleaning, but they all work…

EDIT: that Boeshield looks very interesting as well, thanks aL1!!!

Well guys, thanks for the info. I guess I’m going to have to try a new lube.

Thank you mhanlen for that informative review. I have a Ganzo G720B and I’m very pleased with it. Up front I have to apologize if the following strikes a nerve with you as my comments are not to dis-respect the work you did in for this review, you did an excellent job. I read and listen to many reviews that refer to 440C as a mediocre blade steel. Nothing could be further from the truth. I learned from a custom knife maker, years ago (early 80’s) that the cutting ability of a knife is more about how the blade is ground, from the spine to the edge, than the material itself. That’s why good old tool steel knives are still popular as ever. If the blade is ground correctly it works. Does 440C stand up to abuse better that VG10? Maybe yes maybe no, but if it doesn’t, it should be easier to sharpen. I had to reprofile my G720B to get the edge I wanted. Since then I made push cuts into fatwood, cut up numerous boxes, plastic containers, and did an experiment and used it to baton through some dead maple branches. All I’ve done to the blade is to clean it up. I haven’t had a need to actually sharpen the knife but I have run the blade across a buffer and it’s still sharp. I look foward to your reviews on the G722 and based on the your review on the G724 I’m placing an order for three of them today. Thanks again.
Jim

^this, and the heat treatment of even a steel like VG10 can kill it… I used to think 440C was junk, not so, edge geometry is a huge part of cutting ability. I like the fact that Ganzo does NOT use hollow grinds on these blades.

Thank you ReManG, totally forgot about heat treating. Just a short note regarding hollow grinds vs flat grinds. All have their place. As I recall, that’s why Bob Loveless was getting $800.+ by professional hunters, for his Drop Point Hunter, which was hollow ground way back in the mid 80’s.

Thanks again mhanlen for the code, it saved me about $5. for three knives.
Jim

Man, I was impressed with the 722. I chopped like an ax with it, and it held up very very well. I understand it was not designed to do it, but I figured I’d try to add an abuse test to the reviews.

If this was intentionally funny- it made me laugh! If not, I apologize for being a juvenile.

No offense taken at all. Thanks for bringing up something I have probably overlooked. I often times get carried away with setting up cameras and other stuff and forget about stuff not mentioned in the specs. It’s often hard for me to tell with the naked eye which grind is which- so I pulled out a magnifying glass. The Ganzos (that I own 722, 7215, and the 724 are flat grounds. Does this seem accurate? Looking at a diagram I know what it’s supposed to look like but it’s sometimes hard to tell at that scale if there’s an inward curve.

I will strive to put a macro of the blade profile in further reviews- and I’ll see how well my lens resolves this detail in a future review. Thanks for the kind words and this sort of stuff helps me to make my reviews more detailed. I strive to give people the tools to make an informed purchase when seeing a review of mine.

If you’re a juvenile, I certainly am too!

I just love your reviews!
Calm, informative with a funny edge, and have a professional look to me!
You know what you talk about and gearbest is right to send them to you for reviewing!!

Keep it up!

Am I correct that the 720, 722 and 724 are all very similar knives, in different sizes (and colors)? Thanks.

I don’t have the 720… But the 722 and 724 have several differences. 722: frame lock, g10 scale on 1 side. 724: axis lock, frn handle. That and the 722 is bigger and heavier. Both have thumb studs and a similar style blade though.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Might add the 724 is a midi-sized "clone" of the 720.

I have the 720 and it is one robust piece for sure. Luv it. :love: