[FINISHED] Köf3's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category

Lots of labour invested :muscle:

Does it get hot quickly @ 7,8A?

Yes, but not as much as with most other flashlights since there is a lot of thermal mass behind the LEDs. (Pill and outer casing)

I think after one or two minutes it will be too hot. I think 1600 lumens are possible with this configuration. Not as much as 2000 lumens, but it is more than enough to light up the dark.

Nice job koef3! Looks like a bright little triple there. Will the flashlight contain batteries?

Li-Ion 18650, as usual.

21700 does not fit unfortunately, since the inner diameter of the fitting is too low and it is not good to drill it wide open, because it is likely that it is weaker and not as stable.

1 Thank

I built the tailcap switch today. (No, my project is not dead. :wink: )

Unfortunately the originally planned stainless steel switch doesn’t fit in the tailcap properly, so I had to switch to oldschool rubber switch cap.

Unfortunately, my cheap drill bit was really messing around, so my small rotary tool had to save everything again…

The tailcap is built the classic way. My goal was to keep the design reliable and simple. The switch PCB is held by a brass ring like in many other flashlights. It was made of a piece of my fittings.
After that I grinded some edges in the ring, so I can turn it in.

The switch PCB is self made. I don’t have any PCB that is in the same size. I used FR4, of course.

This is how the PCB looks now.

Built into the tailcap. Now the tailcap is working fine!

3 Thanks

The project is finally finished!

Here it is, the Tubuslux One. :slight_smile:

It weighs 417 grams with battery, is 137 mm long and has a max diameter of 31 mm.

It delivers 1600 lm from 3x Nichia 519A sm353 R9080 (3500 K min. 90 CRI), with a maximum current of roughly 8 Amps.

It looks beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The switch is working great. It has a good pressure point, clicks firmly and is easy to operate even when wearing gloves.

Isn’t she beautiful?

From right to left: Wurkkos TS10 mini brass, Emisar D4V2 brass antique, Tubuslux One

Here are some impressions in use for daily tasks:

12 Thanks

It looks great, congratulations!

2 Thanks

Well done the light looks good, its probably not a EDC friendly flashlight or at least wear a belt if you do EDC it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Thanks

Well, I think it is not “everyday survival gear” :smiley:

but, at least in an emergency, I would definitely trust this lamp with my life… so it is still some kind of “survival gear” :smiley:

2 Thanks

She is beautiful! She also works! Congrats!
No snow in the forest. I could dend you a little.

2 Thanks

From a few plumbing parts to that…AMAZING. Congratulations!

4 Thanks

Great job @koef3 ! I absolutely loved reading about your build. Its both functional and also visually appealing. Fair play there mate!

1 Thank

Congratulations on your newborn family member :baby_bottle:

Great job. I’m watching, taking lessons and hopefully one day I’ll join the tournament myself…

3 Thanks

Thank you :slight_smile: I already used this light as primary light source for a longer walk. I am not really happy with the FET based driver, but one day maybe I am able to get a 22 mm boost driver with proper regulation and - maybe - Anduril…

Maybe next year? :wink:

But beware, I have some new ideas in the pipeline for the 12th OL challenge :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Thanks

Nice job koef3! Looks really good. :+1:

How much time would you estimate that you spent sanding and polishing?

In total 30-40 hours for the whole build, maybe half of it for sanding. I spent also some hours for choosing the right components and looking for best solutions…

Even polishing the surface as last finish takes over an hour…

1 Thank

Here are some more impressions of this brass beauty:

Here is a comparison of both beginning and end of this build:

A lot of difference I think :smiley:

11 Thanks

Nicely done, dude!

2 Thanks

I love the last few photos. Looks very shiny and appealing!

1 Thank

That is a really nice flashlight, Köf3! Very nice work! :sunglasses:

2 Thanks