LED strip lighting questions

I have installed a ton of these around the house, including but not limited to: my computer, window trim molding, kitchen counters.

They are 12 Volt so you have tons of options. You can make your own strips using a parts and a soldering iron. Because I have solar system running some Ham Radio gear I have 12 volts handy in my office. So I wired a few there. You computer power supply should also have a 12 volt output. And you can buy a 12 volt wall wart that puts out 2 amps and that will run the entire strip if needed.

For attaching them I use these with some thumb tacks:

They are made of a silicon material. Easy to use & with tacks they can be moved.

As for Chase feature. I haven’t seen any. But, I am sure they are out there.

I use these lights.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this package you will need to have your own power supply. Look around your house. You will be surprised what you have broken that uses a wall wart that will work. A short strip about 3 or 4 feet will work on 12 volts 500 milliamps easily.

Check around amazon and there are plenty of accessories and things that will allow you to create your own rigs. It is easy. Btw, I mix matched some strings and one wireless control can be made to work several strings. The possibilities are endless.

They really look neat and are easy to work with.

Good luck

With power supply and the micro receiver: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-5M-5050-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strips-Light-300-led-44-Key-IR-12V-5A-Power-Supply-/400564084060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d437add5c

Excellent seller and Ive purchased from him several times.

Can you cut LED strip lights to different lengths? I want to install some under my kitchen cabinets.
How would you do this? Do you need to solder wires to the ends of each cut?
Anyone have pics to show how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I got this one from Amazon: Amazon.com

absolutely amazing! Over 100 different programs, and for each program there are 100 different speeds to set the program at. You can see samples of the programs at Youtube. You would not be unhappy with this setup. Only problem is not being able to select a program u like by number but having to scroll through all of them to get to it :slight_smile:

Yes Yes yes. I need to take some pics and post them for you. You can make any length that you need. For each strip you make, you will need to have a power supply & some kinda controller. I cut them, soldered new pig tails on the end. Its only 4 wires to do. Quick & easy. I also have 2 controllers that I control with one remote. All connected under the cabinets. If you have a larger power supply (say 5 amps), you can split off it and run several strips. It wires up, Power supply to the 12 volt controller, controller to strips. One controller can also be wired to run several strips. You will just need a splitter or you can wire it yourself. The splitters make it a bit easier. Here are few links to some of the things you may need. BTW< to get the length you need, you just cut the strip with scissors at the nearest joint to the length you need. Then you have a left over piece you can use elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Splitter-LED-Changing-Strips/dp/B0077IPRAG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1394541938&sr=8-12&keywords=led+strip+lights

http://www.amazon.com/20pcs-Connectors-Strip-Lights-Insert/dp/B008LR35VK/ref=pd_sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FSMHPNC200TRGH776FQ

http://www.amazon.com/ZITRADES-Light-Strips-Female-Connector/dp/B00D0Y8SG6/ref=pd_sim_e_20?ie=UTF8&refRID=18XTNBEKKG038NQ9486N

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Power-Supply-LCD-Monitor/dp/B003TUMDWG/ref=pd_sim_hg_30?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z9VZ4K0QQDJWTT7AC2S

Disclaimer, I used amazon for links only because it was easy for me to search the items you would need and it keeps you from having to open so many windows. Feel free to shop around. Those should give you ideas of what you may need.

Once I got everything in, It took me about 3 hours to rig up my whole kitchen. See my previous post about how to mount them. They all come with “3M” adhesive on the back. I am sure its not real 3M! It barely sticks to anything for very long. So get the silicon mounts & use thumb tacks. It looks super slick when you are done.

Here is a copy and paste from one of my posts:

Here is a closeup of the strip. Notice that each set of 3 leds are in series with each other and a current limiting resistor. On the top and bottom of the strip there are the + and - buss. at each end there are copper solder pads. This strip can be cut to any length as it is configured in a series-parallel connetion.

Thanks guys, great info for a newbie like me.

I have a small houseboat I wanted to have some deep amber lighting in to be sort of like candle light, but candles are too much trouble to use a lot and so are oil lamps. Now I’m using LED strips from Hitlights:

They are RGB and the controller I’m using has a number of pre-programmed colors and allows you to make about 8 custom colors as well. I’m also using two short sections for nav lights on the front of another boat. You can attach the part of the strip marked + to the positive post on the battery and the negative to the part of the strip that is red or green, running the positive wires through the on/off switch. For that you don’t need a transformer or controller. Inside where I wanted the deep amber I got an RF receiver and remote controller, and one of the adapters for 12V which I wired the red wire to + and the black to - on the inverter system battery. I used telephone cable soldered to strips to attach sections of strips to each other, that way it could be any length strip and any distance from strip to strip.

Thanks Saypat. Its amazing how much the Dream Color 6803 IC based 5050 RGB systems have dropped in price. They were over $200 less than 2 years ago. While this particular version addresses emitters in groups of 3, the results completely blow away all the other simple color changing RGB systems, mainly because those only present one color at a time across all the LED’s. The 6803 does sooooo much more, and with simultaneous multiple colors.

Here’s the Dream color 6803 IC saypat just mentioned. Enjoy the light show:

Hey FlashPilot, you are on the same page as me :slight_smile: You posted the Youtube video that absolutely sold me on the system I bought at Amazon. I had to have it. I would have paid more, it was a steal at that price I believe. I could not have been happier with the purchase. And to think I was going to get a run of the mill light strip! I would not have been happy at all. I’m new at this but I heard you can get a controller for the Dream Color Strip and program the patterns yourself. I think they are about $50. I was interested for a while but backed off. I have my strip mounted at the top of a curtain, but behind the curtain so you only see the reflection on the wall, not the bright lights themselves. I got a remote handy and change it often. Thanks for the info on the price. I would have paid $100 for this setup, it’s that nice/fun. Once again, that video you posted sold me! Thanks for posting it.

patrick

Im glad you’re enjoying yours. Im stuck with the regular type for now, which is rather boring by comparison.

There are other versions of the Dream Color set that have individually addressable LED’s, but they are far more expensive.
This one is individually addressable and contains 144 RGB LEDs per meter, 720 LED PER ROLL :bigsmile:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350882545087?\_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can build your won large RGB screens and program them to display all types of animations and effects. Pretty much everything you would ever need is sold on ebay to build a custom system. All it takes is money and a place to tastefully display them.

I think you certainly purchased the best value for your money.

Here is another option:

The original Kickstarter…
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740956622/blinkytape-the-led-strip-reinvented

Their website:

Those are super cool! Big upgrade from the ones I have. Not to mention great price too. The power supply is a bit too big for my application, but if you have the room, that is the way to go! Really neat. Got me thinking, where can I put that thing! Oh, wait. How many amps is needed to run a single string?? They are showing 20 amp supply for 4, so I am guessing 5 amps to run one?? Some laptop computer chargers may work? I need to check that out. Of course under a kitchen counter would look a bit odd with all that chasing. I might go into seizure cooking my breakfast!! Seriously, other places like a window would look KILLER!

Great link. Thanks.

i used to use led strips for undercabinet lights, but it does not last long, in few months of 24\7 running, it lost more than half of its brightnes. driven with 12v it gets hot and even sticking it to aluminium profile does not do much. running them at 9-10v makes them run a lot cooler, but dimmer. i used to double the amount of tape that ran on lower voltage. but i stopped using it in palces that need them to run long time, i use cree leds there, in closets, and inside drawers i still use tape, since it does not ususally run long enough to get hot.
but i do like using5050 and 2835 strips on my dog harness, i ruin it off 6xaaa, and it is still bright enogh to see the dog at night from far away.

on my last project- harness i used rgb led strip with controller, it looked really cool at night in the woods.

Credit goes to saypat for posting the amazon link. I had no idea how inexpensive these had recently become. Amazing bang for the buck, arent they? They wont draw more than 5 amps for the 5 meter strip. I tested mine with a kill-o-watt meter a while back and I think it peaked around 3A @ 22 watts… but I dont remember exactly. Unless you have a PSU from a name brand laptop, you’re probably better off going with something like this or larger. I dont have this particular PSU, but that style typically delivers a bit more than they’re rated. Most of the Chinese laptop style PSU’s deliver far less than they’re rated and typically run very hot… at least the ones Ive tested. If rated properly, you can leave the PSU hidden on the floor behind furniture (or a remote location) and run 12-14 awg wire to the controller and not incur any substantial voltage drop if kept to less than 12 feet (or there abouts). Just make sure the PSU isnt enclosed so it can exchange heat with the air.

Haha! Your dog has a look on its face like you’re laughing at it… poor thing. :smiley: The light harness was a cool idea.

The strips dont last long in continuous use applications. Sometimes you can extend their life by reducing the brightness and hooking the + lead to one side of the strip and the - lead to the opposite end to balance the load. Otherwise the emitters closest to the power leads receive more power, run hotter and burn out more quickly.

Hey FlashPilot, that is a nice power supply! If I had seen that one before I probably would have bought it. I just got a cheapo 12V 5A at Amazon for like $8, it works fine. Wish I had your ‘techy’ knowledge, you are a wizard at this stuff. I would like to be a flashlight modder, but know so little. Perhaps that is best as I might go broke. Presently, after some 3 years, I own around 30 lights or so and somewhere around $500 spent. That’s ENOUGH! I can live vicariously thru the others in the Forum!

peace….

I wouldnt exactly compare me to a wizard, because Ive sure made some expensive mistakes… like marrying the wrong woman and getting a divorce. :smiley: :smiley:

Flashlight modding can be as simple as swapping an emitter and driver with a soldering iron. If you can solder, here’s your chance to gain some experience without spending a lot of money: Group buy for BLF light . See new payment thread for further details. The group buy ends tomorrow so hurry if youre interested.

Yall cut it out! Yall are feeding my LED addiction. A dog collar!!! Now the wife is really gonna kill me! She already complains I have lights on everything. The dog! LOLOLOLOL Its on, I will have that done by Monday. Gonna use a left over Chinese strip and wire it to a old collar. LOL This is gonna be a whoot!

It’s 6am Friday, and I am off to the garage. If she kills me, or puts me in the dog house, alpg88 its on you! :bigsmile:

Care for that rougaru, if i even spelled it right :smiley: