Laptop or desktop

I’ll take backup on this offer—Just in case it falls thru

Desktop+Tablet(Android or IOS). Good tablets can be a full replacement for most notebook uses and you can connect BT mice and keyboards + some allow even HDMI-Out.

These guys are right, you already have a better computer than most of us here, you probably just need to download some programs and clean it up.

Just for grins, before we start recommending how to do that completely, how about downloading this single free program for free, updating it, and put the settings on the deepest clean, and running the most thorough scan, and then telling us if you found anything?

Make a restore point and then download this Antivirus for Windows 11 | Windows Antivirus 2023 | Malwarebytes Windows 11

Downloaded it so it's scanning right now

Thanks Brad i downloaded the link and did the scan and my laptop cough fire......................HAHA j/k works much better and i can know get back on firefox,copy/paste ect........how often do u guys clean your pc ? and another help question what virus protection/malware do u have after this im looking to buy some stuff to help protect my laptop

Did it find any problems that it removed? If so, how many?

a custom built desktop has no match… whats ya budget ?? and what will be the intended usage ??

Webroot Antivirus Basic $20 at Walmart for 3pcs or check amazon for download—been using about 2years—funny thing is it says BLF is a unsecure website LOL—you might also want to lookinto a program that removes junk files—history—fixes registry—defrags registry—I’ve been using Ace Utilities for about 8yrs

Download the free version of Avast antivirus and go through the settings to make them all the at the highest level, and then do the Full scan.

Then download Superantispyware free, update it, set the settings on the deepest levels, and then do a full scan.

Then do another restore point.

Then download Glary Utilities free, update it, click on the “1 click maintenance” check all the boxes, and do a scan and cleaning.

After that you should be pretty much back to normal and know that you are safe. I only use free programs and I scan all the time, on a modern computer you can scan while using it, and I also scan when I am not using the computer.

download tools like ccleaner (freeware . fliehippo . com )
also download avast antivirus (home edition - lifetime free) been using for good 6+ years
for rest let me know the symptoms your machine is showing and i will be able to help you out resolve the issue.

also for starters. back up your data.if nothing works out. we can perform a factory restore and it will be as good as it was at day 1 :slight_smile:

No antivirus here :bigsmile:

Only occasional ccleaner.

Thanks guys ill look into them, i think it found 68 things that's what i hey for not checking anything lol

Wow, 68, then follow those directions in post 48, and remember that your free malwarebytes remains as part of that list as well, so when you finish everything else, do another scan with it and remember to do scans every week or so, you don’t have to be sitting at your computer when the scans are being done.

You will like the result of the Glary Utilities scan, it removes cookies and temporary files which frees up space. After your hard drive is clean and secure, then defrag it.

These are the steps I do when saving someone’s computer, you don’t have to do all this once things are back to normal.

Too many Windows 8 fans here :stuck_out_tongue: If software compatibility wasn’t an issue, I’d be on Linux. A desktop is the only thing meant to be on continuously(as long as you buy the right parts) and it can host all the programs that need to keep running, that’s why I make them low power. A laptop is for full computer use anywhere. However, I don’t want to pay outrageous money for a laptop, just to match the storage and ram on this main computer, that I want and need. Got an Acer laptop I think in 2003, It’s still fine(few upgrades) for what I need it for, but I use phones(for computer stuff) more than it. I think a tablet is the way to go for general internet use. With a stand and a bluetooth keyboard you got a notebook practically.

I couldn’t imagine using a PC with backups and Acronis images—Starting from scratch and loosing everything must suck

For anyone about to buy a new (or used) computer "...you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya...?"

If you care not whatsoever about privacy and security then buy based on the above recommendations BUT if you are concerned about your very own computer phoning home to some far off place and forwarding who knows what kind of personal information even when you did not activate a certain very problematic programme then beware.

Many, many if not most computers these days, including every major brand, come with a certain spyware/malware/rootkit built in to the ROM chip on the Motherboard and there is nothing your Operating System or anti-virus/malware can do to stop it. However there is a way to inactivate it even though you may have not activated it to begin with.

Rather than go on and on about it you can read this link to learn quite a bit about it:

http://securelist.com/analysis/publications/58278/absolute-computrace-revisited/

This paper is written by Vitaly Kamluk who is the Principal Security Researcher, Global Research & Analysis Team, Kaspersky Lab. The team of scientists to whom he belongs is one of the leading virus/malware research groups in the world.

This is good reason to build your own from scratch for new purposes. It is possible to buy your own laptop and specify which exact components (including a Motherboard without this nefarious rootkit) you wish and of course the same holds true for desktops.

If one has a computer with this already on it and you do not wish to have it running then there are ways that are not very difficult to disable it without any hardware work even though the software spawns from a chip on the Motherboard each time the computer starts.

"And that is all I have to say about that." (FG)

Best wishes.

I have found Microsoft Security Essentials to be less intrusive than Avast and others. I also periodically scan with Malwarebytes and clean with CCleaner.

LOL - I finally just upgraded my former daily driver Win 8 box to 8.1 and until very recently didn’t care to upgrade because I’ve used it with Classic Shell since the week I installed it.

When it came out I put Win X Tech Preview on a spare drive for one of our laptops and that has become my daily driver. I only upgraded to 8.1 after I decided to re-purpose the 8 box with drives from an old WHS machine using Storage Spaces. Actually I run both boxes together using mouse without borders and 4 screens (2 for TV and video processing, 2 for internet/office apps) but Win X goes with me when I go portable and want more than a tablet.

So I’ve become a HUGE Win X fan - I’m running X on 2 machines now including my new daily driver and doing testing with the old WHS machine. It works really well for me. No more shell program needed. It’s the improvement to 7 that 8 should have been. All of our machines will move to Win X when the final product is released.

Highly recommended for anybody with a spare drive to give it a try.

For further computer security help and information please refer to Wilders Security Forum which has been in existence for more than 15 years http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

For specific computer assistance (e.g. if you need cleaning/anti-virus/anti-malware etc. help) have a look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Best wishes

SSD is a must for all new system! Currently a 8.1 user myself, have been using Win 8 since it came out. I want to upgrade to 10 but my hate installing from 8>8.1>10 process for fresh installation.